Someone learn me something about air shocks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Someone learn me something about air shocks?

tha704mafia

Reaction score
City, State
MOORESVILLE, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Well i have coil-overs now and i am getting the dixon lt kit but i would use like the biggest coilover made by fox or king and they have all this dual rate to spring hoopla that just i think will cause more problems down the road and i saw air shocks could i run those instead of a coilover they would save me some space and money to. i mean i am more hard trail and rock climbing on the eastcoast not so much jumpin dunes at 90mph ya know what i mean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dual rate coils won't cause you any problems. With the Dixon kit, you can run either an 8" shock with a single rate or a 10" shock with dual-rate. Are you using the Dixon Bros. shock hoop also? if so, I'd ask their suggestion on shock length, since they set it up for a particular length shock.

Air shocks wil probably have a hard time being happy under a heavy truck like an expo...but they might work. the problem is, if they get hot, the small amount of oil in them "fades" and the nitrogen expands, and then they turn into pogo sticks. Since you're not doing much high speed stuff, they might work okay for you though, since they probably won't heat up.

I set up Jeff's (taknitezx2 I think is his name on here) longtravel explorer with king 10" shocks and 550 over 750 springs and it rode real nice. If you're interested in Radflo shocks, shoot me a PM or call me, I can get you a little better than retail pricing. (that pretty much goes for anyone here)

-Brandon- (909)702-7462

IMO -- Just stick with the coil-overs you have now.

And I dont want to pick on Dixon Bros because I'm sure their kit is awesome for running desert, but I dont think their kit is the best "bang for the buck" for rock crawling.

NODNARB well i would use the full dixon bros kit but i would be stacking it on top of my superlift kit which has the drop brackets for the arms and diff, because i am running a 8inch stroke coil-over now so if i got the dixon bros kit with that shock hoop that sticks way up there i would need a 14 or even a 18 stroke thats just guessing off the top of my head and right now i have a 700 spring on mine now and its raked a lil so to go up on rate with 2 spring set-up i would need to have like a 500 and a 250 or 300.

IZwack i would like to stick with the coil-overs i was just wondering about air shocks, and as far as the dixon kit i mean i know solid axle is the best thing for rock crawling but this still has to be streetable if you get what i mean i have another x that i am going to go all out rock climbing with. I mean if that kit gets you 14inches of travel with cvs on top of the superlift brackets and knuckles i should have some pretty damn good flex with the front end i also heard something like dual rate coilovers have more travel in them with the same spring rate than a single spring has that true

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

Oh, dear Gawd! why do you need such a huge lift?:eek: I'd ditch the stacked lift idea and just run the dixon kit, personally.

also, springrates are funny...to find your primary spring rate using 2 springs is this: spring1 x spring2 / spring1 + spring2. You don't just add the springrates together to get your springrate.

example: 600 over 700 lb. spring... 600x700 = 420,000.
600 + 700 = 1,300

so, 420000/1300=323.07 roughly for your initial springrate...then when the top spring bottoms out, you'll switch over to the secondary rate which is 700.

Longtraveled explorer is going to be tippy enough without the added top-heavyness of an extra lift kit.

Oh, dear Gawd! why do you need such a huge lift?:eek: I'd ditch the stacked lift idea and just run the dixon kit, personally....Longtraveled explorer is going to be tippy enough without the added top-heavyness of an extra lift kit.

x2..you would be stacking a long travel kit on a 'lift'..the lift is designed for a taller ride height where the dixon kit is designed to be wide and absorb..so IMO the dixon kit would be a complete waste of money b/c it will not perform well at all in a stacked application..also instead of putting all this money into your truck why don't you just swap in a solid axle up front..that way you can keep your coilovers, get the ride height you want, and have the correct set-up for the driving you want to do..you even said you mostly rock crawl anyways therefore you have no need for a long travel kit.

ok ok my god haha just messing thanks for the info guys

This thread accomplished a whole lot.:confused:

yeah tell me about it

Back