Taxxman's SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Taxxman's SAS

Well since everyone and their brother is starting an SAS thread I thought I would start one for mine.

According to the Fed Ex tracking number the Scout steering box is sitting at my house waiting for me to get home tonight. My 44 is sitting at a shipping dock waiting for me to drag the trailer over there tomorrow to pic it up. I'll get some pics tomorrow or Wednesday.

I am putting a Dana 44 from a 76 bronco under the front of my truck. It will be coil sprung and steered by a scout steering box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't wait for pics....How much was the axle? $$$

cool!! pics!!!

Wow, everyone has a project going! By the time i get mine back everyone else will be done! haha. Good luck Dave, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by JoshC
By the time i get mine back everyone else will be done! haha.
Happy trails!!

Not Everyone :(

i prolly won't have started yet :eek:

I probably won't start with the truck till March. Got my scout box last night. Looks pretty good. Getting the axle today, I'll try to get some pics of it. I plan over the month of Feb to finish my drywall and paint in the garage so I can put stuff away, while I start cleaning up the axle and replaing u-joints and such, then come March let the fun begin!

I picked that heavy **** up today and dropped it at my house. Undeneath all the rust she is beautifull....

axle1.jpg

axle2.jpg

axle3.jpg

axle4.jpg

Radius Arms
radius.jpg

Scout Steering Box
steering_box.jpg

are you going to use the stock radius arms?

If so what is the max lift you can do with the stockers.

Also if you dont mind me asking where did you get the axle and how much was it?

posted on pirate in the wanted section. paid $250 only has 50K miles on it, has been sitting since the mid eighties but appears to be in good shape.

I am using the stock arms and have no idea what I will end up with lift wise.

SAS PROJECT!?! I think the superlift kit was a POS!! ;)J/K
Good look with this one!

By the way... are those warn manual hubs?!

no but they will be. One side is missing a hub so I am going to go ahead and replace both with warns

if i get a d30 out of a 97+ wrangler wouldi be able to keep abs?

You ABS lines will not hook up with the wrangler setup, nothing you can really do about it.

Happy trails!!

taxman, were the dics put on later, i thought that the dics didnt come out till 78? also where is the best place to get one. I called jeff's and Tom's bronco graveyards and they want 750+

The discs where on in 76. First year I believe. I posted on pirate, you might try that or ebay. Just the housing is $400 from bronco graveyard.

I got lucky. You might check local bone yards too. Or look for a full size one and have it cut down.

I tried earlier too it must be down.

Best place for diffs is a u-pull wrecking yard, my local one has 2 waggys sitting there right now with complete diffs under them and they are $150cdn each :eek:
Taxxman, good luck on the swap:D

is that bar comming from the axle the stock trac bar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes. He forgot to ship the steering pieces, but no big deal I think I will be better off fabbing my own anyways. But that trac bar is a beast so it should hold, but I will probably have to build a new one of those too to prevent bump steer.

Back