Swain's Project Hex | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swain's Project Hex

My name is Chris, but I go by my last name, Swain. Actually in real life I go by SwaintaN (half swain, half evil/Satan). Got my 93 XLT back in 2006. Bought it for 800.00 knowing there was a few problems, but the few turned out to be A LOT more!!
This is pretty much what it looked like when I got it (even though taken 2 years later)
471328_156_full.jpg

Since then I have started body works; also shaved rear emblems, side trim and removed pin stripe, done a lot of other odd and ends to it.

So I came up with the label, Project HEX cause im seemed hexd :rolleyes: it seem like I fix one thing, something else will go wrong lol!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after freaking out because the EX because our DD, having **** link cable problems where it met the bracket at the firewall... Well I ended up with my own fab work, first time doing metal fab work for the ex.. Now I can shift again!!!

This was the final outcome
Top View
2013-01-12_22_29_25_zpsf1271c0d.jpg

Close Up
2013-01-12_22_29_12_zps84ddf254.jpg

Clearance
2013-01-12_22_28_55_zpsb5e8ec61.jpg

Figured if the problem was the plastic just wore down, right now no money for new cable line, so just box it in, with the right angle, cant pop off. Works great. Shifting with no problems. No bindage or stress.

Next I gotta work on figuring out this MPG problem im back to, steering shaft and then body work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So got a little time and had to take dash off anyway.. so the plastic pieces got a new face.. haha...
2013-01-26_16_52_21_zps652defd3.jpg

2013-01-26_16_52_02_zpsbbe658d0.jpg

2013-01-19_14_06_42_zps999a38e1.jpg

these will look better once the reverse glow are installed.

Just cant wait till this summer when I can do something that matters... like the bbk tb, the new 4.10 axle set up, hhr fan and possible dual alternator along w/ underdrive pulley

Haha the budget build has add another one done!!! Something ive wanted to do for a LONG arse time.. because it looks cleaner...Reverse Indiglow Gauges w/ chrome bezel, behind on that is SMD super white bulbs

Thread

Pics
Daytime Shot
20130403_194112_zpsed718c36.jpg

Night shot
20130403_203041_zps296c0630.jpg

Been years since i was able to see the gauges at night!

ty, i know its a serious budget build. but with 4 kids and bills plus everything else just making it a slow build, not much more i wanna do to it, but hopefully itll be done before it qualify for historic tags

ty, i know its a serious budget build. but with 4 kids and bills plus everything else just making it a slow build, not much more i wanna do to it, but hopefully itll be done before it qualify for historic tags

Believe me I TOTALLY understand... I redid my top end only to blow the rings in the bottom... I had no idea that I was low on compression, as it ran fine until I blew a head gasket.

So now mine sits until I gather up the funds to go through the bottom end, and it will be done right, I have read plenty on here and know which parts I will be installing.

It is a good thing my best friend gave me his car he wasn't using for work transportation. It isn't my first choice in a car (that and I am not a car person), but you can't argue with over 30 mpg and FREE.

Ha im not a car guy either or van guy. When Explorer breaks we use van and vise versa. Its funny (in a good way) how how some people will have a 25 page build. With expensive things. Wish I could to. But serious budget build. Plus have fun doing it and learning things.especially with the help from this site.

Back