upgrade coil packs on 2004 Explorer XLT V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

upgrade coil packs on 2004 Explorer XLT V8

ROMAC

Reaction score
City, State
Woodcroft
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
Need advise = is it worth upgrading my stock coil packs to either MSD or ACCEL and if so is one better than the other ?

Cheers,
Rod

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need advise = is it worth upgrading my stock coil packs to either MSD or ACCEL and if so is one better than the other ?

Cheers,
Rod

I've been kicking around the same idea myself. From my understanding though, sometimes Motorcraft parts just work better with our engine. Haven't done it yet though. I guess I'm not 100% sold on my own logic.

Also consider Striker coils. Cheaper than both the above. Keen to hear opinions too.

I am running MSD right now, and the improvement was slightly noticalbe on the low end. MSD has been leading the way in ignition components for a long time and i would feel safest doing buisiness with them. It is absolutely A WASTE OF MONEY!!! unless your stocker coils are starting to go out. You cannot justify the cost of 8 Hp at about $350 otherwise. Why are you considering coils? i have done it all with bolt ons for these trucks and can steer you towards some more beneficial mods if you would like

I have tried to search and find the thread on some coils that are knock off msd's if i remember right. they bought em on ebay and said worked great..

If i remember right it was brooklyn bay, feddy fedz, or limited 02 that talked about buying them and installing, but im not exactly sure. maybe you can have more luck finding it than i did, then pm them to see how they are working out.

They wouldnt even net 8hp... they may make drivability a little better but not worth 300+$...i had an 03 mustang with a built motor and turbo making around 500whp and was on stock coils and had absolutly no problems...the sohc 4.6l just dosent really respond to anything but forced induction

Personal opinion here is that msd or accel or what ever you put on there will not be worth the money, unless it is something cosmetically that you like.. The performance part is not really there, yes there is some performance that you will gain but not worth it.... Now I will say that when you raise the hood and you see that bright red or yellow under the hood that may give a little bit of a wow factor but again unless you are looking for that wow factor cosmetically then I don't think it is worth it...

For me motorcraft parts are where it's at... It's what the engine was made with and you see many exes living for 100k+ miles and that is good enough for me!

Either way you go let us know ow it goes and what you choose, and as always take some pics along the way so we can see your eye candy!

Back