The 5.0 Mod list! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 5.0 Mod list!

I just think that would make it easier on everyone and bust down alot of repeat threads. I'll try to update this list regularly i just need help i need you to tell me what you got and where you got it. Any help would be great!

For Links i use summit racing cause they are ussaly Cheapest and its a easy site to use. if you can get it off ebay or somewhere cheaper or from a great vendor that'll give you discounts (wink wink james) go for it
This is in NO special order just a helping hand to geting your fix for speed

And by all means if there is a product like headers or a intake or other rockers or anything that you like better then the one i posted tell me about it and i'll add it and if you're a vendor and you want a link to what you got tell me

#1 Headers:
Torque monster headers
FMS headers (not half as good but alot cheaper)
JBA Headers contact http://www.hensonperformance.com/ via phone: (205) 531-0598 or e-mail: hensonperformance@bham.rr.com

#2 Cold Air Intake:
AirMax cold air intake
Mac cold air Intake
contact hensonperformance.com/ via phone: (205) 531-0598 or e-mail: hensonperformance@bham.rr.com
Or Making your own is always an option, you'll probaily need to do this if you go forced induction (see below)

#3 Roller Rockers: 1.7 or 1.6
Roller Rockers

#4 Plug Wires and Spark Plus:
These are the meat and potatos of your engine with out a good set of both you're wasting your time!
Wires: Taylor 8.2
Plugs: I suggest a good set of projected tip OEM style plus theres so many brands to choose from and so many styles and everyone will just argue about them for days so do some research and make your own oppion onplugs I do not suggest bosch platnium 4s for these trucks

#5 Transmission Shift kits and controlers:
for the AODE 4R70W Shift kits
hensonperformance.com electronic controlers

#6 4406w Swap this is a parts find kinda thing (see write up section below) This is a great mod! It has been described as "it feels like i just put a supercharger on it"

#7 1" intake spacer (also sold on ebay) 1" intake spacer

#8 Computer Tunes and Tuners:
SCT x-cal tuner, also theres the eleminator switch chips that hold single or up to 5 programs. and always the sct xcal1.
These programmers:
www.hensonperformance.com or try to get a nice used one on ebay
to buy the custom tunes:
from www.hensonperformance.com
Talk to jah81592 (the guy that runs the site) he can hook you up
BamaChips custom tunes (via explorer express) BamaChips custom tunes

#9 Camshafts:
FMS Camshafts
Any hydraulic roller cam that will work in a 5.0 V8 Mustang will work in the Explorers... However, the Explorer will be more finicky with the cam specs due to it being a much heavier vehicle and needing more torque off the line.
I actualy prefer crane cams their customer service is awsome i've delt with them with custom grinds and they do a great job

#10 Stroker Kit:Stroker Kit turning your 302 into a 347 displacing more volume always helps make plenty more power
if interested i'd check out for more info on some of the other things that go along with thisBalancers and such for stroker and talk to jtsmith about any other possible problems

#11 Removing your rear cats:
its an easy way to upgrade the flow of your exhaust . I did this with a chain pipe cutter and two 14" sections (i think i cut it down a bit) of 2.25 pipe and a pipe expander and some clamps till i got it welded. You still have 2 other cats they can be replaced with high flow units.

#12 Exhaust system upgrades:
A nice cat back system is the easy way to go, but custom always adds style and you get exactly what you want.
personaly i got custom check out some ideas here:Exhaust thread
but theres always cat backs such as:
Gibson- Gibson cat back
Mac performance - Mac catback

#13 Intake Manifolds: Any intake manifold that will work on a 5.0 Mustang will work with a 5.0 Explorer too. Keep in mind that port matching between the lower intake manifold and the intake ports of your heads may need to occur. This is typical in more than a few other examples of swapping intake manifolds. The elbow will have to be 45 instead of 90 degrees. a new intake tube needed
the egr tube hookup is different, and since you need a mustang throttle body-hooking up the throttle cable is a bit of a challenge. You'll have to fab a throttle cable bracket--you'll find a lot of stuff going on in that area, ac lines-egr-blower housing-also-the 94-95 mustang throttle body you need, requires re wiring of the tps sensor (the plug is different) The vaccum lines will be custom-you'll need to figure out the routing. Allso the coolant crossover tubes at rear of intake manifold need fabbed. this is ussal for putting a mustang intake on the explorer 5.0 it sounds like alot but can be way worth it.
to name a few
Professional products Typhoon intake:Typhoon Intake
edelbrock: Edelbrock intake
BBK: BBK intake

#14 Larger reprogramed MAFs:
More air = more power, just don't forget your fuel system and understand you'll need to upgrade other things to take full advantage of having one of these babys
hensonperformance.com
explorerexpress.com

#15 70mm Throttle Body Write up on how it goes This one isent for beginners it takes a little fab work.
Check below for help with the wiring that comes along with this

~Forced Induction~

- Supercharging: Supercharging obviously theres a few choices here , FMS Centrifugal kit, Powerdyne, and one from explorer express
But i think theres few turn key kits but heres a couple links
Powerdyne- Powerdyne
Ford Racing- FMS super charger
Explorer express- Explorer express supercharger

- Turbos: With some basic pipe fabrication skills as well as basic wiring skills a custom rear mounted STS universal turbo system will be a great mod for these Explorers.
Rocket 5957 is a good person to contact if interested in this. He is a STS (Squires Turbo Systems) dealer
Here is a good example of a custom rear mounted turbo on a 5.0 explorerJustin's turbocharged 5.0

Write ups:
#1 V8boatbuilder this link is for Torque monster headers, the shift kit and the 4406 swap
#2 Another TMHs install By MountaineerGreen
#3 Making a coil pack braket after installing a spacer By JTsmith
#4 TPS Swap (needed for the 70mm throttle body swap) By RubySlow

Thanks to JTsmith and rocket for alot of info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your quotes of the Kenne Bell 1.7, 2.1, 2.6 and Whipple 2300 AX kits are adaptable to the 4.6 V8 Explorers but not so much to the 5.0 V8 Explorers. Anything can be made to work, but those are nowhere near what would be considered a "mod" for the Explorer as they require allot of very custom fabrication (manufacture of entire lower blower manifold) to work. Thse closest fits for the 5.0 V8 Explorers would be the Kenne Bell 1.5liter and 2.2 liter kits offered for the 86-95 Mustang 5.0's. Also Allen never offered the Eaton M90 for the 5.0 Explorers. They offer an Eaton for the 4.6's. Explorer Express offered the Eaton supercharger kits for the 5.0 Explorers.

Also, there are Mannnnnny more camshafts available for the Explorers then just the Ford "letter" cams. Any hydraulic roller cam that will work in a 5.0 V8 Mustang will work in the Explorers... However, the Explorer will be more finicky with the cam specs due to it being a much heavier vehicle and needing more torque off the line.

Any heads that are available for the 5.0 Mustang's are also able to fit the 5.0 Explorers too. One thing worth mentioning is that if you do swap to a different heads like a TFTW aluminum head then there is a high likelihood that you will have to modify your header flanges if you plan to use TM headers.

Any intake manifold that will work on a 5.0 Mustang will work with a 5.0 Explorer too. Keep in mind that port matching between the lower intake manifold and the intake ports of your heads may need to occur. This is typical in more than a few other examples of swapping intake manifolds.

Any 302, 306, 331, or 347 engine made for a Mustang will drop into the 5.0 Explorers also.

Any Universal fuel injected nitrous oxide kit will work with these Explorers. My reccomendation is stick with a wetkit because it will tax your stocker fuel system less than a dry system will.

Any Walbro return fuel pump can be made to work with the 5.0 V8 Explorers. However, I reccomend the Walbro GSS342 for a more drop-in application and a GSS340 for higher hp application due to its much larger fuel pickup.

Also, with some basic pipe fabrication skills as well as basic wiring skills a custom rear mounted STS universal turbo system will be a great mod for these Explorers. I would likely be the best point of contact on that as I am an STS (Squires Turbo Systems) dealer.

I want to add that if someone buys any high port heads, there is a chance the TM headers wont fit at all. I have a set of Yates heads sitting in storage that I would love to put on my truck, but the raised exhaust ports would put the passengers side header into the AC. Also, getting heads with large intake runners will make your Explorer lose all of its low end torque. With heads, bigger isnt always better. Those 205cc runners make look sweet on paper, but you wont be able to take advantage of them unless you have a serious shortblock that wants to make peak power at 7000rpm.

And as for intake manifolds, Explorers already have probably the best 302 manifold made for an engine that doesnt rev past 5500rpm. There have beem numerous comparison tests between all of the aftermarket intakes vs. the GT40 style(port matched), and none of them make more power below 5500rpm than the stocker. So if you are keeping stock RPM range, going with an aftermarket intake can very likely make you lose torque without giving you any extra horsepower. But if you are planning on revving to 6500, then by all means, get an aftermarket manifold.

I not only carry SCT custom tuning (ExCal2) but also here is a list of components I also carry:
1)SCT-all products
2)C&L maf meters
3)MAC performance-cold air intakes,exhaust and etc.
4)ASP-underdrive pulleys (sorry none for the 5.0L Ex)
5)Powertrain Control Solutions- trans controllers
6)Innovate- widebands,monitoring products
7)JBA-headers
8)SLP-

I want to add that if someone buys any high port heads, there is a chance the TM headers wont fit at all. I have a set of Yates heads sitting in storage that I would love to put on my truck, but the raised exhaust ports would put the passengers side header into the AC. Also, getting heads with large intake runners will make your Explorer lose all of its low end torque. With heads, bigger isnt always better. Those 205cc runners make look sweet on paper, but you wont be able to take advantage of them unless you have a serious shortblock that wants to make peak power at 7000rpm.

And as for intake manifolds, Explorers already have probably the best 302 manifold made for an engine that doesnt rev past 5500rpm. There have beem numerous comparison tests between all of the aftermarket intakes vs. the GT40 style(port matched), and none of them make more power below 5500rpm than the stocker. So if you are keeping stock RPM range, going with an aftermarket intake can very likely make you lose torque without giving you any extra horsepower. But if you are planning on revving to 6500, then by all means, get an aftermarket manifold.

And in a forced induction application is where an aftermarket intake manifold will come into its own.

Back