Transferring a 98 explorer 5.0 into a1967 F100 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transferring a 98 explorer 5.0 into a1967 F100

Thomas Bundy

Reaction score
City, State
Roopville, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1967 Ford F100
Bought a 99 explorer 5.0 and want to install it in a 67 F100. Bought the complete drive line from the shaft to the radiator. Any one ever do this? Want to make a driver, not a racer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought a 99 explorer 5.0 and want to install it in a 67 F100. Bought the complete drive line from the shaft to the radiator. Any one ever do this? Want to make a driver, not a racer.
Don't know about the mechanical compatibility portion of your retrofit. Hopefully you are aware that this is a fuel-injected, computer-controlled engine. You would need to transplant the PCM (computer), all the engine/transmission related wire harnesses, the air tube with its MAF (air flow sensor), the DPFE (EGR flow sensor), and the exhaust pipes with their oxygen sensors. You will also need to transplant the fuel tank with its high-pressure pump - or at least retrofit the pump to your existing tank. And there may be more items needed to be transplanted to make the computer happy, like a fuel vapor recovery system with its sensors and carbon canisters, catalytic converters, and probably some more. With enough time and money everything is possible, but it sure does not sound like an easy task to me...
Alternatively, I guess that since the V8 5.0 dates to the 1960's, it can be downgraded to the original carbureted version. This would require changing the intake manifold, adding a fuel pump, and a distributor/coil arrangement for ignition. It would also mean that the computer-controlled transmission from the Explorer won't work.

I want to attempt this conversion, I have the complete drivetrain and the complete wiring harness. I will go back and get the exhaust. The mechanical part I can handle. I will need some help when it comes to the wiring. Aftermarket parts are available for the 5.0 HO, but not the Explorer. I am ordering a wiring manual from Ford so this should help.

Perhaps it's something I'm too young to understand, but.... Why?

Just wanted to attempt putting the 5.0 into the, 69 for driveability

Forget about getting the explorer exhaust, it is way too restrictive. I have a 66 f100 and I've dreamed of a few motor swaps.

Never done this but anythings possible. It's a good idea! I got a few projects for my Mounty coming up. You should do it!

The Explorer's exhaust system will probably not be of any use, but you will need install O2 sensors and catalytic converters. Otherwise, 1998Exp's list is quite comprehensive. It's certainly doable, look at all the hot rods and Cobra kit cars running Ford FI 5.0L's.

Engine harness and ecu would be all you would need to install to make the engine run. Aftermarket dash gauges like Dakota digital can display obd 2 info.

Because it's cool.

I've just realized that it's the exact same concept of how I want to build an entire, modern computer inside of an old CRT monitor just for the fun of it, so I actually can relate.

I've just realized that it's the exact same concept of how I want to build an entire, modern computer inside of an old CRT monitor just for the fun of it, so I actually can relate.

Now you've lost me, but whatever floats your boat.

Now you've lost me, but whatever floats your boat.

Well, I'm an IT guy, so I've thought of swapping the parts of a modern computer (Symbolically the engine) into an older case or the skeleton of an old tube monitor (symbolically the car body), so I kind of drew a comparison there. I know it's kinda out there...

Well, I'm an IT guy, so I've thought of swapping the parts of a modern computer (Symbolically the engine) into an older case or the skeleton of an old tube monitor (symbolically the car body), so I kind of drew a comparison there. I know it's kinda out there...
Interesting analogy. Old point of sale terminals were crt with a motherboard and hard drive on the back. This engine swap would be like going from xt technology to a pentium.

Welcome Thomas, I wish you well but you chose a tough conversion. The others have mentioned the basic items related to the swap, but there are critical things which will stop it from working unless you figure them out.

Find and consult with the 2-3 threads here which are about swaps to other non Explorer vehicles. Those have lots of special details that will help you be successful, or make minor changes to get it done right.

The minor problem is the PATS issue which everyone here can tell you about. That's the easy subject. The tough one is the speed signal which the computer(PCM) requires. In 1998 the Explorer began using the rear ABS sensor from the diff, for the VSS. That's easy to understand.

Beginning in 1998, that rear ABS sensor signal goes to the ABS module, and the wild part is that the 98-01 Explorer ABS module "conditions" it and outputs the required VSS signal to the PCM and speedometer.

What that means is that for a non 98-01 Explorer engine swap, you need the Explorer ABS module, plus a G-force sensor mounted on the frame rail(near the fuel filter). So because your project vehicle is not a 98-01 Explorer which has the special VSS system which includes the PCM and ABS module, plus the G-force sensor(which'd be easy to add), you have tough choices.

Your easiest path is to use a late 97 Explorer PCM and wiring harness, plus convert the 99-01 302 fuel parts with 96-01 stuff. That's the fuel injectors and rails, and add a return fuel line. That also helps you because you don't need the extra fuel tank sensor on top used on 99+ Fords.

Meaning, if you use a 1996 or 97 PCM, then the ABS module and VSS signal is no issue. In those the VSS comes from a normal speed sensor on the transmission or transfer case. Your 99 parts don't have a VSS/speed sensor in the trans/TC. Others have installed the 98-01 Explorer systems into a non 98-01 vehicle, and discovered these problems after the install. Reseach it now and decide what's best for your project.

Interesting analogy. Old point of sale terminals were crt with a motherboard and hard drive on the back. This engine swap would be like going from xt technology to a pentium.

Heh, I'm excited to see this swap happen actually, it sounds like a cool thing to do. And what I meant by the Monitor thing, I have an old Sony Trinitron, a huge CRT from like 1999, and someday I plan to take the insides out (once the tube finally blows) and build a PC inside!

I was an IT guy for 30+ years (mostly main-frame stuff) but that's how I paid the bills. Once I went home for the day it cars, motorcycles and boats for me.

I don't know how much success I will have with this attempt, but I am going to try it. I have the under hood wiring harness and the wiring diagrams are online, so maybe I can figure it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a great challenge and a nice project.

Good luck!

Back