Switching to Synthetic Motor Oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switching to Synthetic Motor Oil

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
I will have my first oil change due in December , by then I'll be around 12,000 kms or 7000 miles approx. We will be heading into the dead of winter by that time and temps will plummet right around that time for a few worst months of winter. I want to go with a synthetic oil for better winter flow, I think the majority of break-in is going to be well done by that time. Any opinions against running synthetic on the second oil interval ?, thanks for any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been running synthetic oil for about 12 years now on an Acura, Honda and now my Ex. The Acura has 175,000 miles, the Honda about 80,000 without an engine issue on either.

Engineers tell me that today's synthetic oils hold up to both extreme cold and heat, the breakdown is very slow. With a very good filter (premium brands for the Ex are just coming out) the oil will last much longer than any of us would expect.

I will have my first oil change due in December , by then I'll be around 12,000 kms or 7000 miles approx. We will be heading into the dead of winter by that time and temps will plummet right around that time for a few worst months of winter. I want to go with a synthetic oil for better winter flow, I think the majority of break-in is going to be well done by that time. Any opinions against running synthetic on the second oil interval ?, thanks for any replies.
I can't see any problem with your intention. I assume that you will then keep using the synthetic oil for the rest of the time.
I just had the oil changed at just under 6000kms. It was just over 7 months ago that I took delivery and I was getting Winter wheels/tires put on at the same time. I plan to change the oil every 8000kms or 6 months, whichever comes first. FYI, they used regular 5W-20 oil.

thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated. I will likely run the synthetic all the time after the first change, my preference is to have synthetic in the engine for winter months as it does flow quicker and dry cold startups are tough on an engine. There probably isn't as much of a benefit in summer use but I will still run it for consistency.

As far as I know the Ford Motorcraft 5w20 is a semi-synthetic, though that term has been *******ized by just about every oil company out there, likely means a mix of group 2 and group 3 oils, but that's anyone's guess.

I wouldn't switch back from synthetic one you start running it.

Besides, it's dirt cheap now. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at Walmart are $25.... At 192k miles I switched my '96 over to Mobil 1. I change it every 10k miles. It now has 287k miles and doesn't burn a drop...

Mobil 5000 oil is NOT synthetic and lasts 5k miles so why can't Mobil 1 last twice? I'm good friends with a Mobil salesman and he says Mobil 1 is good for around 15k miles....

I switched my '11 over to full synthetic at 7500 miles. I've done that with just about every vehicle I've owned. Even our '66 Mustang runs on synthetic.

Per the discussion, I would recommend full synthetic and not a blend. Full synthetic contains no organics, where blends are a mixture. Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum, Mobile One, Castrol Synthetic are very good and will ensure your engine lasts.

I did the first oil change at 3K, and the second at 7K. That's when I switched to Mobil 1 and I change that every 7K miles. I made 2 trips from Long Island, NY to Maine, 2 weeks apart, same weather, same route. The first trip with conventional oil, the second with Mobil 1. I got 1.2 more miles per gallon with the Mobil1 than I did with the conventional oil. On a 400 mile run from Columbus, Ohio to Harrisburg, Pa, the Explorer averaged 26.2 mpg. That sure beats the 19 mpg I got on my 03 Expedition!
-Steve-

When can I switch to synthetic

Want to change my oil at the 1,000 mile mark and was intending to use synthetic in my X. I was told to keep conventional oil in the engine until it has 3,000 miles on it. Supposed to seat and lubricate the inards of the engine better. Switch after this mark. Never heard of this and wanted some feed back as to whether this is a good or bad idea. :rolleyes:

You can use synthetic at anytime. Don't waste money on a 1000 mi change...completely un-necessary. Wait until the oil monitor signals you.

Mobil 1 0W30 Oil Change

I just had the oil changed the other day (at Wal-Mart about $76) and selected this oil:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-30.aspx?WT.srch=1

This is the Limited's 5th oil change. Mileage is about 28,000. I've been using 5W20 Motorcraft full synthetic since oil change #1 (<1,000 miles mark).

I selected this oil for a few reasons:

1) I want the 0 weight for cold winter start ups
2) I wanted the 30 weight for a little more high temp viscosity
3) Mobil is a good product
4) This is a gas efficient formulation
5) Hoping for a little smoother engine performance at the highter RPM's
6) Get rid of the clanky metalic engine noise (normal) on cold start-ups

I've alway thought the 5W20 is too thin. I ran the 5W30 full synthetic in my 2007 Eddie Bauer for over 120,000 miles with excellent results.

So far, my initial findings with this 0W30 Mobil 1 are very favorable. Cold engine start-up sounds nice and butter smooth. The engine sounds like it was already warm. Coldest temp so far in the Chicago area has been about 20 degrees. Not really "cold" but the truck sounds much-much better than compared to the Motorcraft 5W20.

Fuel mileage looks good, no change.

Engine does not sound any different at higher (passing) RPM's. I was hoping for a little improvement here (like in my 2007) but I'll be the first to say the engine has always been very smooth.

You may be fine in using 0w-30 in your Explorer, and you can't go wrong with Mobil 1. However what you used in your old 4-litre V6 has nothing to do with this new 3.5. The 3.5 engine was designed around this viscosity and I wouldn't presume to know more than the engine designers. But that's just me.

5 oil changes in 28K miles is a bit much. At least with Mobil1 synthetic you can go to 10K mile intervals, that's what I'm doing in my Lexus, no problems.

You may be fine in using 0w-30 in your Explorer, and you can't go wrong with Mobil 1. However what you used in your old 4-litre V6 has nothing to do with this new 3.5. The 3.5 engine was designed around this viscosity and I wouldn't presume to know more than the engine designers. But that's just me.

My 2007 Eddie Bauer was the V8 and the spec'd oil was also 5W20. I'll be just fine with the 0W30 now.

5 oil changes in 28K miles is a bit much. At least with Mobil1 synthetic you can go to 10K mile intervals, that's what I'm doing in my Lexus, no problems.

Not really. The first one was done at the 1,000 miles. I alway do this with my new cars/trucks. So, 4 oil changes in about 27,000 miles is every 7,000 miles. My oil life indicator show about 75-80% expired. I'm not looking to eek out the last 20%.

10,000 miles on an oil change is just crazy, IMHO. Have you ever done a Used Oil Analysis on your oil? That's the only way to know (with multiple UOA's) if your Lexus is having "no problems" with regard to your oil selection and change interval.

I run Mobil 1 in both my Porsches. 5W50 in the 987S and 20W50 in the 993TT. The UOA's show the oil is pretty much used up at the 7,500 and 5,000 miles marks respectively.

I am NOT looking to get the most miles out of my oil change intervals, and I am NOT looking to skimp on the actual cost. I am only concerned about using a high quality oil and giving my engines the best opportunity for long term success. Oil's cheap. Motor$ are e$pen$ive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really. The first one was done at the 1,000 miles. I alway do this with my new cars/trucks. So, 4 oil changes in about 27,000 miles is every 7,000 miles. My oil life indicator show about 75-80% expired. I'm not looking to eek out the last 20%.

10,000 miles on an oil change is just crazy, IMHO. Have you ever done a Used Oil Analysis on your oil? That's the only way to know (with multiple UOA's) if your Lexus is having "no problems" with regard to your oil selection and change interval.

I run Mobil 1 in both my Porsches. 5W50 in the 987S and 20W50 in the 993TT. The UOA's show the oil is pretty much used up at the 7,500 and 5,000 miles marks respectively.

I am NOT looking to get the most miles out of my oil change intervals, and I am NOT looking to skimp on the actual cost. I am only concerned about using a high quality oil and giving my engines the best opportunity for long term success. Oil's cheap. Motor$ are e$pen$ive.

Good info. I was incorrectly assuming/calculating that oil changes were done at 5600 miles average.

I do understand the concerns with 987's, I've owned a Boxster and Boxster S. I changed oil once a year because I wasn't hitting high mileage. I also understand how IMS failures and other serious problems have led to catastrophic engine failures with 986/987/996/997's, certainly a fair number of concerned Porsche owners out there. Not really surprised by UOA on Porsche engines indicating possible problems.

Not worried about Lexus, plenty of well qualified owners reporting at CL have done multiple oil analysis to justify 10K intervals w/Mobil1. Mercedes and Lexus have far greater resources for analysis than any of us and have proven 10K intervals are prudent with best synthetics specified.

Back