Turbo anyone?=Growing pains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo anyone?=Growing pains

In my growing effort to see how far we can carry the 4.0L sohc, I have found the first problem in the link. Up till now I have continuously pushed the 4.0L to a level I feel, at this moment, hasn't been pushed before. With my engine nearing 100k I am starting to see my first signs of age. The top end! After a dyno session the other day with a boost setting of 12psi we ended up (with problems) max hp 358 & max torque of 448lb.ft torque , from 2400-4600rpm the torque never dropped below 400 lb.ft. We shut down at 4900rpm due to valve float, if we could finished the pull the truck would've easily made 450-460hp. After evaluating the dyno sheet it was obvious that the valve springs (at the higher boost setting) werent controlling the valves they were only there for the ride. Thus ending my fun.. This confirms lately while tuning for higher boost why the truck hasn't felt to get any faster. It seems as if it were accelerating with the brakes on. This is the only drawback to street tuning. You cannot see what is happening with the vehcle. This is why I always tune on the street then follow up on the dyno. Just to see where the engine likes to make power and if it is over timed. (too much timing).

I am currently working on a ported set of heads and stiffer springs for the 4.0L sohc guys which I hope, won't necessitate a modified head. The set-up will hopefully be able to be run with the stock heads unlike others in the current market. I am only in the infancy so I hope this can be achieved. I will probably, 1st install the cams and then move to ported heads. Dynoing both times to see what, if any differences are to be had from the port work. Initially I am going to install a set of springs and get #'s from bone stock heads then install the cams and move onto ported heads. My pre-mature evaluation is that the stock heads flow so well just porting them without adding cams will be a waste, hence my reasoning for not testing with stock cams+ported heads. A little hint, I am working on getting this truck into the mid to low 7's in the 1/8th by the end of the year... Did someone say dual power adders? :scratch: We will see how it goes. Unfortunately business has slowed to a point that I cannot give a time guarantee, but it will happen. Thanks for all and I will keep you informed.-j

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way V-8 guys, tune your stuff up, us v-6 guys are on to you. :chug::D (poke,poke!)LOL!
Gotta get a little v-6-v-8 controversy going!

By the way V-8 guys, tune your stuff up, us v-6 guys are on to you. :chug::D (poke,poke!)LOL!
Gotta get a little v-6-v-8 controversy going!

I got 6 words to say to you...

Heads, Cams, Kenne Bell, Nitrous V8... ;)

:thumbsup:

When you hit 600 and I hit 700 we will switch cars at the track and race each other. ;) .....................Who am I kidding! I don't know if I could ever let anyone else drive my truck again now. James I am sure you feel the same way. It would be like swapping wife's....just not happening.

I do want to see your truck hit 600 though. I can package Mr. Giggles up and send him your way anytime bud. :p: He still weighs about 8 pounds so he is ready for some fun.

Not get this off-topic but us there any hope for us OHV's? Alot of the stuff I see posted around here pertains to the SOHC. But don't see too much posted about hopping up the OHV's in the first gens

Not get this off-topic but us there any hope for us OHV's? Alot of the stuff I see posted around here pertains to the SOHC. But don't see too much posted about hopping up the OHV's in the first gens

It all comes down to who wants to focus on it to take it to the next level. I have been at the forefront of taking the 4.6 V8 in these Explorer's to the next level, James is the 4.0 SOHC guy, there are a few people who are the 5.0 V8 guys. It all just depends on if there is a knowledgeable person out there that wants to put time into R&Ding the 4.0 OHV for really high performance.

There is potential for the ohv engine. The pistons,rods,and crank are the same between the ohv and sohc. Actually late 1996 ohv engines cranks had the snout machined to accept the gear for the timing chains of the sohc engine. The bottom end isn't the problem with the ohv it is the heads. The only reason for the sohc being so much stronger is the freer flowing heads. Get a good port job (not hogged out), a set of cams, and good strong valve train, I believe the sohc engine might have something to worry about. Are you willing to step up? I am willing to assist with my v-6 knowledge.-j

Be prepared for me to be asking lots of questions about the ohv around march, i wont have a car payment any more and will be ready to mod my 98 sport!

So I take it she's shifting like a dream now? Haven't read much about the truck recently James, glad to hear the v6 putting out those numbers, thats nuts.

Rob, is yours up an running? I haven't been around for a while.

Can't wait till I have some play money to do some stuff like this.

I would like to see a 7.2 1/8 mile run from James.

James - if you can do it by the end of this year, I'll give you 100 bucks. No bull-crap. If you can; you'll see 100 bucks from me.

Rob, is yours up an running? I haven't been around for a while.

Mine has been running for close to a year now. I didn't run it much because I wanted to swap the heads due to a minor TSB issue before really running it hard. Phase 3 which consists of heads, cams and nitrous is coming here soon.

I would like to see a 7.2 1/8 mile run from James.

James - if you can do it by the end of this year, I'll give you 100 bucks. No bull-crap. If you can; you'll see 100 bucks from me.

I see potential axle breakage in James' future.

Mine already whines like a supercharger. I think something may be wrong with my one wheel wonder.

Hey buttmunch, that is five words! That is after my correction. LOL

Is that Alabama math you're using there?
1poke.gif

I guess you'll have to take the passangers seat out for that turbo.

So if we listed the 4.0 SOHC weak links, they would be....

1. Valve float issue at 350 HP (estimate)?
2. Stock pistons at 12 PSI?
3. Rods....The mustang guys have replaced the stock pistons with forged, only to brake a rod later. Or is it the crank that is flexing? Who knows.

I would just like to document this all so we can overcome this.

Jake

So I take it she's shifting like a dream now? Haven't read much about the truck recently James, glad to hear the v6 putting out those numbers, thats nuts. Can't wait till I have some play money to do some stuff like this.
I am still working on the tranny. Believe it or not, although I have tuned some serious combinations, this tranny has by far been the hardest! When I took the project on the engineer at PTCS told me I was wading in unchartered waters and that this tranny is hard to get a handle on. It shifts better than it ever has and is getting better every day(on street tires). I hope to go to the track and see how she reacts on the smaller diameter slicks. The first time out last year was a nightmare. Trans was short shifting, binding, etc. Just thought I had a hand on it at that moment. Hopefully I will be more successful this time. I am almost positive the trans will shift properly. Shooting for high 7's in the 1/8th...We'll see!-j
James-
I didn't know you wore glasses--
Actually I do. But I am alot sexier than that guy in the pics.:D LOL!

I guess you'll have to take the passangers seat out for that turbo.

So if we listed the 4.0 SOHC weak links, they would be....

1. Valve float issue at 350 HP (estimate)?
2. Stock pistons at 12 PSI?
3. Rods....The mustang guys have replaced the stock pistons with forged, only to brake a rod later. Or is it the crank that is flexing? Who knows.

I would just like to document this all so we can overcome this.

Jake
I cannot guarentee that the valve float issue will be a problem or inherent weakness. I really feel that the springs are just weak due to the high mileage on them. As far as the pistons-I have personally run 14psi in testing without a failure-yet.....Extensive running on high boost, may yield different results. Tuning, big intercooler & meth I believe have been parts of my success. People don't realize how important tuning is. It is imperative when you have a modded combo. As far as the rods, the stockers are supposed to be forged with the rod bolts being the weak point. If you are making 400whp boosted, this is double than stock. So a rod failure at those levels wouldn't surprise me. But once again, keep detonation at bay and you will see alot of these failure possibilities reduced. Tune,tune, tune-I cannot emphasize this enough. Especially when you are boosted,N2O and supercharged. Remote tuning is a possibility but not preferred. This will be the life of your engine. Will mine get another 30K? I cannot answer that,time will only tell. I am beating the odds for the power I am making and there are other secrets to my success (which I will not disclose). Support hardware is my next recommendation. All the turbos,chargers and n2o in the world are not any good without fuel. Lean is mean but dangerous as well. Elevated cylinder pressures,lowered detonation threshold,etc will all rear thier ugly head=disaster.

I would like you all to document it so I can copy it one day and claim it as my own! Jking.
That'll work...

Craeger seemed to do a pretty decent build, too bad it seems like he disappeared shortly afterward.

I'll be doing a moderate street build on my DD and depending on when the engine goes on the 92 that might get a rebuild or a 302 swap, haven't made up my mind yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My statement above could cause confusion. The 4.0 SOHC already has forged rods. Thanks, James.

Even though they have forged rods, I've been watching a few guys rebuild the 4.0 SOHC only to blow it up a few months later. I guess they got carried away and figured there engine could now handle anything. I would just like to be a little cautious about the problems others had. (learn from there mistakes so I don't have to pay for them)

Back