• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Warrior 153 shackles install with pics

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
So going offroad is not going to hurt the stock shocks? I'm not yet a hardcore offroader, but do go onto dirt roads at times where its really bumpy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Your fine with stock shocks and the shackles. If you go any higher than the lift given by shackles, then you would want longer shocks. This is so they don't go beyond the max extension and eventually break.

It wouldn't hurt to go a couple inches longer, as long as you keep your collapsed rate around the same. Going longer will give your axle more flex and less chance of using them to stop your axle from flexing. Without limit straps, your shocks and your leaf springs are the only thing that stop your droop from one side to the next. I have much longer shocks than stock, and I still flex them to their max extension. It all depends on what your going to use it for, when deciding on shocks.

Keep the stockers on for now in the stock mounting locations, until you think you want to get more flex out of it. For now, your safe to use the stock shocks. :)

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
Yep, stock shocks work. I swapped to a 4 door leaf pack, added a leaf, and put on lift shackles gaining me 3 inches over start (2 inches over what would have been level). Took it out in the woods today and it flexed just fine. Have a new set of ranchos(stock sized) ready to put on.

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok great! I just think i should get new shocks now that ill b messing with the suspension might as well replace the shocks.

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
WELL, I got my shackles today, pretty lol.

Now I just have to wait for my wrenches to come in, and I can start doing the lift.

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
What is the power tool called that can use sockets with power to get nuts off that are stubborn? is that an impact wrench? If so, does anyone know if HF carries them? Sears wants waayyyy too much. I attempted to get the left shackle off last night, and boy those nuts are not budging with my current regular socket set. Would a breaker bar help? I'm just tossing out ideas....not really sure what to do now. Should I spray the crap outta them for weeks with PB Blaster or what?

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
What is the power tool called that can use sockets with power to get nuts off that are stubborn? is that an impact wrench? If so, does anyone know if HF carries them? Sears wants waayyyy too much. I attempted to get the left shackle off last night, and boy those nuts are not budging with my current regular socket set. Would a breaker bar help? I'm just tossing out ideas....not really sure what to do now. Should I spray the crap outta them for weeks with PB Blaster or what?
Spray with PB blaster and let soak for a day. My impact wrench was too weak to bust them off. I used a breaker bar(18 to 20 inches long if I had to guess) on my 3/8 socket wrench and they came right off no problem.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Yeah a breaker bar after there soaked down real good helps. Impact are great for removing them after the nuts are off. Spin em and tap the ends of the bolts. Thread the nut back on about half way and tap the nut so you don't thrash the threads on the bolts.

I use a pin bar to remove them the rest of the way as I operate the floor jack. You can get the jack just right to relieve the pressure off the bolts as you tap them out.

Just remember not to tighten them to much when you install the new shackles. They will bend inward if you go gonzo on the wrench. ;)

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
Yeah a breaker bar after there soaked down real good helps. Impact are great for removing them after the nuts are off. Spin em and tap the ends of the bolts. Thread the nut back on about half way and tap the nut so you don't thrash the threads on the bolts.

I use a pin bar to remove them the rest of the way as I operate the floor jack. You can get the jack just right to relieve the pressure off the bolts as you tap them out.

Just remember not to tighten them to much when you install the new shackles. They will bend inward if you go gonzo on the wrench. ;)
Agreed. I had the torque specs somewhere, ill see if I can find them...

edit: "Tighten the rear spring shackle lower bolt and nut to 83-112 Lb/Ft"
-this is what i followed for the upper and lower shackle bolts..pulled from a "how to" on a leaf pack swap.

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
I soaked the nuts for 24 hours, and still the right side will not budge. I got a 17" breaker bar 3/8" drive and was able to loosen the entire left side, but the right side is going nowhere. Guess I'm gonna have to have the husband break them loose for me.

BTW, what's a pin bar? I was able to get the top bolt of the left shackle, but the bottom one isn't budging.

OOPS my fault, it was a 17" breaker bar, NOT a 7".

Last edited:

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Use a 2 foot 1/2" breaker bar. Yours is too small. Bigger is better in this case. If they wont budge with that, there most likely froze to the bushings.

A pin bar is just a tool that has a pointed blunt end to center holes with or to drive things out of a hole.

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Wow thats a LONG breaker bar lol. Dunno if I can find one that big. Ok got it with the pin bar. Guess I get another trip to HF tomorrow. OR, if worse comes to worse, Sears.

Which bolt needs to come off first, the bottom or top? If i get the top one out, will that make a mess for me to take care of?

Doesn't help that the old shackles and bolts are completely rusted.

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
WELL, I ended up taking the ex to a spring shop. They charged me $70 to put both shackles on. PIX:

Not sure if the lift is that noticeable....hard to tell from my angles.

foxbody351

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 5.0 V8
nice! definitely will give it a try

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Bushings survived :) Looks good I think :) The spring shop couldn't get one of the nuts on one of the coil springs to break loose, so they sprayed the crap outta it, and hopefully next week they will be able to put on the coil seats. I can't wait to be able to afford new tires!

Gse Brent

Reaction score
City, State
Small Wonder
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
About to get a set, cant wait to see the outcome on my st. Doesn't look too bad to install.

tjsxplodr

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Not hard to install if you have the right set of tools and bolts that aren't rusted!!! LOL!!

Tazkb

Reaction score
City, State
Bolton Lancashire UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
On the warrior kit ?
as I am making my own shackles can anyone tell me

what size are the bolts ? I would like to get new ones before I start the job
and do they need to be High Tensile steel bolts ?

mines a pain as there is a towbar fitted obscuring the top bolt and stopping it sliding all the way out, if I am fittin new bolts it will be easier to cut the top bolt heads off so they will come out, when I refit I will put the bolts back withe heads on the opposite side incase I need access again
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Benny1581

Reaction score
City, State
Thunder Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
take your shackle to your local bolt bin.

the bolts have to be the width of the shackle + the width of the nut and associated washers... I think mine were 4.250 or 4.500"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Anyone know if the Warrior 153 shackles fit a Ranger? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
JamminG4Jim Warrior 153 Shackles and Pinion angle Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
H Do you have warrior 153's? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
rhyno Just installed Warrior 153, didnt do much Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
E Trying to install warrior spring shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 11
MidnightRebel07 I'm buying used Warrior Products lift shackles, no bolts. What size are the bolts? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
L Are Warrior Shackles still the choice of most on here? I'm looking to get a set soon. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
J Wanted Warrior Shackle Info and other lift questions Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
Y Warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
N Quick question regarding Warrior Shackle & TT Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
D Warrior shackle lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
G Where can I find warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
A shackles-other than warrior Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 15
3 Warrior shackles and TT? I'm new to this!!! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
A Warrior shackle length Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
N Warrior Sway Bar Disconnects Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
2 TT and Warrior Shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 22
S Warrior Shackle Install - Before and after pics Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
S Does anyone have pics of Warrior shackles from behind? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
D Cheap warrior 153s? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
9 pic of warrior shackles installed on 2nd gen? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
T warrior shackel and hidden hitch ? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
E Help ! Spec. Warrior Shakles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 14
C warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
I Warrior Shock Mounts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
C Warrior Shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 14
B A warrior shackle question Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
I Warrior Shackles...Where to buy? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
B Ordered Warrior Shackles will i have to get rid of my Rancho5000 Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
B URGENT QUESTION ON WARRIOR SHACKLES........ Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
9 warrior shackels instal ? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
9 will my warrior shackles fit Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
G Busted warrior u-bolt skid plate - how do i fix it? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
H Question about warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
L Tellico has an overstock on Warrior Shackles. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 22
T AAL and Warrior Installation Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
B JD Shock and Warrior Shackle Questions Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
B warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
M Warrior Shackles question..... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
W Are the Warrior shackles on 1.25" lift? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
W What is the part number for the warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
Kirby N. Opinions on Warrior Quick Discos Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
M Torsion twist and warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
B Shortening warrior shackles... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
E warrior shackles/tt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
W warrior quick disconnect noise problem? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
B Front B bars lift to warrior lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
S Ballpark Warrior Shackle price? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
L Torson Twist, Warrior Shackles and leaf bundles, a Fresh Look Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 20
F Where to find Warrior Shackels on Net or Denver Area...Helpmae Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8