Who wants to see a doubler in front of an ATLAS? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who wants to see a doubler in front of an ATLAS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ha ha, look what I found, matching red crawler knob for my red Atlas shift knobs. The one I got is actually 2 3/4 inches tall vice the 3 3/4 inches tall pictured

Attachments

• MarlinRed.jpg
    MarlinRed.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 357

Now that is the height of sexyness!

How's that for a tranny crossmember? I had to go up and over the drive shaft, but I wanted to make sure I had enough strength, so I used a little confiscaded 1/2 flat bar I found at work.

Attachments

• IMG_20120506_195228.jpg
    IMG_20120506_195228.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 340

holy sticks batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20120506_141025.jpg
    IMG_20120506_141025.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 463

Sweet merciful god, that looks like too much fun.

Crawler box and t-case in high

Attachments

• IMG_20120506_141043.jpg
    IMG_20120506_141043.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 356

Crawler low, t-case high

Attachments

• IMG_20120506_141119.jpg
    IMG_20120506_141119.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 357

Stupid slow, both in low

Attachments

• IMG_20120506_141057.jpg
    IMG_20120506_141057.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 356

New driveshafts ordered. I didn't want to modify my current ones in case the crawler box fails on me. I doubt that it will, but with my luck, as soon as I don't have it, I'll need it.

Sounds like a damned good plan. How goes the new tranny crossmember?

...are those two sticks on the far right for Ox lockers?

No, the two sticks on the right are the rear cutting brakes.

Both crossmembers are done. I ran out of welding wire last night doing the finishing welds on the skid plate.

All I am waiting on now is the driveshafts. They should ship out tomorrow from Utah. If they get here by Friday, I'll trail test this weekend, if not, I'll play navigator for Phil.

No, the two sticks on the right are the rear cutting brakes.

Both crossmembers are done. I ran out of welding wire last night doing the finishing welds on the skid plate.

All I am waiting on now is the driveshafts. They should ship out tomorrow from Utah. If they get here by Friday, I'll trail test this weekend, if not, I'll play navigator for Phil.

:thumbsup:

Hope they arrive in time.

So the drive shafts arrived yesterday, but I was just too pooped to put them in, rough day at work.

But I did put them in tonight :D It took me a while to figure out that I messed up where low and high were on the crawler box, but once I did, I found out that even with a 9.42 t-case ratio, you can still stop an auto tranny on flat ground. However, give me a steep down hill and neutral may have to be quickly found. The down side is I am gonna be too cheap to buy another shift knob, so I just flipped it 180 degrees and I now have high and 7. Oh well, just another theft deterrent to the other 5 sticks on the center console.

At 4000 rpm, first gear didn't even move the speedometer. 4000 rpm in overdrive was 9.6 mph according to the gps. Speedometer was somewhere between 5 and 15.

The funniest thing is the whole truck lifts up like it has hydraulics when I put it in gear as the suspension absorbs the torque.

If you need driveshafts made again you should call "the u-joint" down here in Chehalis. They have always done me a good job.
I was wanting to get a Stak 3 speed for my Bronco but if this holds up for you I may do what you have just done on my Bronco.

Trail report

Well the crawler box worked flawlessly. I went out to Walker Valley for a shake down run before the big Memorial day weekend trip. I ended up running into Dwight and Scott out there as well.

The crawler box and shifter linkage worked flawlessly except I will need to adjust the position of the t-case shifters so the rear axle knob stops rattling against the tranny shifter enclosure.

First gear @ 3000rpm in stupid slow range doesn't even move the speedometer and with a firm pedal I was able to stop the truck even on downhills.

However, failure of a $3 seal on my steering gear caused the loss of about 3 bottles of Royal purple power steering fluid and cut the day short. I was able to reseal it with some blue RTV to get me off the trail and back to the trailer without burning up my pump.

Oh yeah, when I went to pop the hood to find my power steering fluid leak, the hood release latch came out in my hand and did not release the hood. After getting home, I knew I had another cable and handle somewhere, and after about an hour of searching, I found it. :D

Skid plate tested and approved. I am glad I went with 1/4" plate.

Attachments

• IMG_20120513_185323.jpg
    IMG_20120513_185323.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20120513_185347.jpg
    IMG_20120513_185347.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 261

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oof, that looks like it was fun. I'm glad you went with 1/4" too!

How do the welds on that corner look internally? Think any boxing/reinforcement will be necessary?

Edit: never-mind, I just looked at the pics closer and got how it is already reinforced.

Back