Sport Trac Coilover Swap Help Needed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac Coilover Swap Help Needed!

Hi Everyone! I am getting ready to do a coilover swap on my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac 2wd and I have a few questions. I have been researching for a couple months now and obtaining parts. So far I have the Superlift Crossmember drop brackets and F-O-A 2.5 O.D. coilovers (14.25" collapsed - 20.25" extended). Being 2wd I have some room to play with for mounting the shocks, I know I need to reinforce the top shock mount bracket. I still need springs, shock tabs, and sway bar end links. I guess what I need to know is what springs to go with 12" or 14"? 700 rate? They must be 3" I.D. for the coilovers. What shock mount tabs should I go with (would really rather go with something cheaper than the rcd ones), and if I mig weld will I need gas or not? What size welding wire? What about the end links, any help guys? Also after all this, with my stock spindles, what possible lift might I be able to expect? I already have a SOA in the back. I have been searching every night after work and I have come up with a good idea of how it should be but these details are still missing. Thanks ahead of time!

wow..those are a lot of questions...i'll attempt to answer a few of them! unless you're making a custom upper a-arm there's no way you're going to fit a 3" coil spring (2.5" coilover) in there...also a 14" spring is what you want a 12" will be too short...and i believe the heaviest load you will find with a 14" is 650lbs which should be fine..and as far as the tabs go just have someone make them for you...any machine or steel shop can cut them for you and while you're at it check out my thread.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193479

wow looks nice! Oh man, don't tell me that. I was going to go with fox 2.0 x 6.5 but they said that it may be a bit small structure wise for the weight of the truck. The f-o-a's have a 7/8" shaft and whatnot. I guess I'm going to have to figure it out because they are already on their way and foa refuses to let me return them without burning me on restocking and shipping. I'm almost out of money as it is. :( Well, how about would I go with doing custom upper arms? Maybe the lowering of the crossmember with the superlift kit will help compensate?

ya even with the crossmember lowered i'm afraid they'll still be too large...but you might try it and see what happens...i don't want to discourage you too much b/c there is a slim possibilty they might work but just keep it in mind that if they don't the easiest fix will either be to get a 2.0 or new upper arms.

Thanks for all of your help. I guess I will just wait and see. Maybe I'll get lucky, it's just a daily driver on-road truck so maybe I can get away with it if I won't need much flex and all... I hope. :p:

Back