What size of tyre can fit on my 98xlt ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size of tyre can fit on my 98xlt ...

vincekim9

Reaction score
City, State
PERTH, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Happy new yeay all members!

I want to economic and smooth tyres...
but not many choice in my town..lot of 235/75/16 and 265/70/16....
original is goodyear wrangler rt/s 255/70/16.....
I think can fit on 235/75/16 or 245/75/16 with my car...
anyone has fit 235/75/16?
please give me an idea for size and brand ....

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go 245/75R16LT or you might even be able to get 265/75R16LT’s on as for tyres I have Cooper AT’s (Old style not the new ATR’s) and have had 0 problems.

Thanka Aussie~

You again! Thanks..
I have order timing chain and tensioner from UK.. cheaper than here
i will replace myself soon....
See Ya!

Search and you can fit a 31x10.50 maby a 31x11.50

Aussie Explorer said:
I would go 245/75R16LT or you might even be able to get 265/75R16LT’s on as for tyres I have Cooper AT’s (Old style not the new ATR’s) and have had 0 problems.

Not to jump in here, but my Coopers that I have had on the Ex for two years now have been the best damn tire here for both Summer and Winters here in Maine. I feel very safe in them myself and espicaly since my wife, son and soon to be child all ride in it on a daily basis.

Very nice tires. I have OEM size and will get the same thing when these run low.

They would want to be, the parts cost’s around $360 from Ford over hear and what do the guys in the U.S pay for it like $50.

im abit worried about timing chain rattle... my explorer makes abit of engine rattle from near the dash when i get to about 50-60km/h. Its 5 year warranty is almost up and im worried. is it possible to get it checked or should i leave it... how do i find out for sure if it is the timming chain?
:rolleyes:

Humm.. Normally you will hear a rattle between 2500-3000RPM when under acceleration, also when you start it after it has been siting for a wile it may rattle, sometimes described as Dieseling, as it sounds a little like a diesel engine when it happens.

Get it looked at, A Ford dealership is probably the best to diagnose it.

Back