What I find funny about building your own box(AKA my worlog) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What I find funny about building your own box(AKA my worlog)

Alright, don't send a color blind guy to a fabric store to buy vinyl. So I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics yesterday, and was happy to find, what looked like to me, some black vinyl on sale. So I buy it, bring it home, and pull it out of my truck today. The second I got it out in the sunlight, I said woah. This looks green. So I take it in and show my brother, and sure enough it's green. So now I gotta go see if I can find some black vinyl. I think I'm gonna wait till my sister gets home so she can go with me.

But on a better note, I started sealing the inside of the boxes today. Bought some 3M Undersealant. I'll have pics up later when I'm done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vinyl??? EEEK!

I found my color (mocha) of bar stool vinyl in Colorado so I bought 15 yards of it, it was like $120 worth. I still use it once in a while for various interior projects!
Why do you want to cover the box in vinyl? Vinyl doesnt work well on boxes! Use carpet!!!

You only need polyfill if your enclosure is too small for the sub, like stated before it fools the speaker into thinking there is more airspace.
Lining 3 sides of the box inside will smooth out the woofer for less distortion in a square box, you can use the cheapo speaker cabinet fill they sell at Radio shack.

I am using vinyl also. It makes a better looking box IMHO. Now don't get me wrong, my whole box wont be vinyl, just some of it. I like the look of it if it matches well.
Just my 2 cents worth.

in my opinion you should always use a little polyfill no matter what

Nothing wrong with vinyl, dont get me wrong! It just seems that for a square box it would be difficult to use, and also it wants to slide around more!
I finally tied my box down with a tie down strap. My box is built to be as small as possible (1 cu ft sealed, single 2 ohm 12) and to be moved around. So I have lots of speaker wire, a quick disconnect for the wires, and handles on the side. I finally installed some Explorer cargo area hold downs in my BII, so dont kill myself in a roll over.

If you are going to use vinyl on a square box you might consider using a file to round the edges of the box (mdf) and you could also benefit from some thin foam backing behind the vinly, to help make it plush :)

I have an interesting idea on attaching the vinyl, it won't be the normal old routine. You'll just have to wait and see on that one. The complete box isn't just going to be a square sitting in my hatch. It'll be set up like in my third pic. I'm cutting the vinyl(black this time :p ) right now. I'll have some pics up later.

Well, I've done a lot of work the last couple of days. My amp is in the mail, should be here this weekend so I can have it finished next week. Here's some misc. pics.

This is what it looks like behind my rear panel. I moved 3 of my amps back there. I forgot to take a pic of all the amps mounted back there before I put the panel back on. I'm sure I'll be removing it again in the near future so hopefully I can get some pics then.

post-243-1081970091.gif

post-243-1081970124.gif

post-243-1081970161.gif

post-243-1081970187.gif

post-243-1081970219.gif

post-243-1081970253.gif

Just a pic to get the Vette in there! :cool:
post-243-1081970274.gif

post-243-1081970365.gif

post-243-1081970414.gif

Did you mean for the vinyl to come out like that?

Hartman said:
Did you mean for the vinyl to come out like that?

No, I didn't know how it would come out. I've never done anything like it. I know it's not show quality, or anything like the stuff you would do, but I'm happy with it. It's my first box, and I've learned a lot. I have nowhere to go but up in my future boxes.

i dont wanna show you guys how my first time with vinyl came out... yikes... but it was incredibly hard cause i decided to cover a regular rectangle box with it... ouch... that sucked

Vinyl can be tricky and ive learned the hard way, its best to just use speaker carpet. :) It doesnt look that bad and im sure the flash made it look worse than it actually is. Also next time, you may want to try and put a little cotton padding on before the vinyl. It helps to hide the imperfections in the wood.

i avoid vinyl when possible fo sho

just curious but did that vinyl have flannel backing?

Explorer94GV said:
just curious but did that vinyl have flannel backing?

100% cotton backing.

the only time i use vinyl is if 1) its a non standard shape 2) i have a spray gun with 3m adhesive and 3) if i have a heat gun handy.. so basically i only work with vinyl at work

I got my amp in Friday, and I had the night off, so what better time to install it? It took me about 3 hours to put in. That includes building the rack, most of which was the time it took to dry. I am so glad to finally have some bass after 3 months without it. I've still got some wire cleaning up to do, which you can see in the pics. Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out, and I learned a lot as well!

post-243-1083016801.jpg

post-243-1083016815.jpg

Just for comparison, here's my old setup. 100x better IMO.

251292_26_full.jpg

HEY! I told you the vinyl was a PITA! hahaha

I have a question, where in the WORLD did you get those rubber corner protector things you used on the boxes???

I have been looking to buy something exactly like that for some time! You know like they use on the corners of guitar amps and what not, I have never found anything to buy, and yet there they are on your box!

Also for a first box I think you did a HELL of a job. Nice! Now next time you will know what works and doesnt work.
Now to the real question: HOW DOES IT SOUND?

410Fortune said:
HEY! I told you the vinyl was a PITA! hahaha

I have a question, where in the WORLD did you get those rubber corner protector things you used on the boxes???

I have been looking to buy something exactly like that for some time! You know like they use on the corners of guitar amps and what not, I have never found anything to buy, and yet there they are on your box!

Also for a first box I think you did a HELL of a job. Nice! Now next time you will know what works and doesnt work.
Now to the real question: HOW DOES IT SOUND?

Crutchfield for the box corners. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-G1bYQH...?s=0&c=11&g=743&I=1251536&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y It's like $13 second day to your door.

Thanks for the compliments. It sounds awesome! I was worried how they were going to sound sealed, but man they rock. It's nice to have some bass finally. It's been like 3 months since I had my subs in there. I put people in my passenger seat, pop in some Linkin Park Meteora, and they get blown away! :p :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i made a box that i would like to show, how do i show it?

Back