Transmission cooler lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission cooler lines

cskinner89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
I'm replacing all of the transmission cooler lines on my 93 XLT. I have all of them off except for that stupid return line! and in good explorer fashion, that's the only one I really needed to replace.... I've tried many Saturdays to get that flare nut off the transmission but that silly exhaust is in the way... So I realized I'm not getting that off without breaking everything else in my path. and the first foot of the line coming out of the transmission is still good as new, not a spot of rust. So I'm wondering if there's any way I can cut where the line is good and connect some new line to replace the bad stuff. I did something similar with "Unions" on the breaks to connect bubble flares to standard flares (couldn't get a bubble flare tool anywhere!) but I cant seem to find 3/8" unions. Is there any other way I can connect two 3/8" lines together? and do 3/8" unions exist?

Thanks alot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those lines are not high pressure so you can actually just connect it with some rubber transmission line.

That was my first idea. But at 6 bucks a foot... Im going to stick to steel

make sure they are not giving you a price for fuel injection hose. Rubber hose is soon becoming a salvage yard item.

Yeah. The price NAPA quoted me (6.20) was for transmission grade use. But Crappy Tire quoted me 2.50 for power steering grade hose...

It's not high pressure, so any hose should pretty much do the trick. My trans line is leaking and i need to attend to it also.

I hate canadian tire even more every time I go there. I rented a flare tool to do the trans lines and the stupid thing doesnt work. It just pushes the line out.... but back to the topic at hand... I already have all the steel line bought. is there any way that I can connect two picecs of steel line? I used unions on the breaks but cant find any for 3/8"

What about connecting the 2 pieces using a piece of hose and a couple hose clamps?

Thats not a bad idea... Do you think i would have any trouble with the rubber slipping off the steel?

I have rubber on the metal lines and I MUST use two clamps or it will slide off. At one time I had the end flared and pushed the hose over that and then I only needed one clamp. I haven't had the time to fix it (flare the ends again) so I'm still double clamping them.

Even with the flare it isn't propper. The propper method is to flare the end, and then buy a fitting that goes from flare to hose barb and to put the rubber hose there.

~Mark

go to home depot to buy the unions.
or just slip the hose over the steel line an use 2 hose clamps.

yeah.. 3/8 compression fittings are not uncommon. not down here anyway. every joe billy bob and his dancle (dad/uncle) comes and buys them to fix everything from fuel line, brake line, and copper still line.

Update

Just came home from crappy tire. Just bought about 55$ worth of rubber hose. a tube bender. and some hose clamps... If all goes well I'll have it back on the road by friday

Well it was 3$ a foot and i bought 10 feet. a 15 dollar hose bender and 4 hose clamps

I need all 10 feet. I'm replacing all the lines

ON my Bronco II for the last 10+ years I have been using rubber hoses instead of factory metal lines

What I did was cut the metal lines from an Explorer radiator (upper and lower) about 4-5" after the 90 degree bend.

Then I cut the metal lines rfom an Explorer transmission (upper and lower) about 4-5" after the 90 degree bend

I used a simple flare tool to flare the metal line ends (4ea)
Now I use high quality transmission cooler hose to go from transmission to the radiator.
I use a single hose clamp on the lines after the flare.
Have not had a failure or leak ever, it works great. The simple flare tool is a GREAT idea, although if you do not have one you can use two hose clamps and that will hold also

yeah thats what I plan to do. Picked up the flare tool yesterday

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright a quick update here. I have made some progress but not done yet due to the fact I cant get a new flare nut that fits in the radiator. They just don't make them any more and the one i took of is stripped and now missing. Any ideas where to get this? also in the mean time can i bypass the main radiator and just use the smaller radiator with the rubber lines under the main radiator?? I know this is about as clear as mud so I made a basic diagram to explain what I mean http://www.freewebs.com/hostsite1/untitled.JPG this would allow me to be able to run the truck and move it but still have some cooling properties. this isn't a pennant fix by any means and the truck wont be driven this is just till I can get the flare nut

Will this work??

Back