toyota pickup question

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
ok, my buddy has a 94 toyota pickup, and it died on him driving down the road a few nights ago. it has a 22R (4 banger), and it is a five speed, with no power steering (literally no mechanism). now, after sitting for a few days, it will run, but as soon as you hit the brakes, it will stall. Then, the truck will fire up, but immediately die. Im thinking some sort of horrible vaccum leak, or vaccum problem, but i have no idea where to start. Anny suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can remove the vacuum line that goes to the power brake and plug it, see if it still stalls when you push on the brake.

did that, still stalled.

It's over my head. Good luck to you!

hahaha. thanks for trying man!

if it was an automatic I would say to check out the torque converter lock up but that rules that out being a 5 speed. on automatics the torque converter clutch can stall an engine if the converter trys to lock up at to low a speed like coming to a stop. Thats if the converter is messing up anyways. Sorry im not much more help.

Mike

Sounds like the old F100 p/u I had stalls at idle and when you step on the brakes. If it has power brakes my guess would be the brake booster behind the master cylinder is bad. If you step on the brake pedal and hear a woosh like sound the booster is leaking and lossing your vaccum which will cause the engine to stall.

If it's not a vacuum leak, check up under the dash to see if the brake mechanisim is hitting any wiring and either causing a short or an open circuit.

Back