todays carnage picts! help!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

todays carnage picts! help!!!!!!

ok, today we went out and tore some stuff up, well we were crossing the river and thought it would be cool if i could pop my front wheels up off the ground. well i did, sorry no picts yet, but a video comming soon, here are some picts. and i broke the **** out of my left front u-joint, so from the picts can you tell what part i need to order. do i need a complete axle shaft ???? that is what im thinking. i took it out of 4-wheel drive and made it the rest of the day with only 2-wheel drive. and i will say that we had a lifted zj jeep and i was still schooling him all day with just 2 wheel drive! here are some picts for you guys, but i need help on fixing my front end. im still new on the whole solid front axle thing, so any help would be appreciated. thanks, mike

Attachments

• frontbroke.jpg
    frontbroke.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,183

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attachments

• frontbroke2.jpg
    frontbroke2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,125

Attachments

• frontbroke3.jpg
    frontbroke3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,122

Attachments

• hill1.jpg
    hill1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,125

Attachments

• water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,112

Attachments

• travis1.jpg
    travis1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,107

Attachments

• travis2.jpg
    travis2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,111

Attachments

• canal1.jpg
    canal1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,090

I looks like you tore the shaft on the end, I bet you'll need a new one.

my front tires came about 2 feet off the ground when my front drive shaft broke. will have video soon!:D

well i broke a shock mount bolt today also ! and i installed my new radio with a 250 watt lineal amp :D

Attachments

• brokeshock.jpg
    brokeshock.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,059

this is the radio, its on top, right below it is a scanner, i have the external speaker on top and the amp is off to the side right now till i can mount it in a nonconspicous place!

Attachments

• radio1.jpg
    radio1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,079

Attachments

• hill1.jpg
    hill1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,070

Yep its time for a new inner axle shaft. I don't know if you have the 297x u-joints in your d44 but if you don't you might think about upgrading at this time. If it is the stock axle out of an early bronco then you prolly have something like a 230? and that is about the same strength as the one in your old ttb set up. I would also buy a currie axle shaft or the warn axle shaft. It's gonna cost ya though :)

thanks, i was wondering what companies made stronger axle shafts. im gonna put some stronger ones in so hopefully wont happen again!:mad:

Couple of kick a$$ x's. Suck about the u joint.

Originally posted by madmike
well i broke a shock mount bolt today also ! and i installed my new radio with a 250 watt lineal amp :D

Looks like you should beef the bracket. The rear shock has a stock 250 mount which is a double shear mount, the front looks like a single cut plate. May be worth the time to add another piece of plate parrallel to the existing plate to keep the bolt from bending where it meets the plate mount , and eventually breaking. Run a bolt through both plates and you shouldnt have the problem again...

If you got the $$ get the Warn/CTM combo and forget about breakage. Or Superior's, same or better than the Warn's.

For less $$ you can get Yukon 4340's now also.

Stock Spicer is nice and cheap though. And forget about the 5-297x, Spicer upgraded to 5-760x.

Sounds like you might need a 60 someday if you like to catch air!
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update

well just got off the phone with summit and my new superior axles and u-joints with barrings and seals will be here in 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if any of you guys have to do this, this deal i got was really good compaired to mosier or warn, this is the complete kit for $230 a side from summit, and they claim to be stronger than the mosiers. i will update with picts this weekend!:D

Back