• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Drain Adventures

TN_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
5-1991's; 1-94; 1-2000
Having owned & maintained my Explorer since April 1990, it's only natural that after finding this board I would do more & more of my own maintenance. I began changing the transmission fluid a couple of years ago.

The first time I changed the filter was in the carport. I jacked it up and proceeded to pull the pan bolts and dump 4-1/2 quarts of fluid on the concrete. I was banned from the carport for that adventure, even though it was my wife's Explorer and I was doing this for her.

I got smart and the next time I changed the fluid I went to the base's hobby shop to use their lift and equipment. I put the Explorer up on the lift, rolled a portable drain pan under it, adjusted the drain pan, which is connected by a long pipe to a 5-gallon can on wheels, and began pulling the bolts carefully from one end. With great satisfaction I watched as the transmission fluid all went into the pan. Then I realized the last *&)!# idiot who used it didn't drain the 5-gallon can, as oil and transmission fluid began overflowing the spout onto the floor. With the funnel & tube full, I practiced being all three of the Stooges as I tried to figure out how to make it stop. It took 30 minutes to change the filter and about an hour and a half to clean up the mess! It was even worse than the carport episode, and I was paying rental time on the stall as I was cleaning it up.

I vowed not to do this again, so when I had to rebuild my valve body recently I finally got smart. I pumped most of the oil out first using the engine:

Slide2.JPG

Without all the fluid in the transmisson, I dropped the pan with NO MESS!!! I then installed a kit (AutoZone, $7.99) by drilling a 1/2" hole and bolting it in:

Slide8.JPG

Then I pulled the valve body, put the pan back in place & called it a great day. The next morning the inevitable red pool was oozing out from under the Explorer. Yep, I had forgotten to tighten the drain plug!!!!!!!!!

All of these antics have been worthwhile though, as I have almost no rust problems with any of my tools. As a side benefit, I have discovered that soaking your hair in transmission fluid and washing it with Dawn detergent three times a day leaves it soft and supple and with pleasant red highlights. I expect when women discover this it will become a new fashion fad.

-- Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have had the pleasures of taking ATF showers. Its not fun, and smells horrible :p. I've found kitty litter is great for soaking it up. And if you grind it into the pavement with a 2X4, or even you shoe, cleans it right up.

Ha Ha! (Been there, done that!)
It does a good job of waterproofing the concrete!

Can't find that much kitty litter!

Around here I have been unable to find kitty litter in dump truck load quantities. I am, however, in the market for an inflatable kiddie pool that I can drive over with the front end of the car and then pump it up to catch the red tide!

mctoy said:
Ha Ha! (Been there, done that!)
It does a good job of waterproofing the concrete!
The better half of my driveway beads water everytime it rains ;) and yes ATF showers suck bad but kitty litter is a very good clean up tool. I just use the truck to pump it out and then refil it, less mess and easier.

If you could get a pump and a long hole go into the dipstick and suck up the fluid that way. When you do drop the pan it would not be as much oil. I am sure you could costum made or have the gear oil pump reduce to the line that small enough to go inside the dip stick and pump out the fluid by hand.

jcwhitney as well as other companies sell special dipstic oil extractors jsut fro trannies and engines

Not knowing any better, I yanked the transfer case off the back of a manual tranny in a '88 Ranger without draining the tranny first... geez, what a mess.

:eek:

As far as autos, I take them to a tranny shop for a filter and fluid change.

:D

TN_Explorer - I was once blessed enough to change tranny fluid for a living - IT SUCKS!! but it's not as nasty as diff fluid!

BTW - It's nice to have a fellow Manchestarian on the board!

Back