Water in engine

kmac59

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hi all,

I just posted a thank you on another thread for the good info to dry out my engine. Pulled into driveway with the start of Hurricane Harvey, dip at drive and water came over hood. Got into garage and truck stalled. There was a thread here that helped me and I spent the storm drying out my engine.

About 3 days ago, put all back together and truck started right up. No water in oil or transmission or inside vehicle. Been driving around all good till last night, out and about, go to start and sounds like out of gas.

This am, I put a new MAF Sensor which did not help... Had filled up with about 1/3 tank few days ago. Not sure if I got bad gas or maybe something else electrical is issue.

Any ideas? Was cranking and run good up till last night. Again, sounds like it's out of gas but have full tank.

Thanks all!

Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chances are i that you got water in your gas.

Almost all gas stations have underground storage tanks. Since everything flooded that tank at the station has water in the bottom from their fill connection leaking. Gas and water are not miscible and water being heavier will settle to the bottom.

Personally, I would find a way to disconnect your fuel line from the fuel rail.

Put a clear container under the incoming fuel line and cycle the key a few times.

Let the collected sample sit for and hour, any water should settle to the bottom of the container.

I went through the same thing after Katrina.

Been there, done that and got the hat and T-Shirt to go with it!

"Katrina! = The Billion Dollar ********!"

Any reputable gas station knows whether they have water. Most use a Veeder-Root monitoring system.. sensor both in the inner wall and outer wall of the tank. I know how much is in my tank down to the hundreth of an inch. And the pick up line is 18" above the bottom of the tank so if it is sucking water, there is a ton in their tank and they should know it is there.

True.

But if they just dropped a load of gas everything gets stirred up.

He may have gotten his tank just after they dropped?

I'm just guessing with it sounding like it is out of gas. Bought the gas at Sam's.

You could give it a short pop of starting fluid.

If it lights off and dies, pretty sure you got a load of water.

Have you checked for spark?

Going to spark test and try some starting fluids this AM... Thanks guys, been reading more and more on this.

Keep us posted.

Don't go crazy with the starting fluid, it's hard on the motor. I'd consider purging some of the bottom of the tank, and adding some Dri-gas

Don't go crazy with the starting fluid, it's hard on the motor.

You may want to pull the plugs first and dry them off, or see if the electrodes are wet, before you try the starting fluid. Just a short burst to see if the engine tries to start.

If the plug tips are wet than you may have taken some water in your fuel.

Great point about pulling the plugs. Might be worth piling a few of the easier ones.

Just did the starting fluid... It will run fine with quick sprays.. Idles nice. Try to give it gas and it stalls. Try to start again, it tries to catch but once the starting fluid is gone.. Won't start.

Pulled 3 spark plugs... Dry.

Where would I work backwards from here.

Dang I wish this thing was in my garage and not on a 2nd level parking garage!

You're not getting fuel it seems. Do you have a compressor? Start pulling connections one at a time and blowing out. Might be worth purging some gas, too.

Just did the starting fluid... It will run fine with quick sprays.. Idles nice. Try to give it gas and it stalls. Try to start again, it tries to catch but once the starting fluid is gone.. Won't start.
How long did you let it idle? Perhaps if you leave it running for a while and let the engine warm up it may dry out some of the components that are contributing to the issue. Just a guess.

Peter

I'd only idle it if it will do it on its own, off the spray.

If it was me, I'd have it towed to the dealer and file with your insurance. Let the dealer figure it out before more damage is caused.

How long did you let it idle? Perhaps if you leave it running for a while and let the engine warm up it may dry out some of the components that are contributing to the issue. Just a guess.

Peter
Hey Peter... no way to let it idle, once the starter fluid is gone, it dies.

I'm thinking it is definitely fuel related. Wondering if maybe a relay that could have got wet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was me, I'd have it towed to the dealer and file with your insurance. Let the dealer figure it out before more damage is caused.

That's what I will do tomorrow once places are opened up. But in the interim, If I can trouble shoot and possible find a part that needs replacing or a connector that is wet or disconnected... I'm hoping.

Back