Warrior Shackle Install - Before and after pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warrior Shackle Install - Before and after pics

spta97

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 AWD
I installed my Warrior shackles today, here's what the difference was (sorry about the first pic - my lense fogged up due to the humidity:

Before:
260322_66_full.jpg

After:
260322_67_full.jpg

Before (sloped up driveway):
260322_68_full.jpg

After (sloped up driveway):
260322_69_full.jpg

Before (sloped down driveway):
260322_71_full.jpg

After (sloped down driveway):
260322_72_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few things about the install on my 2000 AWD 5.0 XLT:

1) Stock bolts were 21mm - Warrior bolts were 7/8" (big sizes - you may not have them in your set.

2) The spare tire had to be lowered in order to get the top bolts out.

3) The Warrior had "lock nuts". They are not the typical type with a nylon bushing, but rather had the nuts compressed so they were slightly oval in shape - this would only allow me to thread them by hand 1/2 turn. After calling Desert Rat they informed me to just tighten them down. I reached 30 ft/lbs on my torque wrench way before I got them down so I took out a level as a strait edge to make sure I did not compress the "H".

4) I pulled down the leaf while my friend did the bolt - others have stated a bottle jack between the frame and the leaf but this way worked out. I almost did a chin up on it (and I'm 200lbs or so).

The ride:

As stated in other posts, the ride was unchanged. However, I felt like I was no longer driving up hill everywhere I went! Almost like my posture had gotten better :) I may have to adjust my seat.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the silver bolts stick out a litte to much for my taste:

260322_73_full.jpg

Not sure if they will rust like the rest of my undercarriage :rolleyes:

Looks good. What size tires are those? Are they Revos?

Lee

255-70-16 - and yes, they are Revos. That is the stock replacment size for my truck, the stock tires sucked as soon as I got it (26,000 miles). I am happy with the Revos, but I think I perhaps should have installed them with the black wall facing out. Newer trucks seem to do that for a cleaner look.

Bring the tortion bars up just a hair. Don't even it completely out but bring the front up some

I haven't measured, but it does sit pretty even. Almost every where I park the road seems to slope up so it has a really nice stance now.

If I did want to mess with the front, how would I "bring up the tortion bars?"

I just picked up a set of 235/75/15 (stock size for my 98 XLT) Revos. I prefer the look of the outside white lettering but my X is black and I like the contrast of the OWL to all the black. Your tires are an inch+ taller than mine and they fill in the wheel wells nicely with the warrior shackles. Good job.

Lee

Back