• Register Today It's free!

solid axle from a scout

Monkeybone

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 2wd E.B.
My question is i am about to convert my 2wd to a solid front axle 4wd. i found an old international scout and was wondering if the front axle would work on my X. I have heard that i need a jeep axle, someone help me out with this please. :monkey: :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Scout axle or any CJ Jeep axle will not work unless you figure out a way to get a passenger drop t-case. The 4wd X uses a driver side drop t-case (the front output is on the driver side). Your best bet is to find a Dana 44 from an early Bronco or get a Dana 30 from a Jeep Wrangler, Chrokee or Grand Chrokee.

thanks that is probably what i am going to look for i have a good friend who owns a salvage yard wich is where the scout is he is looking for a jeep axle for me :monkey:

Monkeybone said:
My question is i am about to convert my 2wd to a solid front axle 4wd. i found an old international scout and was wondering if the front axle would work on my X. I have heard that i need a jeep axle, someone help me out with this please. :monkey: :banghead:

Since you ar 2wd anyways you could get a passenger side transfer-case. Just a thought :thumbsup:

mrboyle said:
The Scout axle or any CJ Jeep axle will not work unless you figure out a way to get a passenger drop t-case. The 4wd X uses a driver side drop t-case (the front output is on the driver side). Your best bet is to find a Dana 44 from an early Bronco or get a Dana 30 from a Jeep Wrangler, Chrokee or Grand Chrokee.

How do you tell the difference between the early Bronco axles (ie a 30 or 44)?
I have a set from an early bronco complete with 4.56 gears I would like in my explorer.

I also have a set of axles from a Scout II

what year bronco? it was only the first couple of years that came with D30s. A D30 is going to be alot smaller than a 44 in general, if you look around online you should be able to find ways to positively identify it.

All axles are imbossed with numbers or codes. My old 44 from a 78 Bronco actually had 44 on the back side of the diff. My dads 69 Bronco had a 30 in it and it had it on one of the axle tubes. Just take a look on it. :thumbsup:

395Dominator said:
How do you tell the difference between the early Bronco axles (ie a 30 or 44)?
1st cover, D30.......................................................2nd cover, D44

Attachments

• DANA30COVER.jpg
    DANA30COVER.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 228
  • DANA44COVER.jpg
    DANA44COVER.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 204

Thanks guys. The scout II also came with either axle correct?

I can't remember what all Scouts came with. My grampa has like 4 of them and they all have 44 fronts on them. Might want to try looking up an International website for there Scouts. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Derrick C. said:
I can't remember what all Scouts came with. My grampa has like 4 of them and they all have 44 fronts on them. Might want to try looking up an International website for there Scouts. Sorry I couldn't help more.

I know it was mentioned, but im jsut remindign you, the pumkin on the scout is on the wrong side for the X, unless you plan on running a t-case with a pass drop....

Back