• Register Today It's free!

Tailights, orange indicators

Count

Reaction score
City, State
Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi guys.

I've imported a 2002 Explorer 2 door to europe, and the authorities are bugging me about my red indicatorlights at the rear.
Was the 2dr ever available with orange tail light indicators? If not, any suggestions how I could solve this and keep my Explorer road legal?

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Try the UK Explorer Owners Sub Forum. Click here to go there now.

I have heard talk of the tail light dilemma over there. They might be able to help you get it sorted.

Good luck and happy Exploring! :biggthump

Thanks for the reply! Have posted there now. :)

Cheers

You're welcome. Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Those are not what he has. He has a 3rd Gen so the tail lights will be the same as ours. Here's what mine look like. These are crappy cell phone pics, but you get the idea:

IMAG0023Custom.jpg

IMAG0026Custom.jpg

IMAG0027Custom.jpg

IMAG0028Custom.jpg

IMAG0029Custom.jpg

No, it's a 2-door sport. He has these:

2002-ford-explorer%20sport-rearside_fuftexs023.jpg

I stand corrected. I overlooked the 2 Door Sport in the first post. Sorry about that.

Yep, unfortunately Taylor is correct..

I've got some replies on the UK subforum, and apparently amber indicators aren't available.. Seems like I need to dust off the engineeringskills and modify the original ones..

@count,

there were ‚Export‘ tail lights made (Australia/Pacific/Japan) for the ‘02 to ’05 that fit the ’05 to ’10, too. But unfortunately for you they do only fit 4-door units, no Sport, nor Sport Trac.

I had modified some tail lights in the past. Always added an amber bulb with socket to the back-up-light chamber. This gives a clean unmodified look. I do not know whether this modification is MOT conform or not, so you talk to a MOT agency in your neighbourhood first.

Let me know if you need further help.

Don't forget that your taillights use the 4 wire design, so to go to an additional for the amber, you will need a wiring splitter to go to 5 wires (amber t/s). These are readily available from any parts store in the trailer hitch section. (They are 4 wire on one side of the box and 5 on the other side) If you don't use it, you won't be able to have the signals blink separate from the reds, since these use the reds only.

It's too bad there isn't any wrecked Mazda Tributes or you could take their harness, rear gate and both lights and make the system work. You could order a tail harness for the 2 dr tribute (wrecked of course), they use the red/yellow combo light that would eliminate your wiring needs. (Just a thought).

@count,

there were ‚Export‘ tail lights made (Australia/Pacific/Japan) for the ‘02 to ’05 that fit the ’05 to ’10, too. But unfortunately for you they do only fit 4-door units, no Sport, nor Sport Trac.

I had modified some tail lights in the past. Always added an amber bulb with socket to the back-up-light chamber. This gives a clean unmodified look. I do not know whether this modification is MOT conform or not, so you talk to a MOT agency in your neighbourhood first.

Let me know if you need further help.

Yeah.. That's my big dilemma, there weren't that many 2-doors made.. Not to mention exported overseas.. I've found these on ebay though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherman-584...ts=Model:Explorer&hash=item564d65e5c2&vxp=mtr

They look like they have amber indicators, and I asked the seller if they really were amber. Got confirmation of this, but on arrival they proved to be normal standard original tail lights. Haven't hooked them up yet though..

by the back-up light you mean reversing light right? That's also crossed my mind. I would like to keep it looking as unmodified as possible. I know this is a common mod for getting the front parking lights (you guys have amber ones) compliant. Would definitely be the most feasible option.

Regarding the wiring:
I would need to investigate more into how your funny lights (no offence.. ;)) work, but my plan was to tap into the harness for the trailer connection.
You mean there are conversion kits already available? I've never heard of this before, maybe you could help me out with a link..?

Cheers!

BTW, you guys know if there are any wiring diagrams for the explorer readily available online..?

Back