Whitey turns red build thread! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whitey turns red build thread!

Well, I figured this would be a good single source to document my next project. I've just finished a 10 month race truck build and finally got it out of my garage and parked on the side yard so I can start my exploder next!

So here's the info to make this whole project make a bit of sense...

I picked up this explorer, it's considered a '91.

100_0407.jpg

The catch with it though is it's a mutt... It's actually 4 expos pieced together to build something that runs. List of things wrong with it, no cruise control, no heater, no a/c, turn signals don't work, power windows sorta kinda sometimes work, power locks sorta kinda sometimes work, missing a lot of the smog stuff and won't pass smog here in Nevada, doesn't run right, engine/trans/t-case all leak oil, T-case motor doesn't work, and I'm sure there's some more. I bought it mostly for the parts on it.

What it does have... Cut and turned with 4.5" per side widened beams with uniball pivots, extended radius arms on heim joint pivots, plated and braced beam hangers, real beadlock wheels, full fiberglass front and rear, national leaf springs in the rear with some nice custom shackles, rear axle is a newer 8.8 with discs and 4.56 gears.

For conversation purposes, we'll call him "whitey"... Whitey is an auto trans and pushbutton (non working) T-case with manual hubs.

Now let me introduce you to "Red". Red is also a '91, only he's not been molested and abused and raped and pillaged of parts by multiple previous owners. Red is a 5 speed manual and manual transfercase from the factory! (I prefer manual and it took me over 5 months to find this...) EVERYTHING works on Red and works really really good! I have receipts from the previous owner of a ford crate motor installed by ford dealer with less then 20K on it. I also have receipts for a rebuilt 5 speed trans from the ford dealer with less the 15K on it. Red runs great!!! Only issues are inside, he's missing a center console, the headliner looks like it got in a fight with a lion and the dash is cracking.

Nice thing though, whitey's interior is in great shape and is the same color so it's just a matter of swapping out the parts!

Meet red...

3Ld3M33N25N75J75M9ccfe41e7926fb461e73_zps3f75ef4f.jpg

3E73Jf3N25K15H45Mbccf314eef2d0d4a10ec_zpsf4ff24d2.jpg

So the plan is to take all the fun suspension parts off of whitey and use them to build Red. Along the way I'm adding a few more custom touches and upgrades as well. Is this going to be some long drawn out never finished project? Heck no!!!! I have about 95% of the parts on hand for the entire build and I'm hoping for the entire build to take about 2 months total to finish EVERYTHING wanted with the only exceptions being a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.8 and a front winch. I'm not saying those won't be done in the next 2 months but they aren't a priority and I'm kinda just waiting for a deal I can't pass up type situation before pulling the trigger on one or both.

So, here's the parts I currently have in my possession slated to get put on Red.

• 12" king coilovers for front
  • cut and turned D35 beams, widened 4.5" per side, uniball pivots
  • Extended radius arms with heimed pivots
  • front 3rd memeber with 4.56 gears and powertrax no slip
  • custom machined axles for new wider track width, not cut and sleeved but new custom machined axles
  • 2" stroke hydro bumps for the front end to help for the occasional hard hit.
  • National spring leafs for the rear
  • custom shackles
  • 12" stroke king 3 tube bypass shocks
  • fiberwerx rear panels
  • newer ford 8.8 with discs, 4.56 gears
  • Detriot locker new in the box ready to install in the 8.8

Whitey has the 95+ conversion clip on it. While I like it, it's not what I want, so that whole clip is getting sold. Red will keep the classic front square body lines but I have a set of mcneil 6" fiberglass fenders currently on order. I should see them this week or next supposedly.

Also I'll be upgrading the steering and building a single side swing set steering for red to keep the bumpsteer hopefully somewhat minimal.

Now what am I building? Well, with the list of parts above you can tell it should be a fairly capable ride. My intent is to keep the interior 100% stock. No cage, no cutting, no craziness. Inside is going to get a mild stereo system and cleaned up. Because I'm not going to be tubbing the rear wheel wells tire size will be limited to what I can fit in them. I will be either on 33" or 35" tires mounted on champion beadlocks (different then the KMC beads that are currently on whitey).

My intent when finished is to have a clean fairly different somewhat head turning type daily driver ford explorer. I want a nice all purpose vehicle. Something I can cruise comfortably around town, hold a decent pace in the dirt, pull it into 4lo and go show my jeep friends what's up. It's not being built to haul butt or race around in. I actually own another vehicle that's MUCH more suited for that kind of stuff and actually is purpose built for that. I also am partners in an offroad race truck which this explorer will see chase duties for so why would I go out and jump this thing and beat it thru whoops when I own and have access to better tools for that job. It will be setup to handle the occasional hard hit though as you can tell.

So there's my novel!!! Following posts from here out will be mostly picture oriented to document the build and answer any questions people may have or what not so lets get started...

Khris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Khris, great build! I'm sorry I've been MIA. We just had a baby, work is awesomely bust as always, my Explorer is still in storage 1800 miles away. If you get a chance, weigh your truck. I'd be curious how much different it is from mine. We have similar tires, suspension etc, but mine has a cage and the interior is gutted.

We'll wheel when it cools down!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

No worries man, I've been jealous of all the boat pics I've spied on your facebook so... LOL

No worries man, I've been jealous of all the boat pics I've spied on your facebook so... LOL

Sadly, most pics are me sending off a customer to have fun, only a few lake days compared to a ton of office time for Dan.

Khris, someone asked me for photos of a rear 'glass install recently. Do you have any photos of the process?

Rick, check out posts # 22 & 23 in this thread. I can pull a panel off and get better pics but that's pretty much what I did.

Also, lost one of the blades off the fan yesterday which also took out my radiator shroud. Oh well, picking up a new fan on the way home today and will stitch the shroud back together with some safety wire...

Thanks Khris. Now I'll know where to point people to:chug:

Got the front axle shafts slid in monday evening. And then had about 45 minutes to kill yesterday afternoon so I started slangin some tubing at the rock sliders. The plan is basically what you see here with 2 spreader/support pieces in between equally spaced. Across the whole top of it I'll have a plate once it's done so it'll act as a step/running board kinda while at the same time hopefully giving myself a bit of body protection for the sheet metal/pinch seam/fiberglass rear fenders.

100_1897_zps3591d3da.jpg

Hoping to have the tube work 100% finished tomorrow night and then I'll knock out the plate work ASAP. My plasma cutter source is down for a week or two moving shops but once he's up and running again I'll get him to cut my plates and weld em up...

3 months 'til T-haven :D

Shoot, I've completely ignored that. I'll have to find the thread and dates and put it on my calendar. I've got 100% of my days off for the rest of 2013 planned right now with basically one remaining day floating around to use somewhere. Maybe that's the right spot to plug that day in!!!!

Popped it's cherry this weekend! Did pretty good for it's first time out. I wanted something a little bit on the mellow side trail wise to make sure it's good to go so of course I end up on a trail run with a local club to do what they mostly consider the hardest of all the local trails they ever run and we're gonna do it at night with a pretty gnarly thunderstorm surrounding the canyon we're running! What could be wrong with that for a first time ever on the trail with the 100% freshly built rig? LOL

Escaped damage free though!!! Rock sliders got proven for sure! I will say, the jeeps do have us expos beat in the rocker area between the wheel wells cause we for sure hang low! Only issues I have is in regards to my fiberglass fenders, they need trimmed for sure! I cycled the whole suspension front and rear with tires on checking clearances but in the real world with the weight of the rig involved, I didn't cut enough. No biggie, 15 minutes with the body saw and it'll be ready to rock.

Other then that, everything was a great success!!! I did end up getting winched up one waterfall but 2 out of the 4 jeeps on the trail with me go the line also so it wasn't just me. I had nothing to prove and being fresh and unfamiliar with the true capabilities of my rig I didn't want to push it. Had I been aired down lower I probably would've been fine to be honest.

All in all, a great time!!! No pictures cause it was dark but it's good to be back in the rocks again! I should be taking it on another trail run this sat on a bit more mellow of a trail and during the day so I'll make sure someone snaps some pics along the way.

I guess I lied, there was 2 pictures the other night. LOL

DevilsPeak2_zps13ee375a.jpg

DevilsPeak1_zps8d7ec100.jpg

Awesome! Congrats:chug:

Did you cut out your rockers and put your sliders up as high as you could? I didn't go that far, but the pinch weld is folded and the bars are tucked up as tightly as possible.

Mine are probably similar to yours. I just notched out the pinch weld and folded them over to run my attachment tubes thru each place.

This angle is a bit weird, it looks like there's a big gap on the one closest to the camera but I assure you it's tucked up into the pinch seam like you can see on the next one back.

I plated the frame where the middle two are welded to the frame, the front and rears were a bit interesting with other stuff in the same area so I just went straight to the frame with no plate work.

100_1642_zpscec2b38a.jpg

So far, between my old jeep TJ on 35's and this expo, that's about the biggest disadvantage. Jeeps definitely do have the edge on clearance outside the frame rails. My expo has them beat between the frame rails in ground clearance but they can put their tires over larger rocks without dragging the rockers.

Mine are probably similar to yours. I just notched out the pinch weld and folded them over to run my attachment tubes thru each place.

This angle is a bit weird, it looks like there's a big gap on the one closest to the camera but I assure you it's tucked up into the pinch seam like you can see on the next one back.

I plated the frame where the middle two are welded to the frame, the front and rears were a bit interesting with other stuff in the same area so I just went straight to the frame with no plate work.

100_1642_zpscec2b38a.jpg

Bring this out to truckhaven so I can copy it. :) I really need some sliders. Although I think I may need to cut out the rockers up to the doors as they are really dented from not having sliders.

~Mark

So far, between my old jeep TJ on 35's and this expo, that's about the biggest disadvantage. Jeeps definitely do have the edge on clearance outside the frame rails. My expo has them beat between the frame rails in ground clearance but they can put their tires over larger rocks without dragging the rockers.

As of right now I'm definitely planning on the Truckhaven trip for sure. The picture up above in post 107 isn't actually even current anymore. I tossed two short stubby little spreader type tubes equally spaced in between for support for mid rail rock hits. I'll be laying a plate across the whole top of them here in the next week or two so they'll double as a step/running board of sorts.

Oh shoot, are you actually bringing it out here finally?

Awesome pics! I want to see this rig airborne!

Art work here. Frame grab from dust to glory. My old original expo on the left with the yellow arrow pointing to it and me on the right with the horrible red arrow.

100_1929_zps6595a443.jpg

Back