What did you do this weekend? Participation required | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Wanted to take this back to the top as I like this thread. I have been busy working on Fords, just not my ST's as they are doing pretty good at this point. Back in the summer I bought a wrecked 04 Explorer and a 03 Expedition. Both needed work and I have been getting them fixed back up. I am posting when I got them and current pictures. I have done a lot of painting to the trim on these, I need to redo my red ST soon, been almost 3 years since I did it.

Attachments

• 0818151936a.jpg
    0818151936a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20160116_180038300.jpg
    IMG_20160116_180038300.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 0919151118.jpg
    0919151118.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 1128151711.jpg
    1128151711.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 301

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried the reset procedure for the rear window but keep having it fail for some reason. It was <-10oF in my area of the world so I wasn't trying to play with much.

I got the passenger side window glued today, and plan on enjoying a cigarette without the sunroof open next week :D

I loaded up about a half face cord of fairly green fire wood and delivered it about an hour away. the bed extender sure worked nice. I figure it weighed about 800lbs. the ST handled it well.. could definitely tell it was feeling the weight. but the ride remained about the same as empty, which was nice.

I dropped the fuel tank in my '01 Eddie B. and removed the intermittently functioning fuel pump. Also replaced the battery under the pro-rated warranty Then I pulled the cam sensor off my daughter's '00 Mountaineer 5.0L to oil the chirping synchronizer which I'm hoping to put off changing until spring.

Fixed the mirror lights on my 350 once again. There's chafed wires inside that keep blowing a fuse if I drive on real bad roads (common in SC) but everything is sealed, so I can't really fix the problem for good.

The Trac keep getting a vibration at 60mph+ which is quite annoying considering it has always been good on the highway even after the SAS. I ended up getting a cheap hydraulic bottle jack to make life easier compared to the OEM jacks. I get tired of cranking that S.O.B... Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to out of balance tires. Its been a good 5 years and 20 or 30k miles since last time they were balanced since all I can do without a shop is rotate them. Maybe next weekend I can get it in for a balance.

Hoping to order a full set of chromes tomorrow and get them in in time to install this weekend and get 4wd back after losing it to a messed up axle shaft ear in November.

I tend to carry too much stuff in my truck - mostly tools for the spur of the moment trips to the salvage yard, and softball gear in the summer - and things tend to get jumbled up. I had the idea to build a high shelf for lightweight items, but recently decided to build a HD shelf that just clears my toolboxes and other stuff that stays in the truck most of the time.

101_2432 (800x450).jpg

I came across a bed frame with longer legs than most for $3 and decided that would be less bulky than building a wood frame. Had to shorten it, of course and cut the legs to the height I wanted. If I need more height, I can take the plywood out, remove 1 bolt, and fold the rear cross support along the sides of the bed. When I know I'll be putting a lot of weight on the shelf I intend to put a plywood support under the middle of the shelf, front to back.

Probably wouldn't use a bed frame again as they are very difficult to drill through - only cobalt bits will cut through, and even those don't last long - but I knew that going into this. Being able to fold that rear crossbar out of the way without bulky hardware was the real selling point of using the bed frame. The plywood is 2 pieces. I cut the front plywood 21" deep and the rear 24". Three narrower sections would be easier to get in and out. Anyway, it should prove useful.

I tend to carry too much stuff in my truck

Don't we all haha.

That's a really smart idea for storage, and aside from making the entire thing out of angle iron (which is basically what abed frame is anyway), I don't think you'd be able to build any frame that light but also strong.

That light, that strong, and without bulk.

Chromos going in tomorrow!! Finally getting 4wd back after breaking an axle shaft in November. Also going to get my tires balanced. Hoping to get rid of this annoying vibration at higher speeds.

Oiled the cam synchronizer in my daughter's '00 Mountaineer 5.0L to temporarily stop it from chirping. 3 days now and still quite.

Changed the fuel pump in my '01 Eddie B. 5.0L and replaced the battery under warrantee. Now I can drive it again w/out worrying about whether it will leave me stuck somewhere.

Found an almost new set of 235/75/15 Michelin LTX tires on OE chrome wheels (on CL) five mins from my house. Seller wanted $250 for tires and wheels. I didn't want the wheels and convinced him to sell me just the tires for $150... Score!

Tires

Put on New 265 70 15 General Grabber At2 tires on black steel rims from my old Police interceptor with Black dish center caps. LOOKS AWESOME

Attachments

• sploder.jpg
    sploder.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 214
  • sploder2.jpg
    sploder2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 233

Replaced the alternator at 130K, 11 years old. It died suddenly on the commute home from work, but still was able to drive 45 minutes and the truck died one road from home, and I drifted all the way to the driveway.

Gave her a bath this afternoon.

AD8A59A8-BB2A-4977-91D9-85A3EFDC335B_zpsicjjxezt.jpg

CE2CB88E-5A71-4024-A517-890DD79F983D_zpsofy0858a.jpg

Retired the Sport Trac to utility/toy status Saturday. Bought a '14 Fusion for a daily driver.

Time for the tons!!

Ha! I wish. New priorities keep popping up. Second son on the way in April. New big boy job. Finishing off the remaining but dwindling debt we have. Those tons are stored safely though.

Ha! I wish. New priorities keep popping up. Second son on the way in April. New big boy job. Finishing off the remaining but dwindling debt we have. Those tons are stored safely though.

Congrats on your second son and the new job! We need to meet up and go wheelin again sometime.

Congrats on your second son and the new job! We need to meet up and go wheelin again sometime.

Thanks. I agree. Luckily I finally have weekends off and having a salaried nanny makes it even easier. Let me know when you know of a trip. I need to get back out there.

Retired the Sport Trac to utility/toy status Saturday. Bought a '14 Fusion for a daily driver.

:thumbsup: Sounds great.

I like the Fusions, enjoy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I agree. Luckily I finally have weekends off and having a salaried nanny makes it even easier. Let me know when you know of a trip. I need to get back out there.

I'm realizing having weekends off and a steady paycheck are some of the best things about bein out of school and working full time. I'll definitely let you know next time I venture out. I'm hoping to get a ride or 2 in before this summer. I'm waiting on a buddy to finish up his TJ build (started with just a tub) and then we're hopefully heading to wind rock or Harlan sometime mid-late summer.

Back