jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
So... they are worn and need to be replaced. I haven't looked at anything about regular car tires in so long that I don't know what the good stuff is. Anyone got any advice? Prefer actual first hand experience but I guess if your friend's mom's uncle's nephew's friend's friend's friend's cat's former owner has anything to say I'll listen to that also. 17" wheel. Current tires are Pirelli P6 I think it is. No complaints about them but I'm just looking for options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long have you had it and what year is the car? Do you plan on trading it any time soon?

whats her driving style?

bridegstone s03s are wicked sticky, and look cool, but they are $$$$$$$$$$

Are you looking for a "performance" street tire or just some normal street tires? BFG Radial T/A's = very very sticky tire. They were on my mom's Exped. and it handled sooooo much better after them(part was obviously from a lower profile, but the tires had a lot to do with it). It literally felt like it was glued to the road! :eek:

bmxking5 said:
Are you looking for a "performance" street tire or just some normal street tires? BFG Radial T/A's = very very sticky tire. They were on my mom's Exped. and it handled sooooo much better after them(part was obviously from a lower profile, but the tires had a lot to do with it). It literally felt like it was glued to the road! :eek:

hate to say it, but the bfgs arent that sticky at all..... and an a4 is a lot different of a vehicle than an expedition......

I realize that. But I've driven a lot of different street tires and have found these to be the best so far. I haven't tried many other "performance street tires" so maybe that's why they felt so sticky. Anyway, he asked for opinions so I gave him mine.

It's an 03 and we don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon.
As for driving style, she doesn't mind using the skinny pedal. She doesn't need some super high performance race tire, but a good performance tire that sticks well and does well in rain, is quiet, doesn't feel like a tank, and doens't wear out in 20k is about it.
Thanks for info so far, I'll check out the Bridgestones. I never really even thought of BFG for a car tire. Guess that's what hanging around off road sites does for me.

jasonb said:
It's an 03 and we don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon.
As for driving style, she doesn't mind using the skinny pedal. She doesn't need some super high performance race tire, but a good performance tire that sticks well and does well in rain, is quiet, doesn't feel like a tank, and doens't wear out in 20k is about it.
Thanks for info so far, I'll check out the Bridgestones.

ok, if you want more than 20k, skip the bridegstones, they are awesome in sticky, but they are high in wear.....

i personally never cared for the pireeli p6 tires.. however the pzero if its available in the size you need is an awesome tire.....

Hands down, Nitto or Toyo.

I say Toyo or BF Goodrich. I've had 17 and 18 inch Toyo Proxes and they lasted a while with burnouts and my driving habit. Toyos can be pricey, but well worth it when you have to buy the second set of the cheaper ones when you could still have the original set of the Toyos.

thanks for the input. I'll see what the local places carry and get some prices. Since it's AWD maybe I'll just slap some MTs on it.

the tires are 235/45/17' right??? for a all season/"wife will be driving" id recomend the goodyear RSA or dunlop sport 5000 semetrical.. both exellent in rain and ok in snow..RSA should last 40,000 and 30,000 on the dunlops with her driveing of course....if you want real tires GY F1's all the way..there kinda of an all season..well kinda.... if there is no snow

BeauJ said:
Snow, in Georgia??? Hahahahaha, don't make us laugh :p
What are you talking about!?! Don't you remember that one time? It was that one day when it was REALLY, REALLY cold out (Probably about 25* F :eek: ) and that white stuff started falling from the sky! Yep, one day every 3 years or so, that fluffy white stuff falls from the sky. :p

I've got Continental Extreme Contact All Weathers on my A4. I like them a lot. They are a 60k rated tire and handle decnt. Mine are 225x45x18.

1600audilowered-med.jpg

found it on their site.

cec_3q_uv;property=original.jpg

EDIT: I've had them for over a year (about 13,000 miles) and I drive like a race car driver in that thing and so far they seem to be wearing very well.

the ones fenderguy has are pretty decent, we sold a lot of those to high end cars (bmw/benz) audis and vdubs too.......

i personally dont liek the gy e1s, they are based on way old technology and dont have any advancement in them at all, a lot of trie advancement in compuonds and design have come about in recent years... the f1s have been relatively unchanged for a long time....

whoa- didn't realize we had so many other audi/explorer owners on here.

i just ordered enkei mm2 18s for my 1999 a6 avant with 235/40/18 kumho asx's. no pictures yet, but they'll be here tuesday or wednesday. i needed all season tires and didn't want ot waste too much money that could have gone into my explorer on more expensive ones. will let you know how i like them initially on dry pavement and later the true test will come this winter.

btw- that a4 looks great on those wheels.

im really excited to see how my audi looks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back