what goes thud when you hit a bump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what goes thud when you hit a bump?

jboroxpo

Reaction score
City, State
jonesboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie
Ive recently ran into a problem. whenever i got over a speedbump or a bump in the road my front left side sounds like it hitting something. i just put new shocks on thinking that might solve the problem. ive been driving it and it still makes this thud sound. has anyone had this problem or think of what it might be? could my springs be bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Classic Radius Arm (RA) bushing - driver's side.... though it is usually trhe pass side that goes first because of the CAT....might NOT be that, but do some searches and research on here. Betcha that's what it is.

actually it was the right side that was making the noise

Ok now my diagnosis, on VERY limited info, is the right side RA bushing. Good luck

Could be a number of things. In my case I had a bad thump under the driver-side floor panel when I went over bumps-- that turned out to be radius arm bushings. When I replaced those bushings, the thump under the driver-side floor went away, but I started to notice a smaller clunk from the front driver side suspension, sometimes on bumps, sometimes on turns. That turned out to be a worn balljoint.

The RA bushings will make a thump right under the floor panel on the passenger or driver side or both (depending which RA bushing is worn).

Sway Bar Bushings

jboroxpo said:
Ive recently ran into a problem. whenever i got over a speedbump or a bump in the road my front left side sounds like it hitting something. i just put new shocks on thinking that might solve the problem. ive been driving it and it still makes this thud sound. has anyone had this problem or think of what it might be? could my springs be bad?
My X made that exact noise every time I went over a bump when I first got it. My noise sounded like it was coming from the right side. After replacing the bushings the sound went away.

gearz said:
BTW sway bar and radius arm are one in the same.

No....I don't think so. No, I know so. Completely different. I'm sure many members here can back that up also. Sway bar goes side to side....RA goes front to back.

Joey p. said:
No....I don't think so. No, I know so. Completely different. I'm sure many members here can back that up also. Sway bar goes side to side....RA goes front to back.

I'll back you on that Joey

Rob

jboroxpo said:

I guess I could try to help answer the question also. I'm going to say radius arm bushings. Common culprit on these vehicles if it has a clunking sound over speedbumps.

ok guys ive got under my ex and checked it out sure enough 3/4 of the bushing was gone, worn out. i appreciate the advice you guys gave.

Back