Upgrading your old Explorer keys to something nicer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading your old Explorer keys to something nicer

Rainlord

Reaction score
City, State
Zurich, Switzerland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT
I recently bought a used Ford Explorer 2012 XLT (in Europe) - with key starter, and when the dealer handed it to me I realized it has the very old style key that doesn't fold, and constantly pokes you in your pocket. It was also really beat up. As I have no easy access to a Ford dealer over here that can deal with Explorers (as it's nearly a US/Canada-only sold car) I figured I'd throw some money on trying to do "new keys" myself. The goal was to have a flip-style key and something that looked like most new cars. I'll describe the quite easy process here in case someone is in the same boat and has thought about it.

For starters, here's the old key:
2012-ford-explorer-keyless-remote-key-4-button-21.jpg

I ordered 2 blank keys on Ebay, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131883176041 - I opted for this one as it was nicer than most and the title said Ford Explorer, so I figured it was compatible on some level.

$_57.jpg

I was worried that they had changed the key frequency when the car came over to Europe but it turned out that was not the case.

Once I had the keys, the next step was to get them engraved. I stopped by a local locksmith store (that's usually where people go for keys over here) and the very rude lady said she would do no such thing as copying a car key, and to go to the dealer. I didn't give up though and went over to a Mr Minit and introduced my key as "old car, can't get new keys as it's a US car". He just shrugged like he didn't care. But he said the expanded key was too big for his machine.

Should your key guy also not have a big copy machine, What you have to do is to take the new key apart, which is very easy. Just tug on the plastic back of the key, and it should pop off without too much effort.

mFzYnK3.jpg

Inside you will see a small screw holding the blank key in place (top left in picture). Unscrew it and keep some pressure on the plastic part until the screw is out. Then slowly let your pressure up, a spring will push out. Ensure it doesn't fly away. Also take out the little metal insert and put all of those things aside. Take only the blank key to your key copy person.

akpMW4d.jpg

The Mr Minit guy said it fit now, but looked closely at the Ebay key and said it was slightly different, that the groove was a little different and the thickness didn't seem quite the same. I figured worst case I'd lose $20 so I asked him to go for it anyway. 5 min later I had two engraved keys. I tested them in the car and the door opened, but the car said the alarm would go off if I didn't insert a real (programmed) key, so I did. But the key worked to unlock the door (but you can't start your car with it).

I can't say if it works for newer models than 2012, should they be more picky with exact key thickness etc, but it probably will, I doubt they changed that part much before they introduced button start.

To put the key together again, put the little metal insert back in (it has 3 spokes, they can only go in 1 way) and put the spring on the plastic pin. The side of the spring that has a little part sticking out should go up into the plastic bit we unscrewed. Take unscrewed plastic part and place it on the spring. Now rotate the plastic cover counter clockwise while ensuring the spring doesn't fly away or let go. Rotate it 2 full loops, then push down and screw the screw back in. Doing this "loads the spring" which means your key will actually flip out when you push the button. If it doesn't, you loaded the spring in the wrong direction, just release the spring and go the other way.

Then it came to actually programming them so that the buttons work and the key is recognized by the car. The keys came with poorly translated Chinese instructions, and only 1 of them worked in my case. There's 2 ways to add new keys, one is to put in your old key and turn the ignition on, then count a few seconds, turn off and do the same with the second key, then off, and then do the new key (this is in the manual as well). However, this didn't work for these keys, the car said it refused the new key. So, here's what actually works, but be careful as you're reprogramming all your keys:

A YouTube video I found (including written on the Chinese instructions) explained that if you want to reprogram all keys, close all doors first, then you turn the ignition on and off 8 times in rapid succession (don't actually start the car). When done, the car responds by locking/unlocking the doors. That's programming mode. Now you press any button (unlock for example) on ALL keys, old and new, in succession. I did the old ones first (starting with the one in the ignition), then the new ones. When done, turn the ignition off and programming is completed. The new keys should now work and aren't rejected by the car anymore.

The only difference I notice between my old and new key functionality-wise is that the "double press to open the cargo door" needs an ever so slightly slower double-press than my original key (and of course the key picture doesn't have the 2x on it), other than that, it works like a charm!

Here's the new key family and the old (tags are old hotel keys found on Etsy):

2BBARwg.jpg

If anyone has a question let me know!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are those metal things sticking out at the end of the key fob?

I believe what you are referring to is the key blade.

Peter

I was worried that they had changed the key frequency when the car came over to Europe but it turned out that was not the case.

Inside you will see a small screw holding the blank key in place (top left in picture). Unscrew it and keep some pressure on the plastic part until the screw is out. Then slowly let your pressure up, a spring will push out. Ensure it doesn't fly away. Also take out the little metal insert and put all of those things aside. Take only the blank key to your key copy person.

A YouTube video I found (including written on the Chinese instructions) explained that if you want to reprogram all keys, close all doors first, then you turn the ignition on and off 8 times in rapid succession (don't actually start the car). When done, the car responds by locking/unlocking the doors. That's programming mode. Now you press any button (unlock for example) on ALL keys, old and new, in succession. I did the old ones first (starting with the one in the ignition), then the new ones. When done, turn the ignition off and programming is completed. The new keys should now work and aren't rejected by the car anymore.

If anyone has a question let me know!

interesting thanks for sharing @Rainlord i would like to buy additonal keys like those and my question is your Ex has 315mhz since i have import EX mine was 433mhz frequency. and i think i exceeded the max number of keyfob program on the car but actually i only have 2 right now the rest are lost so, if i follow the programming you mentioned do you think the lost keys will be deleted when i program again the existing 2 keys + new?

With IA keys, I never see the keyfob anymore; as it is clipped to my pants or in my wallet (Lexus wallet keycard).

Have you opened your IA keyfob?
Theres a physical key inside also.
Op swapped out an older style "switch blade" keyfob for the newer ones that are simiar to the IA type.

Nice job and I didn't like that with my previous 2013 XLT and you are correct that long key pokes you in a not so fun way!

I believe what you are referring to is the key blade.

Peter
I believe he's referring to the button the fob that used to release the key when it's folded back into the fob.

interesting thanks for sharing @Rainlord i would like to buy additonal keys like those and my question is your Ex has 315mhz since i have import EX mine was 433mhz frequency. and i think i exceeded the max number of keyfob program on the car but actually i only have 2 right now the rest are lost so, if i follow the programming you mentioned do you think the lost keys will be deleted when i program again the existing 2 keys + new?

To be honest I'm not 100% sure. According to Ford Etis when entering the VIN it gives me this:
  • Frequency - 315MHZ
So I assumed that that is what it was. However, I wouldn't know how to truly test it. The original keys I have with the car look so old that I just figured they are still on the US-frequency. But it's a big question as to what Ford does to any US-car that is sent to Europe to make it pass regulation over here. Obviously changing the dash to show km/h or such is clear, but the finer details I'm not sure.

However, I saw key fobs on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...0170622120357&SearchText=433+315+mhz+ford+key that let you switch between 433 and 315 with some special button press, so maybe that would be an option?

If someone knows an easy way to check what mhz I'm really on, let me know!

Do a search on EBay for multi frequency remote or 285 MHZ to 868 MHZ remote. These remotes are true universal remotes. They allow you to program multiple frequencies on a single remote. You could have one vehicle, and even an automatic garage door on the same remote. They don't come with an integrated key, but for $20 you could easily program it yourself.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure. According to Ford Etis when entering the VIN it gives me this:
  • Frequency - 315MHZ
So I assumed that that is what it was. However, I wouldn't know how to truly test it. The original keys I have with the car look so old that I just figured they are still on the US-frequency. But it's a big question as to what Ford does to any US-car that is sent to Europe to make it pass regulation over here. Obviously changing the dash to show km/h or such is clear, but the finer details I'm not sure.

However, I saw key fobs on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...0170622120357&SearchText=433+315+mhz+ford+key that let you switch between 433 and 315 with some special button press, so maybe that would be an option?

If someone knows an easy way to check what mhz I'm really on, let me know!
thanks @Rainlord i emailed the seller where you bought yours and he replied that they have both frequency. so i will order the 433mhz very soon, but you mentioned on your first post they were $20 each? they are now $40 each free shipping in my area.

THANK YOU! I just bought 2014 XLT and thought exactly the same as you when they handed me the key. I just placed the order with the ebay seller!

In case someone at Ford is reading this, I prefer the old style key which is smaller in my pocket, less fragile, weighs less, is less fiddly to use as a key, doesn't splay out my keyring as much with other things on it, is less expensive to replace, easier to keep clean, and can be cut anywhere unlike the newer style key blade used on some like Ford Fusion.

IMO, it is the last good key Ford will ever make. The only way I'd improve it is make the shell carbon fiber or titanium but then it would probably need a RF antenna band on the outside or possibly turn the key blade into the antenna.

...In case someone at Ford is reading this,...the Ex IAK fob is as big as a hotdog and still cant be seen at night or in really bad weather.
If the thing is this big, cant it at least have an LED in it with a soft tab to be able to press the side or top or corner & shed light up to the buttons?

I doubt anyone from Ford is reading this Forum. That is why they have the Ford Social website so owners can leave comments there.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THANK YOU! I just bought 2014 XLT and thought exactly the same as you when they handed me the key. I just placed the order with the ebay seller!

My key arrived... Had it cut at a local locksmith, and programmed it myself. It worked to start the car, but wouldn't unlock the doors. I happened to be at the dealer for something else, and they programmed the remote locks and everything appears to be working great!

Of course I'm never satisfied, and have been reading another thread on this site about getting the pre-existing XLT remote starter turned on, which would require different fobs with the start buttons. Did anyone ever find a flip key with the remote start function?

Back