• 5.0L V8

Votes: 187 50.0%
  • Diesel (Dreaming)

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 46 12.3%

• Total voters
a tauras SHO is FWD so the engine would be sideways

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But the block is the 3.0, the same out of an Aerostar, which wasn't transverse mount, so with some custom fab brackets it will work. The picture in the link above shows it mounted in a rwd car. With enough work/money, anything is possible.

Matt is he really gonna do it? And how much is it gonna cost you.

He said he was really interested in doing it, as for the cost, we havn't figured it out yet, but I'm hoping for it to be between 4-6 grand depending on which routes I go. If I do it, I wanna do it all the right way. Like a Tremec 5 or 6 speed instead of a WC T5, new t3 turbos instead of rebuilt or used turbos and a rebuilt 3.0. But right now I'm stashing the cash and putting off all the other upgrades I wanted to do so in a few months I can either fully commit to it or decide on something else. I havn't seen the above motor run yet, so once they finish up that project and get it dynoed I'll have a better idea I want to go though with it.

302 would be good enough for my x

I edited the poll because I wanted to vote for the dream diesel. I also saw that people had listed other engines they would want so I added an other category.

DIESEL! DIESEL! DIESEL!

I'll take the OHV 4.0L in my BII anyday. It;s a perfect suit, of course my BII doesnt weigh as much as a 4dr Ex, I know these things are a little "doggy" to say the least, but the OHV is perfect for towing a small boat (like mine) and for four wheeling with 33's (like mine).

Everybody "wants" a EFI 5.0L in their Ex, but unfortunatley it can cost a ton to get one in there and it takes ALOT of time and work, not always possible. After seeing what Joe Dietz went through I;ll stick with my OHV.

I really want to see a early 2wd sport get a 2.3L Turbo, I think that would make a sweet street truck!!! If I was gonna do the 2.3L t into something though I would do a 2wd Ranger, boost teh crapola out of it and surprise just about anything on the road with a 300+ HP Ranger, 4 banger. :)

Diesel would be nice, but they stink!!!!

BTW the 3.0L is a good engine, the Yahama SHO 3.0L can be mounted in just about anything because it was both FWD and RWD, they use these alot for buildig hot rods. I actually built the wiring harness for a freind in new Mexico who built himself (he;s a machinist) a monster of a 3.0L and put it in a 86 Bronco II, so it;s kinda been done before, just without the twin turbo's. Not runnning yet, I just sent the harness.......

there is also a Ranger that got a 3.8L SC motor from a Thunderbird, thats a great swap!!!! just a little smaller then a 5.0L but the SC makes ita tight fit. The 3.8L SC can be built into a monster as well.....

Originally posted by Char

DIESEL! DIESEL! DIESEL!

that's what i voted!

i would love to put a diesel in my x.

Originally posted by CAC91
I think I'd stick with the pushrod 4 liter between the given choices. How can you go wrong with the worst sounding engine in history? And by the way, what is a canfield headed engine? Perhaps someone means a Cleveland or Modified engine?

No I mean what I meant--an engine with Canfield cylinder heads. The Troll has them.

Of course, some of us who voted 302 did the 302 the easy way--bought a truck with a 302 already installed from the factory. :)

as long as were dreaming, i'll take the 347 turbo Troll said he would do for anyone here for around $8k. would be nice to have a motor DE-TUNED to about 700 hp on the crank... if im gonna go turbo, screw all that "3.0, 3.8 V6" crap. i wanna turbo V8! and as a side note from someone who is not a die-hard ford man, any 5.0 with headers and flowmasters has the greatest V8 sound on earth, bar-none. nothing sounds like it between 3500-6500 rpm's.

I want the new Cobra engine, but the aluminum block. The whole deal about not taking the power is BS, there are blown 99 cobras runnin 600horse on the aluminum block.

You cant argue with 360hp and 380ft lbs from that engine!!!! Filter, pulley and chip and youre talkin nearly extra ponies!!! 80% of peak torque available from nearly 2000rpms, can I get a "hell ya"?!?

I voted other. I want a 514 with a blower!! I know I know, you wont be able to fit in the engine bay, that is why I have a row of seats and a cargo aread. Just make it a mid mount and stick to blower though the roof. hehee i just would like to have an engine that turns out 600 hp w/o much of anything done to it. The blower would put it up around 800 or 850. I think it would move along alright :)

I believe that we forgot to include the 4.6L SOHC engine as an option. And who would ever want the push rod 4.0?

5.0 or 5.9 would be nice but its not an option here and why you would want a smelly no go smoky diesel is beyond me

id settle for a 5.0

This is a no-brainer- V-8 all the way, baby. The options to modify it far exceeds the V-6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any engine? Super charged 3800 from a Pontiac Bonneville, or any GM 3800 series II.

Last edited:

Back