Underdrive alternator pulley | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Underdrive alternator pulley

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
Underdrive alternator pulley is here.

Arrived today from from Underdog Performance ( http://underdog-performance.com/index.html ).

Plan to install this week.
Thought you got it week ago from Bama and you had your old pully half way off? :confused:
Correction, you got it from Bama 1/20/06, as per your post

spindle - underdrive ALTERNATOR pulley. I am guessing in addition to his crank udp.

snocross1985 said:
spindle - underdrive ALTERNATOR pulley. I am guessing in addition to his crank udp.

Scott, you are correct.

Al, I have a question.
I could have sworn you earlier stated that the A/C had no or little impact on fuel mileage.
If so, how do you expect the alternator pulley to have any? Did I miss something? (slap, pay attention)
I am interested in the outcome though.

Al, I noticed on the site you posted that they have an udp for the waterpump. Do you have any plans of using one?

snocross1985 said:
Al, I noticed on the site you posted that they have an udp for the waterpump. Do you have any plans of using one?

Yes; its ordered ( back ordered another few weeks ).

jtsmith said:
Al, I have a question.
I could have sworn you earlier stated that the A/C had no or little impact on fuel mileage.
If so, how do you expect the alternator pulley to have any? Did I miss something? (slap, pay attention)
I am interested in the outcome though.

A rule of thumb is that it costs 1 HP for every 25 AMP output of the alternator. This also equates to loss of gas mileage.

Totally agreed. On the other hand, BTU's take hp to produce also, correct?
See, I'm still stuck on the air conditioner question.
BTU's have to effect MPG, just as amps do.

jtsmith said:
Totally agreed. On the other hand, BTU's take hp to produce also, correct?
See, I'm still stuck on the air conditioner question.
BTU's have to effect MPG, just as amps do.

At this stage in my investigation I am not sure what effect the underdrive alternator pulley will have on mileage.

However, I have fairly extensively tested the actual gas mileage of AC use vs no AC use and have found no detectable difference in mileage,

In theory, you are correct, it should cost mileage.

Back