• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Warrior 153 shackles install with pics

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
The bolts are supposed to be 14mm bolts (don't remember how long). 1/2" bolts will wobble around in the spring bushing.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Here's the specs on the bolts for the WP shackles...

Class 8.8 14mm bolts 4.25" long, Nylock nuts

or you can upgrade to 9/16"x 4 1/2" grade 8 bolts

If you need to drill the holes out bigger use Cobalt drill bits.

fordkevin

Reaction score
City, State
Gladstone oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt
+10 im doing mine tomorro i did the 2'' tt in front now the shackles in back ill put pics up later tomorro thanks for all the help

fordkevin

Reaction score
City, State
Gladstone oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt
will they fit if i have the ford towing hitch to they look like mthey might be a little close idk has any one done it on a 1997 with the tow bar

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Yep, they'll fit.

stkline81

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6 OHV
Kevin, I installed them on my '97 xlt which has the tow package & have had no clearance problems.

zero_psi

Reaction score
City, State
mi b hills
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt svt
have any pics how the aal are installed... i don't think mine are doing anything :( i bought some to try and lift the rear with my shackles more. i bought the rough country lift coils and i guess im gonna need a older f150 leaf pack... any ideas would be great

pinpal454

Reaction score
City, State
milwaukee WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer sport
warrior 153 shackles

Just had my new qarrior 153 shackles installed today by my mechanic, and he said it was a good thing I didn't try them myself with hand tools, because it took him 1/2 hour with an air chisel to get the old ones off! He didn't want to use a torch because of the rubber bushings. They look great! and it really restored the ride height perfectly. Also had new shocks put on, and what a dramatic difference!!! Thanks for the photos and the inspiration though...I'm glad you were able to do yours yourself...it's a little rougher in the rust belt!!!

I'll have to take some photos of it, and post here. Next step, 31" tires!! wonder if they'll fit....?????

LONO100

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
with the warrior shackles and a torsion twist up front, you should have no problem fitting 31"s. probably wont even have to do much trimming if any.

AlexSport'00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
GONE: 2000 Explorer Sport
This is great. Can't wait til I get some to put on mine! :D

Last edited:

2TimingTom

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Any ideas on how to remove a bolt that goes through the end of the spring pack? I've got 3 of the 4 bolt loose, but the lower right isn't budging. It's been soaking in power steering fluid for a couple days. Multiple whacks with a BFH and still nothing.

stkline81

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6 OHV
I used a railroad spike ground to the right size & a 3lb sledge.

goldnblack

Reaction score
City, State
north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
btw this is a good write up, but also this is a noob question, im goin got buy the war 153 shackles but when i do the picture on the sites i go to are different then what everyone is using on the forums, should i worry what the picture looks like as long as it says war 153 shackles?

Four0Sport

Jack Pewe
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
btw this is a good write up, but also this is a noob question, im goin got buy the war 153 shackles but when i do the picture on the sites i go to are different then what everyone is using on the forums, should i worry what the picture looks like as long as it says war 153 shackles?
I noticed the same thing, I'm on my second set and when the product arrived it was correct.

BTW I'm glad my post has helped.

SVTruner94

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Four0Sport and everyone else this thread was perfect pretty much answered any questions i already had. I had a 94 sport but had to let her go i miss that tank. Now i have a '96 XLT and i wanted to do a mild lift and put some nice size rubbers on i think the tt and shackles will cover that without an issue.

goldnblack

Reaction score
City, State
north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
just got done putting the shackles on and it looks sick! and big thanks to this awesome write up it helped and went easlier

RBender1

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer limited V8
Did the instal a few days ago. What a difference. Have a set of Monroe reflex on the back the only thing is now there is alot of creeking if I push on the bumper. Any thoughts if that gonna be a problem or just something normal.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

dustinjorge

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
Did the instal a few days ago. What a difference. Have a set of Monroe reflex on the back the only thing is now there is alot of creeking if I push on the bumper. Any thoughts if that gonna be a problem or just something normal.

Thanks

Mine does this, the mattress creaking I get comes from the front spring bushings just in front of the rear tires. I've found this to work the best to stop it as it goes on like wd-40, then turns to grease:

https://www.google.com/search?q=liquid+wrench+chain+lube

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Anyone know if the Warrior 153 shackles fit a Ranger? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
JamminG4Jim Warrior 153 Shackles and Pinion angle Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
H Do you have warrior 153's? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
rhyno Just installed Warrior 153, didnt do much Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
E Trying to install warrior spring shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 11
MidnightRebel07 I'm buying used Warrior Products lift shackles, no bolts. What size are the bolts? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
L Are Warrior Shackles still the choice of most on here? I'm looking to get a set soon. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
J Wanted Warrior Shackle Info and other lift questions Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
Y Warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
N Quick question regarding Warrior Shackle & TT Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
D Warrior shackle lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
G Where can I find warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
A shackles-other than warrior Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 15
3 Warrior shackles and TT? I'm new to this!!! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
A Warrior shackle length Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
N Warrior Sway Bar Disconnects Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
2 TT and Warrior Shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 22
S Warrior Shackle Install - Before and after pics Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
S Does anyone have pics of Warrior shackles from behind? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
D Cheap warrior 153s? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
9 pic of warrior shackles installed on 2nd gen? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
T warrior shackel and hidden hitch ? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
E Help ! Spec. Warrior Shakles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 14
C warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
I Warrior Shock Mounts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
C Warrior Shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 14
B A warrior shackle question Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
I Warrior Shackles...Where to buy? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
B Ordered Warrior Shackles will i have to get rid of my Rancho5000 Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
B URGENT QUESTION ON WARRIOR SHACKLES........ Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
9 warrior shackels instal ? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
9 will my warrior shackles fit Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
G Busted warrior u-bolt skid plate - how do i fix it? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
H Question about warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
L Tellico has an overstock on Warrior Shackles. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 22
T AAL and Warrior Installation Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
B JD Shock and Warrior Shackle Questions Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
B warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
M Warrior Shackles question..... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
W Are the Warrior shackles on 1.25" lift? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
W What is the part number for the warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
Kirby N. Opinions on Warrior Quick Discos Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
M Torsion twist and warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
B Shortening warrior shackles... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
E warrior shackles/tt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
W warrior quick disconnect noise problem? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
B Front B bars lift to warrior lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
S Ballpark Warrior Shackle price? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
L Torson Twist, Warrior Shackles and leaf bundles, a Fresh Look Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 20
F Where to find Warrior Shackels on Net or Denver Area...Helpmae Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8