U-Haul? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U-Haul?

Anyone else get some BS from U-Haul saying that they aren't allowed to rent you a trailer if it's being towed by an Explorer????? I have a 2003 V8 EB with a tow package.... I'm pretty sure I could tow their dinky little trailers no problem.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's because of the 2nd gen "rollover problem". It's BS, because they'll rent to a Mountaineer, Navajo, or Ranger.

I also encountered a U-Haul dealer who would not rent me a 12 or 14 foot trailer because I planned to pull it with my 02 Explorer. He refused even after I told him I had pulled a 30 foot camper over 20 thousand miles with the Explorer. So, I borrowed a Dodge Dakota pickup with a lesser towing capacity that I had never driven and made the 250 mile round trip using the pickup to pull the little trailer. This was in 2004. I would have thought they would have gotten smarter by now.

The best is that they have no problem selling trailer hitch receivers for the Explorer but won't let me rent a trailer.

I also encountered a U-Haul dealer who would not rent me a 12 or 14 foot trailer because I planned to pull it with my 02 Explorer. He refused even after I told him I had pulled a 30 foot camper over 20 thousand miles with the Explorer. So, I borrowed a Dodge Dakota pickup with a lesser towing capacity that I had never driven and made the 250 mile round trip using the pickup to pull the little trailer. This was in 2004. I would have thought they would have gotten smarter by now.

Just use the dakota to pick the trailer up, then pull it with the explorer

It's all ok guys, I've got your back... I rent and use their pickup trucks to launch my boat instead of my Explorer.... Let them deal with the rusty ass.... Thats right, to hell with washing the salt water off...

Anyone had luck with just telling them they have a "Sport Trac" or a "Ranger Quad Cab" if you've got a sport trac?

This is because of the lawsuits that occurred after the firestone incident. Ford is trying to settle with them to allow Explorers after 2011 to be towing trailers.

i ran into this when i had my blazer. they were really curious as to what i was pulling the trailer with and i questioned them back. they told me it was because they are not allowed to rent to someone with an explorer. at the time i just had a 97 2 door blazer.now i rent the biggest truck they got.

Just told mine it was an Expidition...worked with no issue. Towed it 1,900 miles, through mountains and over 70+ with no issue at all.

Just told mine it was an Expidition...worked with no issue. Towed it 1,900 miles, through mountains and over 70+ with no issue at all.

good one problem solved... lol

I rented a 6x12 uhaul trailer with an f150 and hauled it 1250 miles with my Gen 2 explorer, the explorer felt really unstable hauling the trailer. I balanced the trailer out the best I could as I loaded it but still I experience a very unstable trip. I can say at times I felt like if I didn't manuever smoothly I could have been in a dangerous situation to the point of loosing control and even rolling over.

i tried to tell them the other day that i had a mountaineer. he asked why the hatch said explorer. i told him because the original hatch was damaged in a garage. then he asked about the front end. it was wrecked. the he asked about the inside. the wreck deployed the airbags and the donor vehicle was an explorer. he told me i had to pull the ford and explorer emblems off since it was a mountaineer. after i explained that mountaineer was a mercury not a ford. i went outside about to go pull all the ford stuff off. got half way there and decided this was not worth the effort. got my drivers license back and my credit card and told him to shove the trailer....... never mind.

its ridiculous

so i was at u-haul online today, went thru the trailer selection, entered my vehicle and surprise!!! i cant rent one because i drive an explorer??? sh*tty...
so i researched this issue on herre and wow, guess im not the first one this happend to

but no biggie, couldnt i just borrow another truck to pick up the trailer and then just change it to my ex??? the thing is that im moving from phoenix to vegas, or should i just try to lie and get away with it??

Anyone had luck with just telling them they have a "Sport Trac" or a "Ranger Quad Cab" if you've got a sport trac?

:thumbsup:

just take off you emblems, and re-badge it with Mounty's. could go as far as the grille too lol...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And UHaul STILL refuses to rent a trailer to the Explorer;even the 2011 vehicles...

But the Mountaineer is also still golden...They have no issues with them as stated earlier...

Stupid...

BTW if you rebadge the truck does U-Haul ask to see your vehicle insurance? Unfortunately you can't rebadge that....And the registration won't change either which could cause some "issues" with any LEO...

Always seems to be a roadblock just to rent a damn trailer from Uhaul...

Back