The All New Goodyear MT/R is here | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The All New Goodyear MT/R is here

...Has anybody seen these yet...Here's a pic of the new tread design...
no-subject.jpg

...I went to Goodyear's site and could find nothing on them...:(...The only thing I could find, was from "Peterson's 4wheel & Offroad Magazine's" website...
http://blogs.4wheeloffroad.com/6457894/editorials/goodyears-new-mt-r/index.html

..."Some things are better left alone."

..."But Goodyear's new MTR is completely redesigned, with much more aggressive tread pattern, and bulletproof Kevlar sidewalls.
We tested the tires in Johnson Valley last Friday and have to say the new mud-terrain tire is a definite step above the old design.

You can read all about in the upcoming issue of the galaxies greatest off-road magazine, Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any idea when the next gen ATs comin out? And if this is a stupid question, or asked many times already, please forgive my ignorance, Im new to the 4Wheelin world :D

Wrangler recently came out with the Wrangler Silent Armor AT tires I believe this past year. I think thats what your asking.

Tbars, I agree it looks like the sidewall lugs are only there for looks rather than protecting the sidewall and giving a larger footprint. I would question the ability of these compared to the old Wrangler M/Ts. To me is looks like they took a Wrangler M/T and cross bred it with a Goodyear Fortuna LT.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

...Goodyear just released another new tire with this MT/R, the Dura Trac....It looks like a BFG A/T competitor..I forgot to mention I got a brochure on those too but again, they didn't say much...:(

...The write up:
"GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC"
"The Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac is a hard-working light-truck tire that is intended for use on pickups used in both work and recreational activities, and it features Goodyear's proprietary TractiveGroove Technology"
nat020209WranglerDuraTrac.jpg

...The old MT/R...

"MILITARY MTR"

Goodyear's Military Edition of the popular Wrangler MT/R is approved for use on all HMMWVs (Humvees). It is commonly used on the "High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicles" in personnel and light cargo transport in combat zones.
nat_1024military_mtr_tire.jpg

...More info I found on the new MT/R...

..."GOODYEAR WRANGLER MT/R WITH KEVLAR"

"The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tire has Kevlar-reinforced sidewalls that help increase sidewall puncture resistance by 35 percent, compared to its predecessor, and its wraparound tread offers enhanced traction in deep mud, sand and rocks."
nat020209WranglerMTR1Wet223.jpg

How did it affect the price of the old A/Ts?

wargear: the old A/T's running same price, it's just a new model to their lineup

Tbars, that picture shows that even the sidewall lugs are directional. This means you go forward only lol.

....I would really like to see a Goodyear store by me get a 35" in for display purposes....I would like to get a side by side of it next to my tires....

...The use in rock, sand, and mud looks like it is compromised now..:scratch:..It does look like it's more for a mall crawler and that new section in the tread is, as mentioned before by Goodyear, for better highway handling...

...I wish they would have just named it something else...:rolleyes:

daggum it :D

Very interesting Tbars4...

But, I just saw this today and me likey... The BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM2

0801dp_03_z+tire_test+bfgoodrich_mud_terrain_km2.jpg

tirerack.com has it for $186 in this size 35X12.5R15

DB1 runs 37 inchers of those KM2s and they've performed very well.

i hate directional :mad:
x2 and I don't like the tread pattern on the new MT/Rs at all.

If I were to buy a "mud" tire that was going on a daily driver duty rig, they would be the KM2s after Dave's review of them.

Where is Daves review at ? I searched and could not find

I bought Kelly 31x10.50 MTR's Best tires that have ever been under my truck. Handle great in snow and go thru mud like i was on pavement.

Dave's KM2 reviews are evenly distributed amongst the Return From T-haven threads ;)

main.php

That sux :) I thought it would be in the Product Review section... Ur gonna have to thank the Mod above - Thanks IZ :)

...I believe they are keeping the old style...And this new style, is just like what everyone else is doing...Marketing to the guys with the lifted trucks that never see dirt...:rolleyes:

Where is Daves review at ? I searched and could not find

Sorry, he didn't have a written review. He told me in person how much he likes them even driving on the highway at 75mph.

...I believe they are keeping the old style...And this new style, is just like what everyone else is doing...Marketing to the guys with the lifted trucks that never see dirt...:rolleyes:
Well that is over half the population in CA. :)

Good to hear about the increased sidewall strength.

I've ran several on and offroad miles on the old MTR from when they first came out.

My reaction to them on a 4 door explorer was
1) they squated too much when aired down
2) I had two blow out at freeway speeds (my fault, I was underinflated)
3) I had one get a chunk out of the sidewall
4) I had one crack a sidewall

Now mind you this is with 10 tires, I bought 4 new when they first came out and since then have purchased 6 well worn tires on Craigslist.

Now if you do look at most desert racing tires (BFG projects) I don't think the tread looks all that agressive and guys are cutting those for steers and rears (direction fronts) that was my first reaction of the new MTR.

I will try the KM2 for my next new purchase and the superduty has a set of Toyo MTs to mount in the trailer as soon as the Kuhmo MTs finally bite the dust.

Back