• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plugs

GP-TJ

Reaction score
City, State
NORTH KINGSTOWN
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited
My sons 06 had a miss about a month ago. It has 135k on it with what I believe are probably original plugs. Code was Cylinder 8 misfire. I didn’t have time to do the plugs so I got a new coil. There was moisture in the well when I changed it.

This evening I started taking coils off to be ready for changing plugs in the morning. I have carb cleaner, the TSB, Motorcraft plugs, and nickel anti seize. I also have the lisle tool in case. #8 was full of water. It wasn’t antifreeze.

What are the chances of that plug coming out with a major issue. I guess the water is leaking from the cowl.

I couldn’t find kroil locally but have PB blaster in the garage. I cracked each a little and gave them each a shot with carb cleaner.

Any tips?

Disgusted right now
GP

This is a great video from fordtechmakuloco on the 5.4/ 4.6 spark plug removal

update- all 8 plugs are out. Used the beam type torque wrench to monitor the torque and never went over ~28lb-ft.
I will install the new ones tomorrow morning and replace all of the boots/springs.

Any tips on fixing the water leak through the cowl? I’ve seen a gutter, rtv at cowl, aluminum tape, and rtv at the cop boot.
My sons 06 had a miss about a month ago. It has 135k on it with what I believe are probably original plugs. Code was Cylinder 8 misfire. I didn’t have time to do the plugs so I got a new coil. There was moisture in the well when I changed it.

This evening I started taking coils off to be ready for changing plugs in the morning. I have carb cleaner, the TSB, Motorcraft plugs, and nickel anti seize. I also have the lisle tool in case. #8 was full of water. It wasn’t antifreeze.

What are the chances of that plug coming out with a major issue. I guess the water is leaking from the cowl.

I couldn’t find kroil locally but have PB blaster in the garage. I cracked each a little and gave them each a shot with carb cleaner.

Any tips?

Disgusted right now
GP

Back