The Black Hole | Page 161 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil changed with 5 quarts.

Oil levels checked before the first 500 mile trip. Was to the fill line on the dipstick.

Two 500 mile trips within a couple months, 2 quarts low.

Another oil change has been done since. No trips made since. Oil level is currently full since last trip, last fall.

Safe to say it only uses or leaks when used.

Good idea on the stereo wiring, but after looking, I did use an aftermarket harness for the new head unit. Lol

The dash light wire is not being used on the hu tho. Need to figure which wire that is.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

dude if you are not using the stock stereo wires those are perfect!
Batt power, switched power and ground all avail and on fused circuits........

dipstick tube, rear main seal, oil pressure switch, valve covers, sometimes the oil filter mount are all known leakers on a 5.0 that SITS, got hot or had poor oil changes

The rear main seal is almost always a minor leak, usually very slow and bothersome. My last two 98's had leaks at the oil pressure sensor, the front seal, and a little at the front edge of the oil pan under the filter. One I replaced the oil filter adapter o-rings, that was about 1/3 of the leaking, and I attempted to install the oil cooler type(forget that, the WP has to come off). With some time I got both down to basically no dripping on the driveway, but they still need oil every week or two(600+ miles a week). No additives have really helped, and I tried many of them.

I used the factory stereo wiring to power a few accessories. It had the dash light and power key on wires conveniently located and fused. I ran a separate always on power wire for the stereo.

@CDW6212R the water pump has to come off to switch from the 96-97 oil cooler from the 98-01 style with no cooler??
Should not have to mess with water pump the oil cooler bolts to engine and uses the lower radiator hose. You can swap them around without removing the WP.....it is tight in there but it can be done.

@CDW6212R the water pump has to come off to switch from the 96-97 oil cooler from the 98-01 style with no cooler??
Should not have to mess with water pump the oil cooler bolts to engine and uses the lower radiator hose. You can swap them around without removing the WP.....it is tight in there but it can be done.

I tried to do it for at least an hour, and could not get the short radiator hose on. I was also trying to install the oil cooler with the hose attached. Neither way would work for me. The cooler is hell to install alone, with everything else in place(rack and sway bar etc.) That takes doing it with a couple three fingers of one hand and the bolt in the other(one or two fingers). The space at the cooler is too tight for me and my hands.

The gap between the WP and cooler is 2" or less for the short hose to get forced in there. I was trying to use a used hose, an old low mileage take off part. So it wasn't stiff like new, but I couldn't force it in there.

If something else is removed from the space around the cooler, than it's possible. But not with almost everything there which is so lose to the cooler mounting bolt. The frame is there of course, so no matter what it's tough to get the bolt in there.

On that 98 truck I knew I would be R&Ring the WP anyway, so I backed off and put the old adapter back in. It was a year later that it lost 3rd and 4th gear, and a noise developed at the front(I think is the WP). So there's work to do soon, I'll get the cooler on there with the WP and timing chain.

vaseline is your buddy to get that hose on!!
It is not an easy task, but it is possible! LOL I can say that often with these trucks.....the little heater bypass hose is fun to do in the truck, EGR is in the best location ever (back of the intake) rack and pinion, exhaust studs, timing cover bolts.....fun fun LOL
I WAY prefer the 98-01 style WITHOUT the cooler
I have had two ea 5.0 engines mix oil with water due to failed cooler
Less clutter without the cooler........
easy enough to add a remote filter mount and run a air/fluid oil cooler.....

@gmanpaint That cargo box is insane cool dude....... While mixing and pouring 38 bags of concrete yesterday (38 more to go today and 38 the next.......I was thinking about your cabinetry building skills and that cargo box you designed, engineered, built, veneered. your choice of accessories and tools, hardware........I mean seriously that is one awesome accomplishment!! You should be very proud and we are singing your praises!!

G's definitely the man, he can build some cool stuff.

I'm getting old and slower. You worked 38 bags of concrete, I took and gave one bag to my neighbor a little while ago.

I didn't remember it weighing 50lbs, but I did about half way there. She asked me what to do about her loose mailbox post, and I told her she could pull it up and use one bag of concrete to pour into a larger hole there. I had the extra bag from not needing it the year before, so it helped me to give it away.

the bags are 80# each, 42 bags on a pallet looks like we will use 2.5 pallets on this pour
I'm lucky I have a neighbor who is awesome and does most of the heavy lifting since I am nursing a bad back/hip/leg nerve damage thing since last winter. We are adding a 24' x 28' two story addition to my house :) We have 12 concrete piers to pour...so far 6 are done, we will be pouring the other 6 today.........put three bags in the mixer at a time, the mixer is mounted on top of a rolling cart so that we can pour directly into the tubes. Tubes stick up out of the ground about 3' (since we are in the flood plane the house is elevated on piers) I am short so I require some stairs to get the bags up that high...my neighbor Sean just lifts them up on his shoulder and pours them in.....Sean weighs 120#!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's 2/3 of his body weight I'm more like 200# and its hard for me to get the 80# up to my shoulder but I can!!
Thank you Ibuprofen, thank you. I don't take it often but I've taken some this week!

Getting old and slower is part of why, everything takes me so long to do. LOL Part is also because I am picky on certain things.

I am constantly humping roofing shingles on my shoulders up ladders, and other things for work. I feel it all over after wards. I do not walk a straight line when I get out of bed in the morning anymore. More like a zig zag, and bounce of things as I go. What was that saying? Getting old is not for the weak? lol

So today, I am hunting down the dash wires to use for the locker switches. I partially pulled out the dash stereo Bezel, and OMG... what a mess of wires back in there. Looks like a drunk spewed a spaghetti dinner. No rhyme or reason to what's what upon first glance. I think I will have to completely remove the aftermarket HU/Bezel for the search. ugh.

I have a test light, and will hunt down some key on power & dash illumination hot wires. I made a pigtail for these 2 wires, with a 2 wire plug, so that will help with the physical aspect. This will definitely test my patience working in such a small cramped area.

I did get the ARB air line sheathed in tube, and ran it to the back along the top of the frame rail. It is hooked up to the pump solenoid as well. Switches are all that's left to do, for my part. Last new part of the switch console mod is arriving today (hopefully), so it can all be installed tomorrow.

Before my dash melted I had wires running all over. Adding accessories over the years wherever I could with no real plan. When I rebuilt it, I planned it all out and have a separate wiring harness and fuse block for all accessories. The aux battery has breakers and a mega-fuse. I only have the air compressor and amp running directly off the aux battery with their own breakers. The rest is all through the separate harness.

The mess behind the bezel is all stereo wires. Those adapter harnesses come with some connectors not used, and extra wire length. Add 5 rca Jack's, 2 camera Jack's, and it's a rat's nest. Lol

The main battery is a different story. That thing is a disgrace with everything I have hooked up to it. It's a sore spot for me. I am actually thinking of letting a shop rewire all the connections to some auxiliary blocks. That's how much I dislike wiring. Also the main reason I paid big bucks for the 5.0 swap. Sucked we had to pull the dash 3 times to fix it afterwards.

I found the illumination wire. The ashtray in the 2nd gen console, has a light. Worked out perfectly.

Tried a hot key on wire to a relay in the console. That didn't work well. With the test light on the lead, the relay started buzzing, and kicked off. Removed the wire, tested the relay, and all is well.

Back to the hunt.... but has to wait. Got called into work, and have to get my butt to a job site. The nerve taking me away from this, and making get into the field.

Lol, perks of working from home is also working on my junk too. :D

Man, what a great job... To say that camping box looks awesome is an understatement - - sure it will be a success in the Rockies. Good luck with switch locations as I don't think the visor shelf would have worked with the overhead console in the BH. Agree with all the comments on wiring - - did a decent job cleaning them up in the Sport before it passed, but definitely more thorough now in planning them out in the Ranger and the new '94. Personally, I'd embrace the "suck" and do the re-wiring yourself - - unless you know a really good shop that you trust. Just too many opportunities for shortcuts and doubtful they would put in the same level of effort to achieve quality that you would.

On board with the "aging process" - - nursing a hernia repair surgery from Tuesday. . . Guess how I got the hernia - - Crunches ! ! ! Dafuq is up with that ? ? ? Working out supposed to keep you from injury, not be the cause of the injury. **** me.

Sorry to hear about the crunchident! So not right, unless you had someone sitting on you. Lol

I got the switches placed in the main console. I'm too tall for your visor mod Paul. One of the reasons the corbeaus got pulled. Bases are 2" too tall, and I hit my head on the head liner. Need to modify them, and bring them closer to the flooring.

Been trying to find a good strong accessible key on wire, for hours with no luck today. About to give up looking inside. Even tried to pull a connector out of the atm fuse panel. No love there. Frustrating that one wire is holding up this project.

In other news, I ordered a Northstar X2 marine dual purpose 65 agm today. It's a week out. It fit every criteria on my must have list. Full replacement warranty, and no pro rate crap is a bonus.

Made in the USA - Premium Dual purpose AGM @ 51 lbs - 930 CCA / 1080 marine CCA - 135 Reserve - 80% discharge & 400 cycles or 50% discharge & 800 cycles - Dual posts. Can sit for 2 full years, and maintain full charge. 80% discharge capability really shined over all the others, with a 50% rate.

I chose this over Odessy, Optima, Deka, Interstate, and a couple other AGM's. Been wanting a good battery in this thing for a long time now, and the time has finally arrived.

X2 Magm group 65.jpg

Been trying to find a good strong accessible key on wire, for hours with no luck today. About to give up looking inside. Even tried to pull a connector out if the atm fuse panel. No love there. Frustrating that one wire is holding up this project.

Hmm, I should have thought of this to suggest before;

If you have quite a few electrical changes, and/or plan to have more, it would be a great idea to add just one relay for each of those main circuit needs.

What I mean is for anything needing an ignition KEY-ON circuit power, feed all of those from just one relay.
Same for any circuit for the ACC position, use just one added relay for all of them. That way you only find and tap into one of those circuits one time, for all additions(plus it only powers a relay, so it can be a tiny wire(I've soldered tiny wires onto the side of bigger(12-14) wires(scrape a small section of insulation off)). Then just one relay is the main power for all added circuits, for each of those different categories(key on, ACC, constant power etc).

I tapped into the heated seat circuit for my 99(unused(don't use those seats now)), to feed my added circuits which are not very high current. But I used it for the radio also for example. The master circuit switch in my dash(air bag pocket), feeds a wire going to the radio power wire(with a diode in it). That way I can turn on the radio without the key, which I used to do on my route long ago. Now I don't leave the truck for long at all, so that isn't needed any longer. But I loved it when I did need it before.

To find an ACC wire/circuit, it may be easiest to go to the ignition switch and find that main wire there. It's not hard to remove a small amount of insulation from a wire there. Use the wire stripping tool that fits the wire, place it in two places, turning the tool to break he insulation. Pull the wire insulation apart at those two seams, and then carefully cut the short section off, giving you a place to solder onto.

Everything previously in the switch panel is a constant power, fused, and all on relays near the starting battery.

The single locker pump switch is the only one that needs a key on source, with a 15 amp fuse. No need for a relay, but thanks for thinking of it!

I gave up wasting my time with this hunt under the dash. Back said enough.

I went to autozone and bought an atm fuse tap. Just going to use another 15 amp keyed on circuit right at the panel.

20200723_152455.jpg

Well, as usual, even the simple fix, isn't.

This damn thing doesn't work with our old stuff. Lol

See the black between the blades? That stops it from going in our panels. Since the store only has this style for minis, instead of taking it back, I'm breaking out the dremel on it. Should be fun. Not.

20200723_154812.jpg

Edit:
Gave up on this thing, it won't work. Doesn't fit in the fuse panel the way the panel is made, and the way this thing is made. Only spots I could get it to fit, was in constant power slots. I even took the dremel to the panel just to make it fit, but once seated in a slot, the lower fuse, hits the fuse in the slot next to it. This will not work in a 2nd gen fuse panel. Myth Busted.

Just a thought, as you're probably committed now more than ever for someone else to re-wire the rig . . . consider bringing it to a shop that retro-fits vehicles for law enforcement. Realize some municipalities do their own work "in-house", but you should be able to find one that builds out patrol cars / SAR rigs / tow trucks, etc. They're usually set up with all the right gear and from my experience (shop dependent, obviously) execute marine or aviator quality wiring work. Probably a better option than the typical stoner car stereo shop efforts. . . But not cheap.

Good idea, but I am dealing with the big suck. Many more things to do before we leave on our trip.

This rig has a few big ticket items left, the trailer has some work needed, and I am helping another member work on his stuff too. Only so much time between work and life in general. We leave in less than a month.

Since I gave up on the fuse panel, I got that wire into the engine bay via a stainless cable gland, and will deal with that tomorrow. Thinking the wiper motor will work great, being it's right above where the wire exits the fire wall.

I can now put the console back together tonight. Its skeeter o'clock and I want back inside. Lol

Ok, that's a wrap for today's excitement. After a liberal dousing of bug spray, I managed to get the console harness's all hooked up, and this thing back together now. Can't believe how pathetic this was for me. It's always the simple things that give me such a hard time. Give me a hammer and a saw, a welder and a pile of metal, and I will build a bridge, no sweat. Give me a few wires, and watch me lose my patience, and sanity.

I moved the Scan gauge from the center to the top. Carefully cut out the acrylic for the rocker switch mount thing a ma bob. Left to right: Compressor on, locker engagement, blank (but wired) for a future upcoming mod, and a dual 3.0 USB charge/volt meter.

Console dark.jpg

Since I am only running a rear ARB locker, I put the compressor to the left, instead of how most do it running two lockers, with the compressor switch in the middle.

The head unit's USB cable is by the CB Mic, and has a about 1.5ft of slack.

That little project took a few days to do, and seriously kicked my butt. I dig it tho!

Back