starting over again- expo5.0s registry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

starting over again- expo5.0s registry

I decided to start a new elite registry. My old one is like 35 pages long (i'll link to it here) and it is extremely outdated.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103951

I promise to try to post pictures of this one of how i do things etc. rather than just the end products. I hope this will help other people with their own stuff.

I will also link to my write-up i did for Rick and this site on fiberglassing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148359

This thread can also serve as a q & a for that information. feel free to ask me about anything you think i might be able to help with.

also, feel free to tell me i'm doing something wrong. I have no "education" so to speak or training in doing most of the things i try to do of my truck and i'd appreciate being put on the right track if i stray. In the same vein you might want to think twice before following my advice (this goes more for suspension and body work advice than for fiberglass advice, but i obviously can't take responsibility for anything)

thank you for checking things out

-drew

here are the most current pictures of my truck sort of as an overview-

Attachments

• IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,584
  • IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,610

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally shaved my door handles today. Here are a couple pictures. I didn't both taking any of the actual sheet metal work because there are a million write-ups on doing that on the internet and i don't have any useful information to add etc.. I did take a shot of the work done in the door so that it can be actuated.

I welded that bar in there, and welded a tab onto the metal "pull" thing that the door handle is attached to. The kit i am using came with "crimp on" type clamps to hold the wire (the wire that goes from the solonoid to that tab i welded on there) and i don't like those so i didn't hook it completely up yet- I will be using screw down clamps soon.

I also have a few channels left on my remote so that i can actuate other things. I decided i would hook up a solonoid so that i can pop my hood from in the car, but then hit the remote button while lifting up and actually open it (i'll avoid having to reach through my custom grille with a pen or screwdriver). this is something anyone with a billet grille might be interested in doing as well.....

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,577
  • IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,545
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,537

hey whatsup bro. its looking good as always. i havent been on the site forever, thought i'd say whatsup. later.

I went through all 19 pages on your old thread and i get to this one and thers no updates!!!! Anything new with this sweeeet explorer? that huge screen in the dash looks awesome. does it put your passenger side airbag out of commision? i think the ONLY thing i dont like on your explorer is the rims, but thats just because i'm not a big fan of chrome. keep up the awesome work man.

there will be updates sometime soon.

nothing really "done", but a lot of things worked on and progressed.

i will throw some up of some other projects too in all likelihood.

AK! Good Lord, you just never stop, do ya? (couldn't view your cardomain pics cuz of the web restriction here at work, I'm glad you posted them here ;) ) Are you eventually going to repaint it with a different scheme or redo the old one? Looking good, hoss!

yeah, i'm behind again as usual.

I'll try to snap some pictures of my truck when i get home tonight.

here is my new/2nd alt.

Attachments

• 315 053.jpg
    315 053.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 315 052.jpg
    315 052.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,400
  • 315 062.jpg
    315 062.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,393
  • 315 060.jpg
    315 060.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,368

i also cut up an srk5 clarion center channel and custom installed the guts in my audi- the other thing is the processors controller (im running bluetooth ipod, and a dvd player, no hu)

very disappointed that the glue shows- will fix that tomorrow

Attachments

• 315 059.jpg
    315 059.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,398
  • 315 057.jpg
    315 057.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 315 054.jpg
    315 054.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,401

I love the suicide door set up, I always wonderd if it were possible on an X , looks great

i have some surprise suicide plans-

expo5.0 said:
i have some surprise suicide plans-

uh oh expo do you need some counseling or something?? youve got alot to live for i promise!

this weeks updates-

first on the avant install/mods

got new wheels. I'll post the pictures of the ones im running (the black ones) and the oens i borrowed for the last few weeks (silver).

also got the dvd player in and connected with digi cable etc.- very very good sound.

Attachments

• 315 072.jpg
    315 072.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,327
  • 315 067.jpg
    315 067.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,345
  • 315 070.jpg
    315 070.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,302
  • 315 071.jpg
    315 071.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,340

oh yeah-

and i'm suiciding my drivers door/removing the drivers side rear door (shaving it to the body)

here is the progress-

Attachments

• 315 073.jpg
    315 073.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,304
  • 315 075.jpg
    315 075.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,313
  • 315 076.JPG
    315 076.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,290

looking sweet...why no back drivers side door, im confused

had to be removed to weld those hinges in- or do you mean why none at all?

when i finish the fiberglass work in the interior etc. it will make sense why i'm shaving it

i'm sure it will look pretty sweet when your done, but what if one day you think to yourself "too bad i dont have a back door on my drivers side"?

it will suck when that happens

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol alright. i'm sure it will look awesome. i've never read through your threads and seen half-assed work.

Back