Washer fluid pump for the front does not work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Washer fluid pump for the front does not work

llamaking122

Reaction score
City, State
Worthington, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer V8
2000 merc mountaineer
So i replaced the pump because i needed the filter. It didnt work before and it still doesnt work. If i use the lever to try and spray the front no water comes out and I dont hear the pump running. but it i hit the rear sprayer i can hear it running. Would this mean that the wiring for the front one is broken? I am under the assumption they run off the same pump so could i just switch the hoses my back wiper doesnt work so i dont need it to spray the rear anyways

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to see if the container came apart. The WWF has 2 parts to the container. If it goes through the top, the fluid will pour right into the dirt. If not, yes, grab a wiring diagram and dig in.

I am under the assumption they run off the same pump so could i just switch the hoses. my back wiper doesnt work so i dont need it to spray the rear anyways.
id say that is an excellent why to fix it, yes :)

Thanks. Its too cold for me to fix these litttle things.. maybe in spirng LOL

Could also be that they hoses are stopped up and it is pumping do you hear it trying when you push the wash button? if so you're hoses or the little holes infront of windshield have dirt/debris in them.

2000 merc mountaineer
I am under the assumption they run off the same pump so could i just switch the hoses my back wiper doesnt work so i dont need it to spray the rear anyways

No one really answered this part. On my 96 rear wiper works as well as the fluid but the front does not. When I push the button on the turn signal for wash or mist wipe nothing happens, no fluid and no wipe, but when I turn the wipers on they work themselves. Anyone got something I should check. I have several little issues that bother me and working on them one by one.

Sorry if I jacked your thread

Cruiser

Just FYI, your front washer and rear washer have different tanks, and different pumps. I would have to look at the wiring schematic again, but i believe they have different relays as well.

Your rear washer pump is in the cargo compartment, under left side quarter glass behind the plastic... Your front pump is on the bottom of the washer fluid bottle, pass side engine compartment. Keep in mind the pump is tiny, like a cylinder 2 inches across by 4 inches tall... they are molded into the fluid tanks.

llamaking122, It sounds like your pump is out, shouldn't be too hard to replace. It is a simple 2 wire power ground going to it, pull the bottle and hot-wire the pump to see if it works. if it doesnt, the pump is bad. If it works, start looking for wiring issues...

Cruiser64, willing to bet your multi-function switch is bad/dirty. Do a search for how to clean it, or bite the bullet and buy one from rockauto for 25ish bucks, totally worth it... I had the same issue with mine...

Try applying some moderate "slaps" directly into the multifunction switch as to activate the pump. The pump contact in the MFS oxidizes because it is not used often. Works for me!

Check for voltage at the pump while the switch is depressed before replacing it.

Try applying some moderate "slaps" directly into the multifunction switch as to activate the pump. The pump contact in the MFS oxidizes because it is not used often. Works for me!

:salute::salute: 96EB I will have to admit when I read that you thought slapping the end of the switch would fix it I thought you were out of your mind but low and behold it worked and I thank you, you saved me the cost of a new switch. I do a lot of reading from this site and have learned so much thanks to guys like yourself.

Cruiser

To the OP, there are also 2 relays mounted inside the passenger's side frame rail towards the front of the engine compartment that control the wipers/washers. If one of these fails it will cause your problem. I used to wheel an '01 and I submerged the relays and had to replace them to make my washers work again.

Back