Trans Fluid Flush/Exchange - anyone done it this way? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans Fluid Flush/Exchange - anyone done it this way?

Longs

Reaction score
City, State
Cranberry Township, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
I'm thinking about doing the flush, and was wondering if anyone has used the method below. Will the transmission siphon new fluid in as decribed by "Greg J" on the maintenance tips page?

This is Greg J's Description:
My method does not require "pinch-clamps", calibrated bottles, or putting the oil in a quart at a time. There is also very little mess. In fact, I stole the idea from looking at the T-Tech machine at Jiffy-Lube.

So, here is what I do. I attach tranmission hoses to BOTH the "from transmission" and "to transmission" connections at the auxiliary cooler. I use about 10 feet each since I do this all by myself and can keep everything near the drivers door.

The difference is you use two 5-gallon buckets instead of milk bottles. In one, which is carefully cleaned and dried, I put 16 quarts of tranny fluid (Amsoil, naturally). The other is used to collect the old fluid.

Put both buckets near the driver's side door of the vehicle so you can watch them. Make sure you know which line is "in" and which is "out". If in doubt, tickle the engine with both hoses attached and the outflow line will shoot t-fluid.

Now put the "in" hose into the bucket with fresh fluid so the hose is near, but not touching, the bottom of the bucket and secure it to the handle with duct tape. Put the other hose into the empty bucket and tape it to the handle, too.

Now, start the engine. You will see the dirty fluid flowing into the empty bucket and the new fluid being sucked into the tranny. No pressure changes anywhere in the system!!! Run the engine until the new fluid just starts to pull air (about 2-2.5 minutes) and shut it down. Reattach the connections. Check the fluid level, check for leaks and you are done!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I haven't done it, but I might try it on my dad's S-10 Blazer since his tranny is needing a little help anyway. I think that it's on it's last leg, but I'm not sure unless I actually drop the pan & take a look. On the other hand, my sister's Explorer is due for a tranny flush, but mine won't need it until next spring.

That method sounds good to me.

Very nice explanation of your technique.

How do you handel the disposal of the old ATF?

Thanks.....

I need to know whether the technique works before I worry about disposing of the old ATF...

I assume you can take it to numerous auto stores or other designated locations for recycling.

I tried this first on my '97 and mine did not suck the fluid back into the transmission. All the pickup hose did was blow bubbles back into my bucket of new fluid while pooring old fluid into the empty bucket. I ended up plugging up the pickup hose and poored one quart into the transmisison at a time as a quart emptied into the bucket.

That's exactly what I was wondering - whether the transmission could/would actually suck up the new fluid as the old fluid pumped out.

Robert - thanks for the answer - has anyone else actually gotten this to work?

i don't think this will work

I just changed my trans fluid this weekend. I dropped the pan, changed the filter, then used the "add one quart thru the dipstick for every quart pumped out" method to exchange the rest.

One surprise that I got was that when I first started the engine after putting the output line (from trans) into the bucket was that fluid started coming out of both lines at the same time. Of course I was totally unprepared for this and got ATF on the floor. I had to run hoses from both lines into containers for the first two quarts. Eventually the ATF stopped flowing from the return line. I think that pressure blows the ATF from the return line until the line is clear.

It seems like the return line should suck in fluid, but that wasn't what happened.

this will not work PLEASE PLEASE do not try it, we run a T-Tech Machine at work, it runs off the pump, yes but it is one part not two, it has a cylinder that is below the new fluid the line forces the old fluid from the tranny into the machine under the cylinder forcing the new fluid into the line running to the cooler (flush the cooler too!) the pump is just that a pump it does not suck only pushes! Again PLEASE do not try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marshall is correct, DO NOT try this. :nono: What he is trying to say is the tranny only pumps fluid. There is NO vacuum in the return line. The only reason the fluid flows from the tranny to the cooler and from the cooler back is because it is forced to. Nothing "pulls" the fluid back into the tranny, it is "pushed" through the entire system.

Didn't think so

I guess that post shouldn't be on the tips page.

I disconnected the lines last night and pumped out about 2 quarts of very dark fluid. This was after I had changed the filter and about 3-1/2 quarts a week and a half ago. Nothing of note in the pan or filter, but the fluid is very nasty, almost as dark as mildly dirty engine oil.

I'm hoping to do the flush tonight, hoping it cures my problem where the trans doesn't want to upshift from first unless I let off the gas almost completely. Other than that, the trans seems to be behaving fairly normally. Maybe stuck governor or something.

I've also pumped some Trans-X through it; that stuff is like a miracle in a bottle. Hopefully I'll get lucky and not be facing a repair or rebuild, but with 115k on my trans, I might be due.

Have you considered adding an external filter?

I cannot find that method anywhere on the tips page. Where is it located?

Maybe I was inappropriately calling this the tips page...

Dead Link Removed

It's the last response at the bottom

Originally posted by offroader_69_me
this will not work PLEASE PLEASE do not try it, we run a T-Tech Machine at work, it runs off the pump, yes but it is one part not two, it has a cylinder that is below the new fluid the line forces the old fluid from the tranny into the machine under the cylinder forcing the new fluid into the line running to the cooler (flush the cooler too!) the pump is just that a pump it does not suck only pushes! Again PLEASE do not try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would it be that hard to make a HOMEMADE T-TECH machine?

I don't think so. After getting a fluid exchange last year I don't think it would be that hard to make one. I was thinking all you would need is..

1 a length of 6-8" PVC pipe
2. endcaps
3. 2 hose fittings
4. some type of piston, machined aluminum or blatter

Basically mount hose fittings at each end of the pipe. Insert piston, an put on endcaps. When you want to use it, just connect trans lines to fittings, fill with fluid and start car. Trans pump pumps fluid into PVC, pushes piston up and new fluid in. Simple.

What do ya think? Any ideas for the piston, for those who don't have access to get one machined?

There is simply no need; doing the flush could not be simpler.

Back