Split Armrest Issue | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Split Armrest Issue

We bought the 2011 explorer new back in March 2011, so we were early adopters of that new platform
The arm rest split around 30K-40K miles, I don't remember exactly, panel was replaced under warranty and that second panel split again around 70k-80k miles.
At 96,000 miles the split is about 3" long, one of these days I will try stitching it together with thin fishing line.

Do we like our explorer? Yes, after six and a half years it's still looks like a new/modern vehicle.

The arm rest split is a design issue.

Would we buy another one? Probably not....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good evening,
I am new to the forum and would like some insight. Just before Thanksgiving, I bought a 2015 Explorer Limited with 30,500 miles on it. I also purchased the extended warranty. Just after the first of the year, I took explorer in because lumbar support didn’t work and needed oil changed. Lumbar was fixed under extended warranty. At this time, the service tech said that I needed $1100 dollars in brake work. Rotors and pads all the way around. I was pisses. I told them, there is no way that my rotors and pads needed to be replaced after three months. If so, they needed to be replaced when I bought the car. Rotors were pitted and eating pads. I told them this should have been found in the certified vehicle inspection. The service managers reply was that Ford doesn’t consider rotors a safety item and the rotors were the cause of brake issue. Anyways, after they would not cover the repair, I did the brake job myself. There have been a few other things that I have noticed with the explorer that I am disatisfied with. Door weatherstripping is junk, have loose exterior trim pieces and other small minor things. The most recent, is when I went to get in the car yesterday, I opened the door, and noticed the drivers side armrest had split at the fake seam. Three inches long. I know the dealership will not help me, but I see this as a defect. Kind of like the crappy clear coated polished aluminum wheels. How can a company put out a product and not stand by it. If they produced something that has a defect, they should fix it. It’s not like the vehicle is twenty-five years old. It’s three. These issues should be fixed by Ford. Since my dealership gave me such a hard time with the brake issue, I don’t even want to contact them about the door. Anyone have a contact for a regional service rep for mid Michigan. I live in holt, just south of Lansing. Also, I know this door panel issue is not an uncommon one. Please help.

F10C1F11-EC4A-48E1-A608-293A9EDC9622.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum Drew.:wave:
I merged your thread with this one on the armrest issue.
There are also ones on 'weather stripping problems'; Weatherstrip issues and Door Gaskets / Molding / Weatherstripping
If the brakes were in such poor condition to begin with, the issue should have been addressed before putting the vehicle up for sale regardless of what Ford deems safe or not. I think I'd be looking for another dealership for future servicing.
The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to find existing threads and posts on various items.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Drew.:wave:
I merged your thread with this one on the armrest issue.
There are also ones on 'weather stripping problems'; Weatherstrip issues and Door Gaskets / Molding / Weatherstripping
If the brakes were in such poor condition to begin with, the issue should have been addressed before putting the vehicle up for sale regardless of what Ford deems safe or not. I think I'd be looking for another dealership for future servicing.
The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to find existing threads and posts on various items.

Peter

Thank you Peter! I was less than impressed with my local dealership. Do you happen to know any way I can contact the ford rep in my area? Oh and by the way, I contacted Ford for the brake issue and they said they stand behind their service managers decision at the dealership. I am still pissed off about that three months later.

We used to have dedicated Ford reps that monitored the Forum and they would get the Regional Customer Service Managers involved in certain disputes. The reps are no longer here so I don't know how you would contact a local rep. Here is the info that the previous reps left on their posts about contacting them. Not sure if that will help;
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter

We used to have dedicated Ford reps that monitored the Forum and they would get the Regional Customer Service Managers involved in certain disputes. The reps are no longer here so I don't know how you would contact a local rep. Here is the info that the previous reps left on their posts about contacting them. Not sure if that will help;
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter
Thanks Peter. I will give it a try.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same cosmetic problem with their 2014 XLT. I had Ford replace the driver side door panel just under the 36,000 mile warranty because the arm rest fake stitched seam was splitting for no reason. That was in 2016. Now, exactly 2 years later the new arm rest is splitting. I'm a left handed driver so I don't even rest my arm on the arm rest. Ridiculous for a 4 year old car. I called the dealer and asked if it would be covered again. I got a firm NO.

The rubber trim around the outside of the windows is buckling and lifting too. And the carpeting is fraying and lifting in areas around the seats. I've been buying new cars for 35 years. This is my first Ford and if things like this keep happening, which shouldn't, will probably be my last.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same cosmetic problem with their 2014 XLT. I had Ford replace the driver side door panel just under the 36,000 mile warranty because the arm rest fake stitched seam was splitting for no reason. That was in 2016. Now, exactly 2 years later the new arm rest is splitting. I'm a left handed driver so I don't even rest my arm on the arm rest. Ridiculous for a 4 year old car. I called the dealer and asked if it would be covered again. I got a firm NO.

The rubber trim around the outside of the windows is buckling and lifting too. And the carpeting is fraying and lifting in areas around the seats. I've been buying new cars for 35 years. This is my first Ford and if things like this keep happening, which shouldn't, will probably be my last.
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

So, as pictured, I've got a split on the "seam", actually between the two sewing lines, of the material on my driver door armrest. Thought of patching this from behind with a sticky patch (not much room and foam bits prevent adhering I'd guess), but this likely won't look great. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this? Maybe it's not too expensive to get a used or new armrest piece of the same color and disassemble/reassemble the door components? Perhaps a hot glue gun of sorts and creative pinching? Thanks for any advice. Curse my luck!
IMG_20181220_074726.jpg

I say to bite the bullet and buy a new one from FORD. That arm rest is the most used one in the car.

So, as pictured, I've got a split on the "seam", actually between the two sewing lines, of the material on my driver door armrest. Thought of patching this from behind with a sticky patch (not much room and foam bits prevent adhering I'd guess), but this likely won't look great. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this? Maybe it's not too expensive to get a used or new armrest piece of the same color and disassemble/reassemble the door components? Perhaps a hot glue gun of sorts and creative pinching? Thanks for any advice. Curse my luck!
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the handy 'Search' feature.

Peter

Guys, quick question, the leather door panel on my explorer is splitting in a few spots (see attached image). Does anyone have any recommendations on glue I could use to help fix? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Matt

20190304_083912.jpg

Your thread was merged with this one Matt.

Peter

First off, I don't believe it is leather, nor is it a real stitched seam.

However, you can repair it as if it were a real stitched leather seam - nothing new here - probably been posted previously.

No idea how well the above repair will hold up, but it should be a fair bit less expensive than a new door panel. YMMV, especially if your panel is severely worn/cracked.

ETA - here's another on an actual stitched/leather seam (same principle).

2014 Explorer Door panel arm rest cracking...again??

Has anyone else had their driver arm rest crack at the fake stitched seam? I bought this car with 28,000 miles, noticed within a week that the arm rest started cracking. I had Ford replace the whole door panel under warranty. Now the new panel started cracking in the exact same two spots last fall. I have two 1+" cracks now. I temporarily stopped it with glue, which looks like crap. If I hadn't glued it I have no doubt the whole length of the arm rest would be cracked. It has to be a defect from the supplier.

Hi Pete. The best way to find out if anyone else has had the same issue is to use the Forum's 'Search' feature before starting a new thread. In this case there is an existing thread to which yours was moved. Good luck.

Peter

Good evening,
I am new to the forum and would like some insight. Just before Thanksgiving, I bought a 2015 Explorer Limited with 30,500 miles on it. I also purchased the extended warranty. Just after the first of the year, I took explorer in because lumbar support didn’t work and needed oil changed. Lumbar was fixed under extended warranty. At this time, the service tech said that I needed $1100 dollars in brake work. Rotors and pads all the way around. I was pisses. I told them, there is no way that my rotors and pads needed to be replaced after three months. If so, they needed to be replaced when I bought the car. Rotors were pitted and eating pads. I told them this should have been found in the certified vehicle inspection. The service managers reply was that Ford doesn’t consider rotors a safety item and the rotors were the cause of brake issue. Anyways, after they would not cover the repair, I did the brake job myself. There have been a few other things that I have noticed with the explorer that I am disatisfied with. Door weatherstripping is junk, have loose exterior trim pieces and other small minor things. The most recent, is when I went to get in the car yesterday, I opened the door, and noticed the drivers side armrest had split at the fake seam. Three inches long. I know the dealership will not help me, but I see this as a defect. Kind of like the crappy clear coated polished aluminum wheels. How can a company put out a product and not stand by it. If they produced something that has a defect, they should fix it. It’s not like the vehicle is twenty-five years old. It’s three. These issues should be fixed by Ford. Since my dealership gave me such a hard time with the brake issue, I don’t even want to contact them about the door. Anyone have a contact for a regional service rep for mid Michigan. I live in holt, just south of Lansing. Also, I know this door panel issue is not an uncommon one. Please help.

View attachment 159501
I have the exact same issue with the splitting arm rest. I bought my 2014 XLT. I noticed my driver side arm rest splitting as well and had the dealership replace the whole door panel under warranty. Welp, 1.5 years later (out of warranty at this point) and the new arm rest started splitting in the exact same two spots. So, within 4 years, the same arm rest splits in the exact same two spots on two panels. I steer with my left hand so the arm rest doesn't even get used. Clearly a defect. And your right with all the cheap window rubber trim separating and bubbling up, door seals cracking and constantly falling down, carpeting wearing out, (and I have full WeatherTech mats), back up camera breaking within the first 3 years, $300+ for a new cam (just the part), bad wheel bearings, front edge of the hood rusting etc, etc. 35 years of buying cars. This is my first Ford and probably my last. Very disappointing.

Just scheduled my armrest to be repaired locally. Just recently saw some of his work at restoring leather and vinyl and he does amazing work. When I sent him photos he said he repairs about one of the newer Explorers every two weeks or so. I live in a fairly large city and their are a ton of Explorers around, but that high of number tells me this is a very common problem. I had no idea it had even happened to me until my wife noticed it the other day.

BTW, he said he could glue it and promise it wouldn't reoccur again for $80 or replace the entire panel for $200. The Ford dealer I bought the Ex from said it would be around $250. I'm going to try gluing first since I fear just replacing the panel would result in the same split in about 3-4 years.

Can you upload a photo of the finished repair, I have the same issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FC01D27F-0B33-4C03-8563-F0DF671B1BCB.jpeg
Well I guess I’m next to step in-line with all the other faux split seams. My, purchased new, 2012 Exp. driver side arm rest split at 75.5K so I guess I’m fortunate it went that long. We are in SWF so maybe the heat kept it flexing. Gotta give Ford credit for making a Faux Seam split like a real seam right down the middle. If Ford had just used an ounce more molding vinyl at the seam center this thread wouldn’t exist. It looks like Ford made the center the thinnest part of the seam! Nice Job “better idea guys”.
Well that’s by ***** part of the post. I’m not a seamstress so sewing isn’t an option and the crazy glue looks like a temp. fix maybe to brittle of a glue. I’m considering sliding a piece of heavy vinyl, similar to air mattress repair kit, into the seam and then injecting 3m Auto emblem adhesive with a syringe deep into the seam and taping closed with packaging tape to hold for a day or two to let the glue dry. Hoping this will be a long term fix. I’m open to anyone’s ideas on the repair. My seam photo is attached. In Ford’s defense the split is where I rest my elbow and at times nudge the door open when my hands are full, so the failure was inevitable.

I’ll post my repair pics when complete. Love this Forum, always a great source for common issues.

Back