What 6" drop pitman arm use....Skyjacker not fitting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What 6" drop pitman arm use....Skyjacker not fitting

TrackAire

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
We're in the process of fitting a 5.5" Duff lift kit on my 1993 Explorer. The kit comes with a 4" drop pitman arm, but everything I've researched says go 6" to keep the tie rods in phase with the beams. The part I ordered is Skyjacker FA600....which Skyjacker lists for the Ranger, Bronco II and Explorer besides a bunch of other full size Ford trucks. The blind keys are not close to what we need....and the spline hole diameters and tie rod tapered ends are different. I'm assuming the unit Duff supplies with the kit is Skyjacker part FA400 (I'm calling Duff in the morning to confirm). Those blind keys are completely different than that FA600 (although both list the same vehicle fitment).

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong here? I've checked two separate FA600 drop pitman arms and they are identical....my mechanic says they will not fit. Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Have you compared it to the 4” drop part that came with the kit? Will the 4” one fit? You could run that for the time being, or longer. I’ve run a too short pitman for 24 years with no issue other than bump steer, and you can get used to that. ;)
They’ve been selling that part for decades, it must fit the intended vehicles. Any chance your truck has a non stock steering gearbox? Swapping in a correct gearbox would be a pretty easy solution...

Have you compared it to the 4” drop part that came with the kit? Will the 4” one fit? You could run that for the time being, or longer. I’ve run a too short pitman for 24 years with no issue other than bump steer, and you can get used to that. ;)
They’ve been selling that part for decades, it must fit the intended vehicles. Any chance your truck has a non stock steering gearbox? Swapping in a correct gearbox would be a pretty easy solution...
We got a call back from Skyjacker today....although we ordered the right part and the box they came in are labeled correctly, the part is incorrect and after sending them pics and measurements it was found that the two FA600's were actually FA699 which is for the 99 to 2004 Super Duty chassis. Skyjacker is sending out a new unit today that I'm having overnighted that they confirm is the FA600 (fingers crossed).

Somebody packaged a run of arms wrong at Skyjacker....who knows how many are mis-labeled.

Back