Under dash LED lighting | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Under dash LED lighting

I wanted to do this for a long time, and I finally got some time last week. Very cheap only cost about $8.00 used 5 15,000 MCD 5mm Blue LEDs on each side, mounted on project boards that can be found at Radio Shack. I Highly recommend this, it gets a lot of attention and is a nice accent to any vehicle. This is practice for my chassis under glow project Im doing this spring. What do you guys think?

IMG_0101.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did the same thing to my friends Mazda Speed 3, Same exact setup as I did in my Explorer, except we used red LEDs for his. 6 33,000mcd LEDs on each side.

IMG_0086-1.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0091-2.jpg

the whole gold lite pedals is madd tight howd you do that and keep the backround red? did you just adjust the to angle like that?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

alright so what if i want them to come on when the doors are opened and with a switch so i can make it so that when the doors are open they don't come on....i'm assuming that it'd be alright to tap into one of the wires for the light that's in the door???

alright so what if i want them to come on when the doors are opened and with a switch so i can make it so that when the doors are open they don't come on....i'm assuming that it'd be alright to tap into one of the wires for the light that's in the door???

to be honest no idea man i am have no idea about wiring and electrical i was just throwing it out their sorta pishing for an answer myself..

it would be pretty cool if you could do a write up mustang, or anyone else who did this mod
ive been wanting to do it but just dont know how

you would have to run two positive leads to the LEDs and one ground. with switches on both of the wires. at least htat's the only way that i can think about it.

That would allow you to run power to the LED's while the doors are closed, and then if you wanted to have them come on only when you opened the doors you could allow the power to run that way.

justin.

the whole gold lite pedals is madd tight howd you do that and keep the backround red? did you just adjust the to angle like that?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

it would be pretty cool if you could do a write up mustang, or anyone else who did this mod
ive been wanting to do it but just don't know how

There isn't much that will differ. The board will be made the same way. Mounting and wiring the board to the vehicle would be the only difference.

doi.jpg

i was thinking something more like this
switch.jpg

would that work?

no because it wouldn't be able to come on whenver you wanted it without all your other interiors coming on as well.

You'd have to do what Mustang said, or what i said, tho his requires one less switch and is more intelligent.. :D

no because it wouldn't be able to come on whenver you wanted it without all your other interiors coming on as well.

You'd have to do what Mustang said, or what i said, tho his requires one less switch and is more intelligent.. :D

i only need to have the option of on or off when the door is open

i only need to have the option of on or off when the door is open

sorry misinterpreted what you were trying to do, then yes you could do that, you would have to run one wire from your dome light to a switch then split it to your LED bars.

That would work,

Justin

sorry misinterpreted what you were trying to do, then yes you could do that, you would have to run one wire from your dome light to a switch then split it to your LED bars.

That would work,

Justin

ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!! now all that's left is to get the money, get the parts and get the time thank you

Patman trust me your going to want to be able to turn these on when the doors are closed.

i'll just do that by turning on the dome lights when the doors are closed

well since were on the subject about under dash leds ive been working on this for a week now and i have all the rear seats finished and wired up and set to a switch but for the front i want them to turn on when i turn on the lights and dim with the dimmer and when the dimmer is all the way to the bottom and clicks(turns off the interior lights while the doors are open) the lights would be completely off.. is this a logical and feasible goal haha.. thanks (sorry kinda hijacking this one)

well since were on the subject about under dash leds ive been working on this for a week now and i have all the rear seats finished and wired up and set to a switch but for the front i want them to turn on when i turn on the lights and dim with the dimmer and when the dimmer is all the way to the bottom and clicks(turns off the interior lights while the doors are open) the lights would be completely off.. is this a logical and feasible goal haha.. thanks (sorry kinda hijacking this one)

Wireingas.jpg

The dome light wire will open and close the relay

The dimmer switch wire will go to the power in lead on the relay and the voltage will be increased and decreased by the dimmer switch. You could also use a wire from one of the dash light bulbs, I would use the wire that goes into the Climate Controls its easy to find and access

Im impatient lol :(
I'd rather pay go spend the extra few dollars at a local Electical Connections store
And be able to do them sometime this week

Well, That is if i get a way to pay via Paypal

Toast those LEDs are only 7000 mcd, The ones I showed you are 13000mcd almost 2x as bright. HAVE PATIENCE!!! lol

Back