Switching to Synthetic Motor Oil | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switching to Synthetic Motor Oil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but depending on mileage, I change the filter, once midway between oil changes.....best regards Plum

Smart move. This is recommended by some very smart guys that I know.

Any engine builder will tell you your first oil change should be a hell of a lot sooner than Ford tells you.
But its your money that bought the vehicle (Unless its just a lease) so do whatever makes you feel good. But 7500 for the first oil change? After the motor is broken in, I will go by Fords recommendation.

Motorcraft semi-syn is found at most auto supply stores and priced fairly

@Tucker_BMD

Sorry for cracking on you on your initial post. Didnt mean to sound high and mighty. Thanks for helping me out.

R.

I had a Mazda 626 with 197k miles on it when I traded it. Motor still ran great. Used whatever the cheapest oil was the day I bought it. Changed it regularly (3-5,000 miles). Drove it up mountain passes in CO to go skiing, it lived in Phoenix for 2 years (3 summers), it lived in Green Bay for 2 years (2 winters), it was driven plenty of short trips while in college and long interstate trips afterwards.

Use the recommended oil. Change it as needed. Use a decent to good filter.

Too late to change to full synthetic?

For up to 20,000 miles now on my XLT, I've only gotten the regular stuff because of my maintenance plan. However, I plan on getting fully synthetic motor oil but I heard rumors that if you do it too late, it's going to be bad for the engine. Is that true?

If I were to get synthetic, what brand?

On my other SUV I changed to syn at 40k miles and haven't seen any issues and it still runs like a beast.

It's never too late and it doesn't matter if it mixes with dino.

Synth is usually thinner and with a fair bit of detergent, if you have a sludgy old engine with suspect seals and gaskets you might have a bit of a problem.

I heard rumors that if you do it too late

Old wives tale. Make the switch.

Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synth. Readily available at WalMart, often on-sale.

I started using synthetic at 160k. I think only crude oil was used to that point.

And never do an oil change with a wet head. You'll catch a cold.:)

Although I don't currently use synthetic oil, if you believe the latest round of TV commercials, Castrol is being touted as outperforming Mobil 1. When looking at this subject on the Internet most articles seem to say that Amsoil is the best that you can get.
I used Mobil 1 about 30 years ago in my '81 Datsun 510 wagon when I was working shift for 6 years. I found it made a big difference in cold weather starting. Retired the Datsun 10 years later and haven't used synthetic since.

http://www.syntheticoilreviews.com/

Peter

If you've eaten a LARGE meal, wait at least an hour before changing your oil.:)

Although I don't currently use synthetic oil, if you believe the latest round of TV commercials, Castrol is being touted as outperforming Mobil 1. When looking at this subject on the Internet most articles seem to say that Amsoil is the best that you can get.
I used Mobil 1 about 30 years ago in my '81 Datsun 510 wagon when I was working shift for 6 years. I found it made a big difference in cold weather starting. Retired the Datsun 10 years later and haven't used synthetic since.

http://www.syntheticoilreviews.com/

Peter

Amsoil is $10.50/qt in the US. I used Mobil1 5w30 in my 2006 Pathfinder from the first oil change. I traded it in for my EX with 182K miles on the odometer, and never had an issue. That was with oil changes every 7500 miles. Not a leaky seal on the engine when I traded it in. My opinion is that Castrol synthetic, Mobil1, or valvoline synthetic is more a matter of choice and brand loyalty instead of one being a vastly superior product. If you are changing your oil at the recommended intervals, you are likely not going to ever push the boundaries of the oil's viscosity breaking down.

Before preforming a full synthetic oil change, do not crack your knuckles.

Oil 5-20 or ??

I am now driving across state FL for my job it's a 240 mi round trip and ready for another oil change
Can I go up to a 5 -30 oil instead of the 5 -20 oil with out issue. I know with variable valve timing not shure how a heavier oil would act. Just looking for a little more protection on hot days at 80 mph drives
Making drive 1 or 2 times a week

iPad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heavier is not better. Thinner oils dissipate heat better.

Back