navigation system on limited a real disapointment | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

navigation system on limited a real disapointment

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

“MyFord delivers a premium interior experience that will help consumers fall in love with their vehicles again,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford Group Vice President, Global Product Development. “It integrates all our signature features so customers will know exactly what they’re going to get in any Ford vehicle they may find themselves driving, no matter where they are in the world.”

MyFord Touch™ displays information using two 4.2-inch full-color LCD screens flanking an analog speedometer and an 8-inch touch-screen LCD at the top of the center stack. A five-way switch on each side of the steering wheel crossbar – similar to the one found on most mobile phones and MP3 players – controls the information displayed on the corresponding instrument panel screens.

Features available through MyFord Touch, powered by SYNC,® include:

Media Hub

Additional USB port for a total of two USB 2.0 inputs
SD card slot
RCA audio and video input jacks
Phone

Phone book contact photo download and 3-D carousel browsing
Birthday reminders
Enhanced error correction and reporting
Voice Recognition

Direct speech commands and “flattened structure” for quicker, more responsive voice control
Voice-command activation of selected climate control functions
Voice commands will be available for most radio functions, including AM/FM, HD Radio™ Technology and SIRIUS Satellite Radio
SIRIUS Game Finder application will facilitate automatic voice tuning for desired sporting events, using commands such as “Tune to Detroit Lions game” or “Show NFL games”
Navigation

Improved visual presentation of SYNC® with Traffic, Directions and Information app adds directional arrows, street names and distance markers
Map-based navigation app provided by TeleNav via an optional SD card
SD card navigation includes SIRIUS Travel Link™ services such as weather maps, movie listings, gas prices, and sports scores
SD card navigation also adds point-of-interest information for cities including ratings and amenities
Map data includes 3-D visual landmarks

At what point could this become a class action suit?

I don't know about class-action lawsuit, but it should be a Saturday Night Live skit, or something on the Jon Stewart Show. I'd probably laugh at the skit rather than boil at the Ford marketing stink.

It could easily use the passenger airbag sensor to determine presence of a passenger.

A "jailbreak patch" would be a welcome modification, just as it is on many other vehicles for those who take the time to learn about it and make the change. Obviously, the change would void warranty and liability--- err, obviously it SHOULD void liability but in our lawyer-run sesspool legal system it would merely be a point to argue.

Why does it matter if anyone can operate the navigation system?

It works so poorly I'm liable to use the free one on my Android phone instead that uses Google Maps & Google Satellite view.

Only complaint I have with the Navigation is the User Interface. Entering addresses is awkward & often I can not find the address I am looking for. Especially difficult with major highway addresses such as 123 US Highway 1.

Dave

How about when you put in the zip code and it still can't get the city? What's the point of putting in the zip code?

Or when you are leaving your first stop and want it to calculate the route to stop #2 and it says you are too close to your destination? Go a couple of miles (hopefully in the right direction) and then it will finally advance.

How, exactly, would it determine if the passenger was using it, and not the driver?

There will be a jailbreak patch at some point.

I think someone else responded, and this wasn't my idea, but I liked it. It can use the passenger airbag sensor to determine if there is a passenger. They can (if needed, put up a warning - "Drivers' should not use").

I don't think Ford needs to protect us from ourselves to the extent that it becomes a significant inconvenience.

Why does it matter if anyone can operate the navigation system?

It works so poorly I'm liable to use the free one on my Android phone instead that uses Google Maps & Google Satellite view.

I'm hoping that they fix the navigation (there certainly is enough discussion about MFT issues and navigation is a big one) at which point it would be nice if the passenger can operate it.

I think someone else responded, and this wasn't my idea, but I liked it. It can use the passenger airbag sensor to determine if there is a passenger. They can (if needed, put up a warning - "Drivers' should not use").

I don't think Ford needs to protect us from ourselves to the extent that it becomes a significant inconvenience.

Yeah, they had no objection to printing a message on the backup camera screen telling us to check surrounding area.

Well, excuse me but I HAVE to check the surrounding area because I can't see what the camera sees because your stupid message is right in the middle of the screen!

I'm just hoping they can fix this stupid issue.

IMAG0610.jpg

Yeah, I'm not driving in the middle of the woods.

I'm just hoping they can fix this stupid issue.

Yeah, I'm not driving in the middle of the woods.

Especially not with an "Explorer" equipped with an under grill plastic air dam all of 4 inches off the ground. Can't even clear a parking bumper with it.

Who designs these, do they ever get out of the office and drive a car?

russell bruesch said:
very frustrated with the factory nav system. You cant trust it to compute a correct route 50% of the time which means for long trips i still have to have a set of computer generated printed map quest instructions for my destination.

searching for P.O.I by name with voice commands is pretty useless 50% of the time also. It cant find a burger king restaurant 1 mile from my house when saying BURGER KING,or BURGER KING RESTAURANT. It responds by saying there are none in my area. This is just an example of how poor the voice interaction feature is with the navigation system.

Imputing the P.O.I manually by going through the various screens and pages on the 8 inch screen is clumbersome and distracting while driving and defeats the purpose and safety of the voice activation part of the system. It usually can find the P>O.I when searching manually.

Wish i never would have got the navigation system. Its the only source of aggravation on the whole vehicle. I have 2.8 sync loaded on the system. Have had my explorer since january, no other problems with the vehicle.

I agree. I traded a 2008 Explorer that had Nav on it. I had purchased an updated disc in 2010. That disc was further ahead than my new 2011 Nav is. I had a lot of saved points on my old car that don't even exist on my new one. Very disappointed. My iPhone is much better. Heck my old car was much better. They can't fix it at this point, they should at least apologize.

Apologize? Umm NO, Apologizes are like assholes everyone in prison expects them. How bout they just hurry up correct the deficiency and move on to the next item on the list.

Come to think about it, we should demand things get fixed by a certain date....kinda like the deficit. Once it is not completed and fixed then we move onto the Class Action Law Suit just like defaulting.

How bout them apples?

I agree, apology is owed.

Either:

1) Fix it (for free) - preferred
2) refund money - stinkin' thing was NOT cheap

I like them apples.

Apologize? Umm NO, Apologizes are like assholes everyone in prison expects them. How bout they just hurry up correct the deficiency and move on to the next item on the list.

Come to think about it, we should demand things get fixed by a certain date....kinda like the deficit. Once it is not completed and fixed then we move onto the Class Action Law Suit just like defaulting.

How bout them apples?

They should fix it now, also refund monies for folks suffering with it this long. Did anyone create an MFT checklist, so newer users can check the issues to see if it was addressed in later builds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My boyfriend has a $120k Corvette and the Nav in it sucks too. I've never seen a factor Nav that I've been impressed with actually. I just took delivery of my 2012 Limited last Friday and I can't even get the Nav to recognize where I am!! It still thinks the car is in Chicago....where it was built!! I've tried everything....

Back