Tom's '97 XLT registry | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.
(Edit: yeah, that all turned out to not be true...... Keep reading to see what I mean)

This is my 1997 XLT. I bought it on 10/13/2010 with 117,500 miles for $2000. It has the SOHC V6, 3.55 rear end and the "Controltrac 4 wheel drive".

This is basically as it was when I brought it home:

Interior shots:pG[/IMG]
(lost photos)

Features:
side-step boards
6,000 lb receiver
Ford mudflaps (removed)
hood wind/bug deflector

This Explorer wasn't abused- just a little neglected. The interior is in good shape. The paint isn't in horrible shape- some dings and scratches here and there. All-in-all, good shape for a 13 year old vehicle.

Issues:
cracked and pitted windshield (fixed via post 61)
inoperable 3rd brake light (fixed via post 68)
inoperable fog lights (DS housing is smashed on backside and button on dash does not illuminate) (removed)
poor heater output (fixed via post 3)
coolant temp gauge not moving much (fixed via post 3)
pulsing front brakes (fixed via post 2)
slightly sagging rear end (fixed via post 7)
weak hood lift struts (fixed via post 5)
weak glass lift struts
weak tailgate lift struts
broken driver's seat recline handle (fixed via post 8)
leaking rear transfer case output seal (fixed via post 23)
worn shocks (fixed via post 7)
alignment out-of-whack (fixed via post 12)
lack of engine power (fixed via post 3)

So basically from here on out, this registry will be dedicated to how I have breathed some life back into this thing and some adventures along the way. I've already addressed some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can, but I know I've already failed on some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6/30/2013

Chinns Lake

My post up above where I went snow wheeling to the lake in December with my buddy and our dogs we were trying to get to this lake. I don't think I would have made it even if we didn't turn around. It's not hard when it's dry, but the snow would have hid some big rocks and deep ruts.

This trip was last minute- literally. Just got bored sitting around the house and decided to pack up and go.

A little bit of snow blocked the trail. I hiked out to make sure this was the trail and snapped this quick pic on the way back.
7052df0ef460934bd62174178d5df05f.jpg

Once at the lower of the 2 lakes is an old cabin:
58768a7b69784b27f2fb50c436f333ca.jpg

We found this snow bank and the kids had a blast sliding down it:
b9ab9edda0f0748880d247aa7fa1c861.jpg

The puppy even got in on the fun:
1411708adfc3b58aa69ef197937792e8.jpg

He would climb part way up on his own and slide down, so we took him all the way up.

2fb6a6a0e84eb41b73d4d8b91c57dead.jpg

c761a9f1c935d44e24050211930756f0.jpg

On the way to the upper lake is another stream crossing:
aadb182021db9611e734be0b90b04a74.jpg

This would make a great place to camp. It is so secluded:
62e3aa2ef9ef7581cab584702755f1ba.jpg

There were a bunch of Columbines (the state flower):
11ac93d37924306d5de06e3394c5339c.jpg

On our last stop to explore, the 12 week old Golden Retriever had enough and stayed in the truck:
8734bb55c89f78a440c8ffda4e66e3cd.jpg

7214344c8ff7679012f94f9fff8cff37.jpg

e7feadc0ad88b75e7f47cc5bd762f278.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

nice! i camped up there a few summers ago, it's pretty up there. however, it was not secluded at all at the end of summer, there was some crazies up there shooting guns and playing techno music until 4 am... that snow bank you had to go through is probably keeping them all at bay for now!

Ah yes. Retards. I had forgotten that those people exist and like to go to the mountains. I've gone camping and had the "pleasure" of being in their company a couple different times. Having a pistol on my hip helps, but it shouldn't have to be that way.

Ah yes. Retards. I had forgotten that those people exist and like to go to the mountains. I've gone camping and had the "pleasure" of being in their company a couple different times. Having a pistol on my hip helps, but it shouldn't have to be that way.

Hate that. Last time we found a secluded spot to camp, a group of dirtbike/four-wheeler teens showed up at a campsite less than 40 feet from ours at 2:00am. Needless to say, they were ridiculously inconsiderate and my dog didn't take too kindly to their intrusive presence.

Can't wait to meet your new pooch, Tom! Gonna grow from cute pup to gorgeous dog.

the top of Geneva creek has been on My mind since my last trip.. Might get there this weekend if I get bored.. Interested if we go?

Those are some unbelievably beautiful pics!!!!

I really just enjoyed the last hour and a half it took to go through the awesome transformation you did to your X! Love knowing that you're showing your kids all the wonderful things there are to see and taking them out and about quite often! I can't wait to see where y'all go next and what else you're going to add to your truck. My mind is in a spin with all the wonderful things I can do to mine now. lol Thank you for sharing!!!

Tom what an amazing registry. Maybe my favorite thread here so far. I actually read every page (not just looking at pix) and I'm amazed at what you have done to the X.

Thanks for sharing your 4 wheeling experience and the fun times you've gotten to share with your family.

Nice work.

I spot 2 diff covers. SAS? Or beefy cover for the IFS?

I'm pretty much over the IFS. While I've never had any problems, I've sorta felt like I've tip-toed through some stuff and just been lucky overall. If I'm building more of an expedition style rig, I want reliability.

Stang5lgt doing it for you?

Bravo, if you need some help I would love to gain some experiance for my future.

Back