Whitey turns red build thread! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whitey turns red build thread!

Well, I figured this would be a good single source to document my next project. I've just finished a 10 month race truck build and finally got it out of my garage and parked on the side yard so I can start my exploder next!

So here's the info to make this whole project make a bit of sense...

I picked up this explorer, it's considered a '91.

100_0407.jpg

The catch with it though is it's a mutt... It's actually 4 expos pieced together to build something that runs. List of things wrong with it, no cruise control, no heater, no a/c, turn signals don't work, power windows sorta kinda sometimes work, power locks sorta kinda sometimes work, missing a lot of the smog stuff and won't pass smog here in Nevada, doesn't run right, engine/trans/t-case all leak oil, T-case motor doesn't work, and I'm sure there's some more. I bought it mostly for the parts on it.

What it does have... Cut and turned with 4.5" per side widened beams with uniball pivots, extended radius arms on heim joint pivots, plated and braced beam hangers, real beadlock wheels, full fiberglass front and rear, national leaf springs in the rear with some nice custom shackles, rear axle is a newer 8.8 with discs and 4.56 gears.

For conversation purposes, we'll call him "whitey"... Whitey is an auto trans and pushbutton (non working) T-case with manual hubs.

Now let me introduce you to "Red". Red is also a '91, only he's not been molested and abused and raped and pillaged of parts by multiple previous owners. Red is a 5 speed manual and manual transfercase from the factory! (I prefer manual and it took me over 5 months to find this...) EVERYTHING works on Red and works really really good! I have receipts from the previous owner of a ford crate motor installed by ford dealer with less then 20K on it. I also have receipts for a rebuilt 5 speed trans from the ford dealer with less the 15K on it. Red runs great!!! Only issues are inside, he's missing a center console, the headliner looks like it got in a fight with a lion and the dash is cracking.

Nice thing though, whitey's interior is in great shape and is the same color so it's just a matter of swapping out the parts!

Meet red...

3Ld3M33N25N75J75M9ccfe41e7926fb461e73_zps3f75ef4f.jpg

3E73Jf3N25K15H45Mbccf314eef2d0d4a10ec_zpsf4ff24d2.jpg

So the plan is to take all the fun suspension parts off of whitey and use them to build Red. Along the way I'm adding a few more custom touches and upgrades as well. Is this going to be some long drawn out never finished project? Heck no!!!! I have about 95% of the parts on hand for the entire build and I'm hoping for the entire build to take about 2 months total to finish EVERYTHING wanted with the only exceptions being a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.8 and a front winch. I'm not saying those won't be done in the next 2 months but they aren't a priority and I'm kinda just waiting for a deal I can't pass up type situation before pulling the trigger on one or both.

So, here's the parts I currently have in my possession slated to get put on Red.

• 12" king coilovers for front
  • cut and turned D35 beams, widened 4.5" per side, uniball pivots
  • Extended radius arms with heimed pivots
  • front 3rd memeber with 4.56 gears and powertrax no slip
  • custom machined axles for new wider track width, not cut and sleeved but new custom machined axles
  • 2" stroke hydro bumps for the front end to help for the occasional hard hit.
  • National spring leafs for the rear
  • custom shackles
  • 12" stroke king 3 tube bypass shocks
  • fiberwerx rear panels
  • newer ford 8.8 with discs, 4.56 gears
  • Detriot locker new in the box ready to install in the 8.8

Whitey has the 95+ conversion clip on it. While I like it, it's not what I want, so that whole clip is getting sold. Red will keep the classic front square body lines but I have a set of mcneil 6" fiberglass fenders currently on order. I should see them this week or next supposedly.

Also I'll be upgrading the steering and building a single side swing set steering for red to keep the bumpsteer hopefully somewhat minimal.

Now what am I building? Well, with the list of parts above you can tell it should be a fairly capable ride. My intent is to keep the interior 100% stock. No cage, no cutting, no craziness. Inside is going to get a mild stereo system and cleaned up. Because I'm not going to be tubbing the rear wheel wells tire size will be limited to what I can fit in them. I will be either on 33" or 35" tires mounted on champion beadlocks (different then the KMC beads that are currently on whitey).

My intent when finished is to have a clean fairly different somewhat head turning type daily driver ford explorer. I want a nice all purpose vehicle. Something I can cruise comfortably around town, hold a decent pace in the dirt, pull it into 4lo and go show my jeep friends what's up. It's not being built to haul butt or race around in. I actually own another vehicle that's MUCH more suited for that kind of stuff and actually is purpose built for that. I also am partners in an offroad race truck which this explorer will see chase duties for so why would I go out and jump this thing and beat it thru whoops when I own and have access to better tools for that job. It will be setup to handle the occasional hard hit though as you can tell.

So there's my novel!!! Following posts from here out will be mostly picture oriented to document the build and answer any questions people may have or what not so lets get started...

Khris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man!

The window area is a little ugly and I could've spent some time to make it more pretty but I'm more interested on it just being functional at least. I didn't do any trim around the top so what you're seeing here is just plated right over the existing window and actually closing it in a little bit.

100_1581_zpsbb4befc2.jpg

BTW, that picture there is the full extreme opposite of the previous picture cycle wise. This is driver side full bump and passenger full droop.

Also, the bumpstop picture above looks much better in person. The angle that picture was taken makes it look like the top part of the mounting plates aren't even close to symmetrical which actually they are. It's actually pretty impressive how much different that picture looks then what it looks like in real life when you can move your point of view obviously.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Didn't get as much done as I'd hoped last night but got a start. Main structure for driver side hoop is there at least with frame plated and stuff. Tonight I'm hoping to get the 3rd tube in on that side and some gussets to the frame and other areas. If that goes semi fast I might even get started on the passenger side too. Both sides will be tied together with removable cross tubes as well.

100_1586_zps9bf23ddf.jpg

100_1585_zps322a963d.jpg

No pictures this time but I got the passenger side buttoned up and ready to go last night. Just need to do engine crossover tubes and front engine cage is done. I'm running today on my lunch break to pickup some custom intake goodies so I hopefully have something to work with/around whatever the heck I'm gonna do in regards to routing my intake now that my passenger side filter area is stuffed with shock mount tubes. That's pretty much the last kinda unknown to figure out in getting the front end together. Still lagging on getting my steering parts ordered. Was hoping today but need to make a call or two still. If I get the whole engine cage buttoned up this weekend I'll move onto other things like mounting the front fenders, redoing one of the rear fender mount setups, interior upgrades and if still waiting I'll start knocking out my rock sliders. Definitely have enough work to do in other areas to keep me moving forward on progress even without the steering done.

What are you gonna do with that prerunner front bumper from Whitey? That's the exact one that I want

Neighbor kid actually bought the skidplates off it just the other day for $20. The rest of it I planned on leaving with it cause it's actually welded to the frame rails pretty solid. If you really wanted it I could cut the frame rails off a few inches back and I guess figure out how to ship it? I'm not sure how much effort it would be worth though. Me personally, I'd rather build a new one then try to cut this one free from the frame rail good enough to reuse. I'll try to remember to get some pictures of it's attachment to see if you think you can use it. If so, $20 and you cover shipping once I figure out how to ship it?

Well, it's been a little while since I've posted a few photos so here's what I've been up to.

Engine cage is pretty much buttoned up. Just need to weld the cross tubes in permanent but I'm holding off till I get my intake 100% figured out. Right now I'm planning to route it to the driverside basically between the master cylinder for the brakes and the top of the motor. It's about the only space open to put it.

100_1592_zpsd47354d9.jpg

On the shock hoop areas I'm hitting the bottom side of the frame and then have a 3rd kicker like tube going to the inside top edge of the frame. I figure every little bit should help.

100_1593_zpscf6c5b7e.jpg

Spent yesterday afternoon and this morning getting the front fenders mounted. I'm used to offroad glass fitting kinda crappy and this is no different. It is what it is though and I'm not out to build a show car so I'm happy enough with how it is. It definitely feels like it's mounted solid which is nice!

100_1594_zpse42d404a.jpg

100_1597_zps88bdc689.jpg

100_1599_zps4f320da8.jpg

100_1598_zps4c64bc23.jpg

100_1596_zps263a091f.jpg

100_1595_zpsa6d20b91.jpg

My parents leave town tomorrow so I can get back to 100% focusing on this build. My goal is to have the center console installed, headlines swapped and rear fender fixed up by the end of the week. Anything beyond that should be icing on the cake! I'm 100% for sure ordering the heims I need to get my steering in the works tomorrow along with ordering the tubing for my tie rods and also some tubing to build some rock sliders. SHould have enough to keep moving forward and stay busy. Oh I'm also hoping I can get the intake all figured out this week as well... It should be driving fairly soon I would think.

Well, it's been a little while since I've posted a few photos so here's what I've been up to.

Engine cage is pretty much buttoned up. Just need to weld the cross tubes in permanent but I'm holding off till I get my intake 100% figured out. Right now I'm planning to route it to the driverside basically between the master cylinder for the brakes and the top of the motor. It's about the only space open to put it.

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/sirhk100/media/Expo/100_1592_zpsd47354d9.jpg.html

On the shock hoop areas I'm hitting the bottom side of the frame and then have a 3rd kicker like tube going to the inside top edge of the frame. I figure every little bit should help.

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/sirhk100/media/Expo/100_1593_zpscf6c5b7e.jpg.html

Spent yesterday afternoon and this morning getting the front fenders mounted. I'm used to offroad glass fitting kinda crappy and this is no different. It is what it is though and I'm not out to build a show car so I'm happy enough with how it is. It definitely feels like it's mounted solid which is nice!

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/sirhk100/media/Expo/100_1594_zpse42d404a.jpg.html

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/sirhk100/media/Expo/100_1597_zps88bdc689.jpg.html

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/sirhk100/media/Expo/100_1599_zps4f320da8.jpg.html

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/sirhk100/media/Expo/100_1598_zps4c64bc23.jpg.html

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/sirhk100/media/Expo/100_1596_zps263a091f.jpg.html

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/sirhk100/media/Expo/100_1595_zpsa6d20b91.jpg.html

My parents leave town tomorrow so I can get back to 100% focusing on this build. My goal is to have the center console installed, headlines swapped and rear fender fixed up by the end of the week. Anything beyond that should be icing on the cake! I'm 100% for sure ordering the heims I need to get my steering in the works tomorrow along with ordering the tubing for my tie rods and also some tubing to build some rock sliders. SHould have enough to keep moving forward and stay busy. Oh I'm also hoping I can get the intake all figured out this week as well... It should be driving fairly soon I would think.

Sounds like a plan man. If you could PM me those pics then it'd be great, that way you don't have to have your thread all messy from pics and whatnot. That's the exact bumper I've been looking for, how much does it weigh? And would it bolt/weld up to a 2nd gen front end? Thanks!

I've got the pictures on my camera, just need to get them off it so I can post. LOL

Not a whole lot of progress though since Sunday's post. Had a friend in town last night so really didn't do anything except come up with a 2nd opinion and a possible better solution to my intake puzzle.

Monday night I got the center console pulled out of whitey. The die cast aluminum mounting tower/bracket underneath it was cracked though so I hauld butt to the local junkyard and for a whopping $7 and some change pulled one out of another expo. I got that installed monday night and will definitely be happy to finally have a center console again. It's awkward not having a spot for your right arm you know...

Tonight my plans are to try and find coupler I need for the intake and if so I'll get the intake routed and make a tab to mount the MAF to. Then I can do some final measurements to get a new filter ordered to fit in the space I'm cramming it.

After that, I'd like to knock out some minor stuff inside the cab still. Swap out the factory ford door speakers for some kicker 6x9's that I pulled out of the doors of whitey. I'll also probably pull the deck out of whitey and grab the sub/amp combo too out of him. I'd like to at least get the deck installed in red and then depending on time go buy a new amp wiring kit or just call it a night. I want to figure out a quick mount/quick release type setup for the sub/amp combo to help the thieves out! LOL, okay, actually it's so I can easily pull it out and toss it on the front seat for when I want to lay an air mattress out in the back and sleep. It may even just be some folding type flat hooks bolted to the floor with a strap holding it down. Doesn't need to be anything fancy... Will be nice to have some decent sound for my AM talk radio commutes to work! LOL I do like some good sound tunes on my weekend adventures though!

Engine cage done
Intake system done (just need to order filter but current one will work fine temporarily)
fittings on coilovers installed too.

Tonight I'm hoping to mount the reservoirs for the front coilovers, swap door speakers and install the stereo. Also need to do some work on the race truck to get it ready for testing tomorrow. If heims for my steering show up today I'll mock that up and get it all figured out on Sunday.

I'm starting to run rockslider ideas thru my head. Anyone ever done something like this the full length? I initially was going to build something that tucked tightly under it for impacts straight down on rocks but kinda liking this for the step function and also for protection leaning into obstacles. I'm not sure if I'd like this or if it would get annoying?

Seems like it might help protect the rear fiberglass a bit even.

644581_533143623391534_1298319615_n.jpg

I've seen a show your winch mount thread, a show your tire carrier bumper thread, a show your front bumper thread, but not a slider thread... Is there one? I'd love to see some ideas?

My concern with that one is how it is getting in and out. I'm not sure if I'd like the "step" function of it or if that would annoy me. I was DD'ing a toyota FJ by chance last week and it had some sliders I built on it and it annoyed me that everytime I got out I ran my leg across them. They weren't a true step though as you can see...

2011-11-07_09-04-47_757.jpg

2011-11-07_09-04-42_227.jpg

You know, there isn't a thread like that. There was one started a long time ago, but I think it was before most people had sliders!

Mine were like that FJ you pictured. A lot of guys go that route or even a 2x6 so it's solid. Both work great and I think it's a personal preference on looks as to why people use either one.

EDIT: some here - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234106

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to see some others just to get a real visual idea before just going for it and hoping I like how it turns out. That thread definitely gives me an idea of what it might visually look like, thanks for that link!

I've got some 2x2 square that's .375 wall, monster thick stuff, like rip off the expo before it dents type of stuff laying around to use as a base. Off that I was planning on doing something similar to what I did on the FJ above but then I saw that bronco picture on another forum and the step feature seemed kinda nice but I'm a little wishy washy on if it would annoy me or actually be nice to have. I'm tall so getting in isn't hard but for shorter friends/chicks it might be nice. Plus if I go the full length of it for both doors it would help protect the rear glass and also allow my gorilla warriors to ride on the side with their guns and rocket launchers for my next planned invasion.

Actually now that I think about it, I built some for my old jeep that were like that too. LOL

100_0884.jpg

Either way I'll probably do something like this, it's just do I want to go actually wide enough to truly build a step into it or not?

Yeah, I think I'm going to lean towards that style for sure at this point. I can always redo it if I don't like it. I'll make it bolt on.

The weekend was a bit of a bust. Got NOTHING done on the expo. Spent Friday night prepping the race truck. Took the race truck out Sat and spent the whole day playing with it. Put some serious miles down on it and it didn't skip a beat other then my driver error seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v1ncf8MkXyI

I'm still waiting on the heims for my steering. The tubing for my tie rods showed up on Friday and I had big plans for either steering if I had the parts or other projects on it yesterday if not. Well, I woke up sick as can be yesterday and spent the day bouncing between the living room TV and my bed. I mustered the energy to drill a single hole last night just to make sure my bit would work or to see if i needed to pickup a replacement today.

I'm still feeling pretty crappy and may actually head home from work here mid morning at the rate I'm going. Would be nice if the heims showed up today though as I could get started on it all tonight or at least this week make some serious progress in it all I'd hope. Either way, progress will commence in one form or another once I'm feeling up to it. Even without the heims for steering, there's plenty on the "to do" list still.

There is a bunch of pics of my full sliders for a few more views for ideas.
My Slider Build
Mine are just out enough to stand on to climb in. Climbing out though is hard to get a foot on them. May do some tubing on the outside like in that first pic on the thread since I am now full width. But, like you said may be really annoying to always rub your legs on them getting out.

Okay, tracking now shows heims will be here tomorrow. Whatever... Gives me a night to run errands. I got the front reservoirs mounted last night, got a vacuum canister that needed relocated moved last night, got my front door speakers swapped out and pulled the deck out of whitey to eventually put in red as well. I'm still a bit under the weather so I called it a night at that point. I then created a full hardware list of everything I need to pickup as far as nuts and bolts go for a final front end install with exception of my steering hardware. I ordered my air filter yesterday as well...

Today after work I'm heading to the steel yard to pickup the foundation tubing for my rock sliders. Basically I've decided on some thick walled 2x2 is what I'm going to lay the length of it right under the body along the pinch seam. I'll build off of that eventually down the road but that will be a good starting point at least. I'm also picking up some tubing to work with during my steering mockup which will hopefully be able to begin tomorrow evening!

Things look on schedule to possibly be driving it by late sat or even earlier if the steering turns out to be relatively easy.

Basically right now my order of work is...

Fab steering
install front bumper
fill diffs with oil
test drive
install stereo deck
fab rock sliders
install sub/amp
redo one rear fender and button up fenders
install rear bumper and figure out how to strengthen it up and build a hitch into it.
headline swap
body/paint

If it's driving next week I'll probably look into getting the windows tinted ASAP as well before the summer heat kicks in. Every little bit helps here in Vegas!

Are you keeping the stock rear bumper? If yours is mounted the same way mine is on my 2nd gen, you can chop 2" off the L shaped brackets that connect the bumper to the frame, and put a 2x3" tube across inside the bumper, and poke a hitch out above the middle step.
IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

Oh!!! I like that! I'm not keeping the stock rear bumper but with what I have planned I think that still would work! Thanks for the pictures!

Well it should be an interesting evening! My "plan" is to haul butt home from work and instantly unpack the rod ends that should be at the house hopefully by the time I get home. I need those so I can figure out bolt lengths. I typically get my hardware from a local Ace which typically has a pretty good selection but I don't think they're going to have what I need for these.

I'll get my hardware list quickly figured out and then haul butt across Vegas to a more specialty type place and hopefully get everything I need there. Then jet home and begin on the fun. Step one is going to be building my passenger side steering frame swinger. I have the parts cut out for this based on a friends design. I'm "hoping" this is going to work for mine as well. Once I get that laid out and tacked together I'll tack it up on the frame rails. From there, I'll knock out the passenger side tie rod and get it to cycle up thru everything it needs to clear. After that I'll get the connector between the pitman arm and the swinger built and then lastly figure out the drivers side tie rod. It all sounds much easier then I'm guessing it will be.

I'll take pictures along the way though and see what I can come up with. Tonight I'll be using mockup cheaper tubing material to get it all figured out. Hoping I can get it mostly figured out tonight and button up the design work tomorrow night to possibly get moving onto fabbing up the real tie rods. We'll see...

Back