DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Does anyone know which size the tiny bulbs for the message center are?
It is a filament bulb.
It has a removable green "condom" ( for lack of better term)

Here it is next to a 194 socket bulb from an instrument cluster.( 194 on left, Unknown on right)

001_zps944f9f5b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like the same size as what's used in the rear defogger button and for the driving lights button. T4's i believe. a good source for these bulbs is www.autoillunination.com but without the "mouse condom" the green bulbs don't look green. sometimes you can get the mouse condom off without tearing it and sometimes not.

The LED equivalent is the NEOx, I was never able to determine the OEM part number...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/221/

I wish I knew about these a couple years ago when I had a bulb go out in my steering wheel and opted to DIY make an LED replacement, though after shipping it's over $5 and I already had the LED and resistor to fix it immediately, while it was disassembled.

If the condom is stuck on you might try spraying some silicone around the base and warming it a little.

Silly bulbs.
The one on the right hand side of all the status buttons was dark. I ordered 2 led versions.
I was having a rough night so I decided a 3:00 AM drive was in order. Wouldn't you know it the bulb now works. go figure.

Silly bulbs.
The one on the right hand side of all the status buttons was dark. I ordered 2 led versions.
I was having a rough night so I decided a 3:00 AM drive was in order. Wouldn't you know it the bulb now works. go figure.

small bulbs will do this sometimes. it's because the filament is broken and will sometimes make contact. when it does the bulb will work for a while. it's kinda like a loose connection. it will go out again.

I've used the LED versions from autolumination, they work well.

You can also get incandescent versions from www.mouser.com. Here is an example (I'm not sure if its the correct size - they come in 3 basic sizes, T3, T4, and T5, with T5 being the largest):

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/JKL-Components/DNW1-DW10/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt82OzCyDsLFDKNmrc/beRLwdHYOrF%2b4CM=
I realize this is a "dead thread," but I found this link (for the 8mm version, found in the fog lamp or rear defrost switch/button): https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/560-CNW123

However I'm going to buy an incandescent from Autolumination.com: Neowedge Instrument Panel Gauge Colored Led Bulbs Lights Lamps | Autolumination

It is a filament bulb.
It has a removable green "condom II" ( for lack of better term)

Here it is next to a 194 socket bulb from an instrument cluster.( 194 on left, Unknown on right)

View attachment 296811
Its a T type bulb, off hand don't remember the the number 4 or 5.
The green "condom" will come apart. I brought new condom, they come in different colors. I purchase either from Pelham or
digKey. I believe I just get the bulb less the base. I would have too look for the information.
To remove the condom you can try, put them into warm water too soften them first.

It is a filament bulb.
It has a removable green "condom" ( for lack of better term)

View attachment 296811
I purchase the bulb from allied electronic. Look thru there catalog. Just a note, if you remove your dash cluster replace all the light bulbs even the 194s see attached pictures.

IMG_20230312_152623.jpg IMG_20230312_152435.jpg IMG_20230312_152236.jpg IMG_20230312_152014.jpg

Back