Show me your 20's on Explorers 2006 on.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show me your 20's on Explorers 2006 on....

Jon04 - Thanks for the pics of your OEM 20's. Definetely one of the best looking wheels for the Explorer. 20's are close to ideal size IMO, anything bigger has too many sacrafices in terms of ride and handling.

btw - Is that a polished finish on the Limited 20's?

Yes they are polished. They only came in polished if I'm not mistaken.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

imga0001k.jpg

I have 20x9.5 +20 offset. I went with 275/45/20 rubber, but its too wide and makes the truck grab and wander with every rut in the road. I'm goint to try 265/50/20 when I put them back on next summer.

I have 20x9.5 +20 offset. I went with 275/45/20 rubber, but its too wide and makes the truck grab and wander with every rut in the road. I'm goint to try 265/50/20 when I put them back on next summer.

i'm having trouble getting my pic up.

I have 275/45/20's and they don't wander at all. They did with the old set of tires that were worn badly, but my new ones and with an alignment are as straight as stockers. So I suggest when you put the 20's back on, get an alignment for them;)

I ended up with the Hankook Ventus ST RH06 tires(replaced Goodyear Eagle GTII's:thumbdwn:), they look good, do great in the rain, have a 50,000 mile warranty and I'l report back how they do in the snow;)

Here's mine, it's an 02' but from the front doors back, it's the same as an 06+.

100_1795.jpg

Tires-
0528002022.jpg

Thanks Limitedo2, excellent look .

Whay wheel is that?

DSC00098.jpg

They are Boss Motorsport 306's. They're not made anymore and are very hard to find, but if you search hard enough, you may luck out.

There's a company called True Forged that makes a similar wheel, but it will cost an arm and leg!

They are Boss Motorsport 306's. They're not made anymore and are very hard to find, but if you search hard enough, you may luck out.

There's a company called True Forged that makes a similar wheel, but it will cost an arm and leg!

I do think the brand (Boss) is still around.

You are correct and I'll clarify;). Boss Motorsport labels each wheel design with a number and mine is 306. They stopped making the 306 wheel design about 5-6 years ago I believe.

Here is the link to Boss Motorsports Wheels- http://www.bossmotorsports.com/wheels_truck.cfm

Thanks for clarrification, but I knew you meant the specific model was discontinued. Do you like the Boss wheel quality and ease of keeping balanced?

Are you happy with the Hankook tires? (which seem to do well in reviews)

I am happy with my wheels and they do seem to stay balanced well. I had A LOT of trouble getting brand new Firestone AT's balanced on my old 16's, but that's not worth talking about.

So far I really like the Hankooks. I researched tires for a long time and kept coming back to the Hankooks because of quality and price(also had a set on my fox that lasted and hooked well). Lightning owners seem to like the as tool. They do really good in the rain, are fairly quiet and we'll see in a month or so how they do in the snow/ice. I shopped around and found a small shop that carried them and got them for $156 a piece mounted with a lifetime balance/rotation. They are also rated to go 50,000 miles;)

For the money, there isn't a better tire in my opinion.

Please tell me you were forced by gunpoint to put those wheels on your Explorer.

no they look very nice with my Falken Tires(not shown in pic)

some like em some dont

I am happy with my wheels and they do seem to stay balanced well. I had A LOT of trouble getting brand new Firestone AT's balanced on my old 16's, but that's not worth talking about.

So far I really like the Hankooks. I researched tires for a long time and kept coming back to the Hankooks because of quality and price(also had a set on my fox that lasted and hooked well). Lightning owners seem to like the as tool. They do really good in the rain, are fairly quiet and we'll see in a month or so how they do in the snow/ice. I shopped around and found a small shop that carried them and got them for $156 a piece mounted with a lifetime balance/rotation. They are also rated to go 50,000 miles;)

For the money, there isn't a better tire in my opinion.

I'm impressed with Hankooks, I have the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo summer tire on my Mercedes C300 sedan, results have been excellent in first 6 months so far.

Thanks for the feedback on wheels/tires.

08 Ironman on Explorer 20" wheels
DSCF0001.jpg

Blackoutexplorer - Are those 22's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those nice factor 20's first came out as a special wheel for the Sport Trac Adrenalin. People loved them. Many forums and customers sent in independent feedback to Ford requesting they produce this wheel for the unique and higher end Explorer trims.

Ford listened and they are now packaged with most of the higher level Explorer trims and the Sport Trac Adrenalin trim.

Back