Stupid question about head relacement but..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stupid question about head relacement but.....

BlakeOfDoom

Reaction score
City, State
murrieta california
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
I just replaced the heads on a 91 navajo.......It runs rough since I've swapped the heads, every test I am throwing at it turns out fine, there's ne compression problem, all the valves and injectors sound find with a stethoscope....I've had the battery cable off a thousand times....new plugs wires and coil did nothing..... the truck is still hesitant and feels like it is missing, in gear it shakes pretty bad and the throttle response is not great....

so here's my stupid question.....Should I just leave the vehicle running for a short while? could the computer still be trying to relearn everything while I am throwing every test imaginable at it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i can't remember if the the 91 had a cam postion sensor i guess it would make seance since the crankshaft sensor basiclly talks to the cps sensor to say when it's ok to fire a piston ( or vice versa ) .

are you sure you have checked these 2 timeing sensors ...i think the cam sensor is under the fuel rail/upper intake ( block side) back twards the rear of the engine .....i think i saw it when i had my upper intake system apart ...it would go basiclly where a rotor would be but instead it'a a flat type sensor witha pair of wire leads .

As far as I know

the 91 only has a crankshaft position sensor, no parts stores carry a camshaft sensor.......yet the manual says it does.....but it doesn't show the location....

I checked the crankshaft position sensor, seems ok.

I don't think cam position sensors were put in till 93-94. Did you scan for and find any codes?

Try the following in this order:

Double check that the plug wires are hooked up correctly to the coil in the correct order if you have not already

Check and make sure that all your fuel injectors are hooked up to the harness and to the correct connectors

Check your Idle Air Control and make sure it's hooked up

Check all vacuum hoses and make sure they are all hooked up at BOTH ends

Check to make sure your MAF is hooked up and is clean

Checked and double checked

everything seems to be cleaned and connected. everything seems to be in good working order....except for the idle, drivability, etc...ya know, the things that let the truck go forward and backward with minimal input from the operator.

well, there's always pull off one plug wire at a time to see it you can isolate which/if one cylinder is giving a problem.

Back