2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 57 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JFE, mbowsher, & Wightmn,

Thanks for updating us; I’m happy your dealer took care of you.

AJGROGG,

I want to offer my assistance by escalating this to your Regional Customer Service Manager. For me to help, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, dealer name/state, and mileage.

Have you had a chance to go to the dealer, willied? I have your details from before, so please send me a PM with your current mileage and I’ll arrange a follow-up call.

I’m really glad to see your concern was fixed, tvee; thanks for posting your experience. :)

tropicvi,

Even though I can’t help, I highly recommend calling the Virgin Islands Customer Assistance Centre @ +1-800-841-3673 (FORD) for further assistance.

Cory
Hi Cory ; I'm from western Canada , is there a contact person I can get ahold of that can help me with a steering failure on my 2014 Ford Explorer ?
Thanks Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Cory ; I'm from western Canada , is there a contact person I can get ahold of that can help me with a steering failure on my 2014 Ford Explorer ?
Thanks Bryan
Hi Bryan. Cory hasn't been on here for a few years. If you are looking for assistance from the Ford reps you can PM FordSeviceCA at;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordServiceCA
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
I would expect that like the U.S. reps they will not be in until Tuesday due to the Labour Day holiday.

Peter (Sens Fan)

:usa:Wow a lot of people are having this problem. This is the first issue we've had with my wife's 2012 XLT 4X4 with 127,000 miles on it.

I called our dealership and they stated our VIN wasn't on their list of recalls. I contacted Ford and was told the were 2 recalls (14S06 and 15S18) that covered explorers built between Sept 2010 and Feb 2012 our 2012 was built in Aug 2011. The lady I spoke with stated even though our VIN wasn't listed they may still do something called a Customer Satisfaction Recall (15N01). just because the VIN doesn't match doesn't mean its not the same problem. But first my local dealership has to diagnose the problem before Ford will look into covering it. Has anyone ever heard of this Customer Satisfaction recall before??

We really love our Explorer over 100K miles before it needed its Tires and Brakes replaced and the tires were just under 50% 5/32. But losing steering control is scary, especially when its my wife and child that are in the truck most of the time (I have a Focus as my Daily Driver). Hopefully this will be covered we don't have the extra cash like most people to fix something like this right away as I saw posted they were quoted $1650.00 to fix this problem:(
:feedback: :chug:

:usa:Wow a lot of people are having this problem. This is the first issue we've had with my wife's 2012 XLT 4X4 with 127,000 miles on it.

I called our dealership and they stated our VIN wasn't on their list of recalls. I contacted Ford and was told the were 2 recalls (14S06 and 15S18) that covered explorers built between Sept 2010 and Feb 2012 our 2012 was built in Aug 2011. The lady I spoke with stated even though our VIN wasn't listed they may still do something called a Customer Satisfaction Recall (15N01). just because the VIN doesn't match doesn't mean its not the same problem. But first my local dealership has to diagnose the problem before Ford will look into covering it. Has anyone ever heard of this Customer Satisfaction recall before??

We really love our Explorer over 100K miles before it needed its Tires and Brakes replaced and the tires were just under 50% 5/32. But losing steering control is scary, especially when its my wife and child that are in the truck most of the time (I have a Focus as my Daily Driver). Hopefully this will be covered we don't have the extra cash like most people to fix something like this right away as I saw posted they were quoted $1650.00 to fix this problem:(
:feedback: :chug:
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Be sure to file a report with the NHTSA. The link is in post 1108.

Peter

I got mine back yesterday. They replaced the entire steering rack, outside tie rod ends and the two rear sub frame bushings. So far, it feels much stiffer and has a far more "solid" feeling over uneven surfaces in the road. It's only been 100 miles, so we'll see...

my 2013 Ford Explorer XLT lost power steering today. I called the dealership right away and they said there was no TSB or open recalls for my vehicle. Told me they would not look at or do anything with it because I was able to regain power steering by restarting the car. What a crook of ****. Losing power steering while driving is pretty scaring and a major safety issue and they just told me to see if it happens again????? I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA as it appears that Ford has a bigger problem then the original recall.

General question. When I lost my power steering I had a check engine light on. Upon restarting the vehicle power steering and the CEL went away. Similar symptoms as other people?

^ yup, same issue. Rack will need to be replaced.

The dealership i was dealing with replaced my steering rack ; it wasn't under the recall but they worked something out and it didn't cost me a thing . It's my third explorer I purchased from them so maybe that had something to something to do with the result . Very pleased to say the least .

my 2013 Ford Explorer XLT lost power steering today. I called the dealership right away and they said there was no TSB or open recalls for my vehicle. Told me they would not look at or do anything with it because I was able to regain power steering by restarting the car. What a crook of ****. Losing power steering while driving is pretty scaring and a major safety issue and they just told me to see if it happens again????? I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA as it appears that Ford has a bigger problem then the original recall.

General question. When I lost my power steering I had a check engine light on. Upon restarting the vehicle power steering and the CEL went away. Similar symptoms as other people?
I would suggest sending a PM to FordService and see if they can help.

Peter

Peter
I'll Pm them but I won't hold my breath. Do you guys know how long a code will remain in memory. At this point that code is my way to show the dealership what happened

Peter
I did last week ; they said it didn't fall under the effects
How do I get them to do that? They told me to essentially pound sand
i think there they can do more than they lead on with the customer . They didn't let on how they could do it , they did mention my brand loyalty and dealership loyalty was a factor .

I'll Pm them but I won't hold my breath. Do you guys know how long a code will remain in memory. At this point that code is my way to show the dealership what happened
Some seem to be erased upon restarting the vehicle. It might be an idea to try and get a picture of the code if you have a way of extracting it. Just a thought.

Peter

Some seem to be erased upon restarting the vehicle. It might be an idea to try and get a picture of the code if you have a way of extracting it. Just a thought.

Peter
I have forscan so I might try that. My adapters comes in today for it

Little update based on my current power steering issues. Yesterday when i got into the car and started it up the terrain management system said it failed which shut of terrain management and transaction control (i had both traction control lights on as well). Interestingly enough my power steering still worked and the car drove ok. About 20 minutes into my drive home the warning lights on the LED display went away as well as the two traction control lights. I took it into the dealership this morning and they said that no codes were stored in the vehicle. They have escalated an inquiry to Ford to try and figure out what is going on. The technician mentioned that my car may be having communication issues between the ABS module and power steering modules. I asked him what the fix for that would be and he was unable to answer.

Got to love it.. my wife on her way to drop my daughter off at school.

This will be the first replacement on our 2011.

16468_zpsi9by8vgk.jpeg

Peter
I went that route, Peter. The only thing the Reps did was to have a customer service rep call me who did, wait for it, NOTHING. I was told "the dealer couldn't see the code required to document the problem, and they would not replace anything under warranty". BUT - I could spend $300 on "diagnostic time" and if they found something, then they would think about covering it.

I traded off the '11 and bought the '16. Happily, it's had none of the power steering issues, or other issues, as the '11, except for intermittent MFT problems.

All in all, I'm happy with the '16 over the first 10k miles.

What's better then having your steering rack replaced???

Having it replaced again after the new one failed in less then 18 hours... a whopping 22 miles we drove till it failed again.

What adds icing to the cake is Roadside would not tow it to the same dealer because it is 9 miles further then the closest dealer to me. So here I am driving it to the dealer with zero power steering and my 6 year old in the car with me.

NHTSA and BBB here I come.

Go Ford!!

20160930_093756_zpsdf3z454g.jpg

What's better then having your steering rack replaced???

Having it replaced again after the new one failed in less then 18 hours... a whopping 22 miles we drove till it failed again.

What adds icing to the cake is Roadside would not tow it to the same dealer because it is 9 miles further then the closest dealer to me. So here I am driving it to the dealer withis zero power steering and my 6 year old in the car with me.

NHTSA and BBB here I come.

Go Ford!!
Wow.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both BBB and NHTSA have been filed. Will update when contacted.

Back