Swain's Project Hex | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swain's Project Hex

My name is Chris, but I go by my last name, Swain. Actually in real life I go by SwaintaN (half swain, half evil/Satan). Got my 93 XLT back in 2006. Bought it for 800.00 knowing there was a few problems, but the few turned out to be A LOT more!!
This is pretty much what it looked like when I got it (even though taken 2 years later)
471328_156_full.jpg

Since then I have started body works; also shaved rear emblems, side trim and removed pin stripe, done a lot of other odd and ends to it.

So I came up with the label, Project HEX cause im seemed hexd :rolleyes: it seem like I fix one thing, something else will go wrong lol!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Snorkel

Ok did snorkel, need to update my registry :D Here is the post for it.

Here are the pictures, need to get a sound clip for the sound, sounds mean!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I will get some pics of what i did for the front, cause I took off the part that came from the side of the airbox to the grille, also connected to the manifold. Well that part is completely eliminated, sealed off etc, no water. Next is battery relocation and water proofing. Also looking into doing the aux tranny filter.

Like i say "do it one part at a time" best way to make sure it keeps running!:rolleyes:

Edit/Addition:
When drilling the hole, put down blue painters tape, move all the wires in the air, go slow, make sure you do it right the first time, one shot deal, and go straight! If you dont go straight, you have a minor problem at the end (like i did) also be ready for kick back from the drill! All else fails, let go if you cant hold on! Good luck yall!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Its been a minute.

Ha noticed haven't updated in a while, so updating for fun. Had to flush rad, throw in a new lower temp thermostat, reran all new brake lines when i did the master cylinder. freaking bushings in the RC leaf pack busted, shredded, threw out the alignment, luckily the over night new polys when I finally contacted them. the moog tie rod boots, busted up something fierce, replaced them with poly reds to. ran into alota electrical problems with fuel pump just to find out it was the fuse box a wire fried its self up. then its just sat, and sat and sat.

until now! lol. 15x8 American Racing Rims wrapped with 33x12.5, started the trimming but got rained out :( or should say rained in.. lol.. found out to that the cargo cover i got from one of you guys that sat in my closet for 2 years never opened from the package was in mint shape (so thanks!) installed it to hide the third row seat, kinda funny when i tell people it seats 8 legally and they cant see how...

well anyways a few pics. sorry cell phone pics

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ok so went to one of the old towns I used to live in. The Carey Fest was going on. They had cars turning around because they had the road blocked for parade. Well I went down a lil self made road, had to go through gravel, mudd, a field.. hehe.. and watched others try, 2 hrs later after the parade he finally showed up... his might be better looking but mine goes places his cant

picture.php

Bored

Got bored at the new place, had to do some rust repair and muffler work, so took some pics of the ex while was in the yard, nothing big, just bored pics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mini Flexing
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

A Before and After Shot
picture.php

What REALLY sucks, is when your returning a friends jack that you needed to borrow to work on your wifes van, on your way home the explorer breaks (plus the van is still not fixed..) plus on top of the tension pulley locking up i had the kids (4) and the wife with me and the tool box was sitting in the van 20 miles away so thankfully Gary was still working on his Sonoma, pulled a uy and took it back to him, grabbed his tools and his dad got er done, glad it was easy fix but damn for real, got all sorts of other things i need to fix... oh yeah found out my fan is busted up while changing the pulley, yay!

started my non a/c conversion, to get rid of the drag on the belt and open up some room in the bay. Its all painted and sealed together ready just to uninstall all the old crap and get this in there. Ill havta replace fan while im doing it, its all cracked up.
heater2.jpg

Heater1.jpg

heater3.jpg

While I was there I got a free reservoir, mine was cut due to HHO install a long time ago. So cleaned it up, painted it up.
resivor.jpg

Another thing, since vans wife broke alot, dropped 1k into in like 3 weeks, I got my free lights, installed them, screwed some stuff up, but its all good.. getting a bumper in a few months.
lights2.jpg

lights3-1.jpg

lights5-1.jpg

lights4-1.jpg

Another thing I got done, was my ashtray never shut right or at all.. plus the stock lighter caused electrical problems, so heres a new lighter, no ashtray and some interior accent lights.
asstray3.jpg

edit: Night Shot
asstray4.jpg

so you know them hard to find lines and you always gotta rush around trying to find at a junk yard just to find out junk yards nor ebay has that line.... i fixed that... the bottom tranny line that goes into radiator busted big time.. and when reinstall, top line busted.. i was lucky enough to find a line from a member on here and fix the line with it and some hose.. bottom... well i rebuilt it.. this goes right into the long nut that is on the radiator..

parts list from lowes:
pipe tape
A-182 3/8 Flar x 1/4" MIP, half union
a-739 1/4" mip x 1/4" fip, street elbow
a-732 1/4 fip, pipe coupling
a-201B 5/16" barb x 1/4" mip, hose barb adapter
Enough hose to reach desitnation
A-201A 5/16" Barb Splicer
2 Clamps

fixedlineparts.jpg

fixedline.jpg

Updates

I kept losing my battery life. Checked fuses etc, never found out whats going on. Ended up finding a fuse that didnt look busted but was far enough a broke that it was causing a drain. Well ended up fixing the fuse and found out the fuel pump relay was stuck open causing another drain. So got them fixed. Then I poped the Amp ANL fuse because it was strong enough. So ran a 0 Ga wire and a 200 amp ANL fuse with digital output... straight to the battery (side post) Then used a set up for wiring to clean it up and get bigger wires in.
This was my diagram.
PosLayOutredo.jpg

Then final project on the positive side.
Alternator
AltANLBattery.jpg

Alternator Night Vision
AltANL.jpg

All done
posdone.jpg

Hopefully get my negative done soon to.
NegLayOutredo.jpg

Plus I was at Glens Surplus which is like a Mall for Men... all men stuff... and they have older surplus area. got me a "plug n play" wiring kit for trailer lights for only 5.00! Hooked it in to! Hopefully more updates keep coming as money allows.

I had to change out the fpr so while I was doing that decided to do fuel injectors. Talk about a pita. The one close to the fire on driver side and close to the radiator will not press in. Got them in as far as i could and decided to put on the intake and see if it was good enough. Not sure. The yellow ring still shows on them two
20573475_bar_1550264_pri_larg.jpg

But while intake and parts were off the all got cleaned up and painted and cleaned out. Cleaned the MAF inside and out with denatured alcohol.
intake.jpg

Throttle body and intake plenum was cleaned with degreaser and dried out, painted up.
IntakeManifold.jpg

Heres a better close up, got all the little details done.
intakemanifoldcloseup.jpg

Guess ill rip it all aback down tomorrow and try again one those two.

But the damn thing is still trying to die out and stumble when you hit the break after driving, did notice the exhaust is way worse then i thought...

Hood Pins

So got a little annoyed that i was needing 2 people to open my hood. So eliminated the problem and just added hood pins. This is what it looks like now.

2011-08-30185715.jpg

Got my powder coated parts back from Turdle. He did the Plenum and Water Neck in Toxic Green, Valve Covers in Porsche Silver, Throttle Cable Plate Porsche Silver, coil bracket arm is the silver with edges in the green, its all HOTT!! love it

his pic
PowderCoated.jpg

over all installed
2011-11-04174039.jpg

close up of throttle plate against intake
2011-11-04163228.jpg

Coil Arm Bracket
2011-11-04163136.jpg

Left Angle
2011-11-04163123.jpg

Right Angle
2011-11-04163247.jpg

Next im attacking the busted exhaust system, redoing it with Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers and a Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat Convt, which will lead into my Flow Master Delta 40 and out the rear... Hopefully then shes street legal again to.

Oh yeah, took off the Cable that connected all the A/C electrical, i followed it back to the pig tail under the filter box and disconnected it. Also had to REDO AGAIN them damn Fuel Injectors, the front dr side sprung a leak, come to find out, faulty, so its all back in now as well, will watch it for a couple days to make sure no leakage.

IMO if your going to PC something, have Turdle do it, should do it anyways, the age of our Exs, gaskets are bad etc, have the stuff taken off sent to him pc it, you do all new gaskets for it, looks pretty and runs pretty!

Update

SOOO updating on what ive done, really aint much, but means a good bit to me... Im at the final step of becoming Street Legal again so i can get on the road!

Got my headers in (ceramic coated)
headers5.jpg

headers.jpg

headers4.jpg

headers3.jpg

headers2.jpg

They will go good w/ my New HiFlow Magnaflow Caty
MagnaflowCatConvt.jpg

2 New o2, thanks to Rock Auto! The EGR Plug thanks to JD! Cant wait to get this thing all together and back on the road!

so after the horrible mishap of the busted bolt... friend finally got it out for me... so now i got passenger side on and a few other things, hoping to get it all done tomorrow.

sneak peek
2011-12-16191604.jpg

2011-12-16191548.jpg

old cat vs new cat
caty.jpg

Street Legal!

So finally shes street legal, she can be on the road again, legally!

Tip; you plan on doing Headers.. TAKE THE MOTOR OUT! so much easier... haha... here it is, all new headers, down pipe, y pipe, cat convt and extension pipe, also new o2s... She runs smoother then the day i bought her.

Im not used to the quietness, the Delta 40 Muffler just to quiet.

2011-12-18102920.jpg

2011-12-18102936.jpg

2011-12-18102950.jpg

2011-12-18103010.jpg

2011-12-18103025.jpg

2011-12-18134351.jpg

Summer Objective.. since i was under it alot and its been in Ohio for its whole life. there is rust.. and i mean tons of it... so i think in summer time.. im gonna get under there with stop rust and do the whole thing then roll on bed liner for it all.

rock sliders, as soon as i get some good tips/hints on how to do them...

swap out interior seats w/ something newer and nicer...

was gonna do JDs Power House box, but 3rd row put that out of option for me.

then send some things to turdle to powder coat and install new items... like tow hooks finally.. and have some other work done...

So finally shes street legal, she can be on the road again, legally!

Tip; you plan on doing Headers.. TAKE THE MOTOR OUT! so much easier... haha... here it is, all new headers, down pipe, y pipe, cat convt and extension pipe, also new o2s... She runs smoother then the day i bought her.

Im not used to the quietness, the Delta 40 Muffler just to quiet.

yea i dont like the new delta 40s.they are quiet:thumbdwn::(

yea the 'original 40 series' is much better. all the deltas are quiet. i wanna try a super 44 on a catless engine. i think thatll be perfect

I thought the 44s was quieter.idkwhen i redo mine in 3" ill be getting rid of my 40 for sure

Back