What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Well not today but over this week I have done a lot. I replaces the fan clutch with an USA made one from autozone, thought that was cool. I changed the oil filter not the oil and man there were some rust pieces collected at the top of the filter. My explorer had set for a few years about two or three. I had changed the filter and oil about a thousand miles ago when I first got it. The previous owner wanted to take care of it but he seemed busy. It was his Grandpas truck and he was wanting to see it put back on the road. I had a feeling especially because I hear about sludge build up that it might appreciate a fresh filter. Also I am learning that sitting fluids dont seem to stay fresh. Did the filter yesterday and ended up finding out I dont have back brake right now. I put to new front calipers on and to new brake hoses for the calipers. When I got to the point of bleeding the old fluid out of the rear I was unable to pump any fluid out of the bleeders. I also did the zip tie throttle cable boost and a fuel filter. The filter wasnt to clogged up but it was holding back some garbage. Not suprising and I have been running out of gas a couple times lately. A lot of stuff I believe might still be original. I think I have 248,000 miles on the SUV. The grandpa and original owner took it in for regular service. It has a Ford owners manual that shows it being serviced a lot. Seen that it was being taking in at least to 150,000. The fuel filter I pulled off was Motorcraft and the clutch fan was Ford. I know the filter was probably changed years ago at a Ford dealership or someone might have bought it from a karts store? It was rain last night and I sure was enjoying driving with the sunset. I am glad I put some duralast wiper blades on to the other week.
"Also I am learning that sitting fluids dont seem to stay fresh." The other day I brought my 98 XLT to a body shop that's going to replace the rusted line from the trans to the aux. cooler. Thinking about asking them to change the trans filter, I'd like to see what that looks like. Have replaced 3 quarts fluid that leaked out. Hoping this will be good for the trans. for a while. The Ex sat about a year at the previous owner's location. ( I bought it in mid March '21) Hoping to change the oil and filter myself, soon. And diagnose/fix the sending wire cause the coolant heat gauge sits at cold always. BUT I have to actually FIND the sending unit first, can't find it! 4L SOHC if that matters. Then it's replacing the one rusted rocker panel, found a relative that works on cars and can weld. He's doing the same repair on a GMC this summer. Then the only thing this summer, is putting Fluid Film inside the door panels and all over the frame parts. Future suspension work coming up, not critical now. Learning curve for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey sucks that your trans cooler lines are rusting. I have a Haynes manual and It says your engine temp sensor is under neath the intake. Sounds like a pain to get to. I got my sensor replaced but on mine is probably different then yours. Mine is a 1991 which is similar I guess to 95. Theres a lot of useful info on this Forum. I had a 2000 Mountaineer that was pretty cool. It was purple.Its kinda funny I got the temp sender working and now I got a new radiator ordered ha ha.

16211972690784497849735910845023.jpg

Thanks much for the info. Will check the library for the Hanes manual info tomorrow. Hoping the 'intake manifold' is the air intake thing (plastic)- and not the engine manifold (metal I presume). First ever truck/suv for me.

I washed my EB 4D Explorer last night along with some other vehicles. Now its raining on it. It hasn't rained here in two weeks... Bummer. I did get it out and put some miles on this particular one for the first time in three years. I'm reminded how sloppy the shift tower bushing is for the 5 speed. I noticed the "old car" smell slightly while working with it. So it must be official, these are "antiques" now.

I need to get the Limited out and do the same with it, clean it up and run it. It's gonna need an EGR valve and tube. The valve cracked. I've been working in the garage the last couple weekends trying to finish a shop space. I'm hoping to have it done in the next couple weeks. If so, I'll have a lot to add to this thread! I noticed a somewhat related, interesting photo OP while moving things around and am sharing it here. Please forgive the mess!

It's amazing the difference 72 years in automotive technology makes. For comparison, the Model T makes 20 HP from a 2.9 liter, 4 cyl. The explorer makes about 160 HP from 4.0 liters. Now they get 300 HP out of 4 cyl turbos today, with less than 2.0 liters. Benz has a 2.0 turbo rated at 416 HP for the 2022 C class AMG. That's just unbelievable.

IMG_20210515_174105438_HDR.jpg

Going to be going through the forum off/on today since I managed to limp into work with a very rough Idle. Started happening as I got closer to work. Did smell oil off/on but oil is clean and full and so's the coolant (perfect clean green) so that's a good sign.

Idle jumping - based on the tach - between 300 and 550 RPM, with the voltage gauge going crazy at idle, though it smooths back out periodically. Might try computer reset first, then looks like it's time to pull codes, check some wires, test the alternator. Not exactly the worst time since I am planning to do a full tune-up soon anyway.

It was a bit of an ordeal, but I finally got my 94 sport running again. Initial problem was it wouldn't go into gear, so I figured clutch problem.

Over 3 separate orders I replaced the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing, slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch fluid reservoir, all the associated hydraulic lines, shift kit and shift knob.

Between waiting on shipping(x3), waiting for the weekend to work on it, and general procrastinating, it was down for over two months!

I learned a lot about the explorer, the clutch system, and maintenance in general though so I'm glad I did it, plus the shifter feels soooooo much better than before

20210417_162822.jpg

20210428_175637.jpg

20210530_110507.jpg

20210603_161932.jpg

20210603_154804.jpg

The eight ball shifter knob... I had one of those in my first explorer back in 02. I guess it's still around here somewhere. Awesome!

Going to be going through the forum off/on today since I managed to limp into work with a very rough Idle. Started happening as I got closer to work. Did smell oil off/on but oil is clean and full and so's the coolant (perfect clean green) so that's a good sign.

Idle jumping - based on the tach - between 300 and 550 RPM, with the voltage gauge going crazy at idle, though it smooths back out periodically. Might try computer reset first, then looks like it's time to pull codes, check some wires, test the alternator. Not exactly the worst time since I am planning to do a full tune-up soon anyway.
I'll tell you what I did to MY explorer today...Locked the damn keys in it! And punching in the key code on the panel didn't help. Key is in the ignition. AARGH

I'll tell you what I did to MY explorer today...Locked the damn keys in it! And punching in the key code on the panel didn't help. Key is in the ignition. AARGH
Wow that's unfortunate! A brick is a universal key...

Wow that's unfortunate! A brick is a universal key...
But a replacement window if I could find one, is more expensive than the locksmith I called....Don't know WHY the key pad code did NOT unlock it. It has before, why not now.

But a replacement window if I could find one, is more expensive than the locksmith I called....Don't know WHY the key pad code did NOT unlock it. It has before, why not now.
Good question. I've not had the opportunity to ever mess with those so I really don't know how they work. I assume you have a second gen or newer? I've not seen a first gen with that feature. You might want to reset the system and setup your code again.

Side note.. 3 AM, 60 miles from home, fight between now ex wife and her sister, keys locked in truck somehow in the heat of a car repo... Vent window sacrificed with a karate chop to gain access. It was a really bad night. I learned it was probably better to use a rock or brick, but the bleeding stopped within a few minutes anyway and it's hard to weigh options when someone is yelling "shotgun"!!

The wife let her sister borrow the car and things fell apart between them. Little did I know just how crappy things were to get that night. It really seems like a far fetched story now, but it was a night I wish to never relive. That was just the start of it too. Later on involved a mental breakdown on her part, a corn field, unloading and loading the car two more times and the beginning of the end of our marriage.

Good question. I've not had the opportunity to ever mess with those so I really don't know how they work. I assume you have a second gen or newer? I've not seen a first gen with that feature. You might want to reset the system and setup your code again.

Side note.. 3 AM, 60 miles from home, fight between now ex wife and her sister, keys locked in truck somehow in the heat of a car repo... Vent window sacrificed with a karate chop to gain access. It was a really bad night. I learned it was probably better to use a rock or brick, but the bleeding stopped within a few minutes anyway and it's hard to weigh options when someone is yelling "shotgun"!!

The wife let her sister borrow the car and things fell apart between them. Little did I know just how crappy things were to get that night. It really seems like a far fetched story now, but it was a night I wish to never relive. That was just the start of it too. Later on involved a mental breakdown on her part, a corn field, unloading and loading the car two more times and the beginning of the end of our marriage.
Found out why....battery was dead, ignition key had been left on "ON"!! Key code probably would have worked, with a charged battery. Serious brain fart on my part - I'd gone out to roll the windows up as it was starting to rain, never noticed I left the key in and on! Yep it's a 2nd gen. Murphy's Law strikes again, LOL. Glad I didn't have the time you did, in your 'side note'!!! I guess my Explorer remains hard to steal, assuming thieves are after my '98!

Found out why....battery was dead, ignition key had been left on "ON"!! Key code probably would have worked, with a charged battery. Serious brain fart on my part - I'd gone out to roll the windows up as it was starting to rain, never noticed I left the key in and on! Yep it's a 2nd gen. Murphy's Law strikes again, LOL. Glad I didn't have the time you did, in your 'side note'!!! I guess my Explorer remains hard to steal, assuming thieves are after my '98!
That's funny. I had a similar brain fart a few months ago. I moved my 94 Limited to gain access to some other stuff. It had not been run in several months. It was a little slow to start so I left it to idle and charge the battery. I went in, had dinner, a beer, and watched a little TV. It got dark and I got tired. I woke up at 5AM suddenly realizing what I had done. I went out to find the Explorer had gobbled up that last 1/8 tank of fuel and quit running. At least the battery was nice and charged! A couple gallons of gas had her puttering nicely and ready to go.

Glad your truck hasn't suffered any permanent damage. It makes you wonder just how long it lasted before the voltage was low enough for nothing to work.

just how long it lasted before the voltage was low enough for nothing to work.
A day and a half. Quite new but small battery, 550 CCA.

FYI, the keyless entry pad does not work when the ignition is turned on, nor does the key fob. I wish there was a work around for that.

FYI, the keyless entry pad does not work when the ignition is turned on, nor does the key fob. I wish there was a work around for that.
Good info to have. I would not have thought it would work that way.

Well, had mine towed to a shop yesterday because the tow company won't tow to apartments. Seems the shop tried diagnosing it and says they can't figure out OBD-1 and suggested a "local shop" - weird since they said "Lean Codes" and my wife thought they meant "Lien Codes"....this is going to be fun...

So, my wife used to work with code compliance. She got freaked out by the guy on the phone because she thought he was talking about the city towing my truck as a disabled vehicle. She did not know he was referring to the OBD-1 codes for a lean condition, and he said it had a bunch of them. However....back onto the truck....I also find it a bit wacky they say they don't know OBD-1 yet said it threw a bunch of "Lean Codes"....that's funny. That and the fact they say it was running lean when I have very rough low idle, a smell of gas.

Rest of what they said: Fuel Pressure is good and at spec, otherwise they can't figure out what's wrong with it - BUT - the most vital hint is it WILL run and drive if the MAF is disconnected.

So it's coming home tomorrow, likely under it's own power with the MAF disconnected, and then I can diagnose it and figure out what's up. TBH, if the fuel system is working right that's a big relief because I'd rather diagnose the air intake stuff to build my skills. Already cleaned the MAF months ago with MAF cleaner, it's the original one from 1992...maybe it's finally gone. Some people have had theirs replaced on here 2-3 times I'm sure.

On a more exciting note, my wife and I simultaniously had an idea of getting a third vehicle and might be thinking of getting an older Ranger or Tacoma (small one - my ideal, shortbed regular cab). What's funny is I was thinking of this too - maybe have that one be the 4x4 since I'm keeping the X sort of half-street/half-desert roaming daily driver with some plans to restore it. I'm leaning more towards a 2.3L or 4x4 Ranger. So I might look at that some tonight as well.....not now, but sometime in the future.

It was a bit of an ordeal, but I finally got my 94 sport running again. Initial problem was it wouldn't go into gear, so I figured clutch problem.

Over 3 separate orders I replaced the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate
Nice pictures apoctank. I am eventually going to do some more work to my tranny. I might take a glob of silicone to cover up the problematic rubber plugs. Anyway nice progress and cheers to the 5 speeds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully a second key would work. Gotta get one anyway, should have already.

Back