Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
2003 XLT 4WD
4.0 SOHC
110,231 Miles

Will not go over 5mph but it wants to die out. Max rpm is 2000(even at almost wide open)then it bogs down to around 500 rpms then back to normal idle.

It's not missing at all.

I went to Lowe's yesterday it was fine. Left the store stopped at a red light and it took off as usual but on the entrance ramp it started to bog down. I barely got it on the shoulder. Service Engien Soon light was on.

Got it home and after some reading I decided to replace the TPS. Remove the battery cables, removed the TB, swapped the sensor out, replaced everything, put the positive on but not negative to reset it. Waited 45 minutes. No change.

Today I remove the blue cap and checked to see if it was getting enough fuel. I do not have a gauge but I'd find it hard to believe that what was there wasn't enough.

There is a rattle but my ears are not good and I cannot pinpoint it. I can hear it while under the hood with the engine running or from the driver's seat with the door open.

I ordered a Blue Drive scanner on Amazon last night and it got here today. No codes except the P1000.

I've found videos, threads, and other sites that say timing chain, clogged cat, O2 sensors, and a bad pcm.

Plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel filter all done within the last 12 months.

I'm not a mechanic really and 85% of what I have learned has come from this forum so I can't offer much.

Can a dealer pull codes that my scanner cannot see and find out whay that SES light was for?

I can take screen shots of whatever data my scanner can provide if that'd help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dropped oil pan.

No plastic found in pan.

Strained old oil no plastic in there either.

Plugged exhaust

Worth a look imo

Plugged exhaust

Worth a look imo

I'm hoping that is what it is.

If I yank the cats off since the o2 sensors will not be in place is it wise for me to run the truck without them to see how it responds to the throttle or should I avoid doing that?

I'm not sure if it will even run

Took a video of it running. My amateur guess is a lifter.

I'll look into if they have one that works with android.

I own no windows products currently.

Just curious is there specific data I need to look for?

O2 sensor live data
Misfire count
Maf
Coolant temperature
Etc....

Ok I can do coolant temp, mass airflow rate, and any of these o2 sensors. Which of the o2 sensors do I need the data from? All?

Mass air flow rate is 1.1-1.2 lbs/ min

Coolant temp is 185

Edit: took screen shots of almost everything I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-17-36.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-17-36.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-17-44.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-17-44.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-29-38.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-29-38.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-29-06.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-29-06.png
    189 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-28-25.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-28-25.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-27-38.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-06-17-27-38.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 272

bank 1 sensor 1
Bank 2 sensor 1
Short and long term trims

I think you have a misfire
That's where I'd start

Posted everything I have. I can post mode 6 data if need be. Not sure what mode 6 is but there is some.

bank 1 sensor 2
Bank 2 sensor 1
Short and long term trims

I think you have a misfire
That's where I'd start

Dumb question.

Why is it not throwing a code for a misfire?

I had two codes for that last year then I changed the coil pack(motorcraft) and pulled the neg battery cable to reset and it never came back.

I don't remember the codes exactly but it was cylinders 3 and 6.

Wow; you're really going in deep on this one; all manner of sensors and data!

It worked fine, and then suddenly didn't, with no knocking or smoke or overheating or other drama. That suggests (to me) an electrical failure or a computer failure. You also might look very closely at all vacuum tubes and hoses for splits.

Failing all that, I'd suggest that one of your timing chains has slipped/jumped/whatever somehow. Running normally at idle but abnormally on load / vice-versa is a classic indicator of cams out of time. The noise you're hearing might be timing chain slap: ot's not lifters, as your car has no hydraulic lifters. In your video, it sounds like it's coming from the forward end of the driver's side engine bank, which is precisely where the cam timing chain is for that side.

Unfortunately, the only way I know of to confirm is to time the camshafts. Not SUPER-hard, but it does require a special tool set, and once you get in there you will likely find that all the timing chain guides are trashed as well. Timing chain guide failures are a classic problem on these machines.

I've done this job many times, and my Explorer has exactly this engine. If you wanna tackle it, happy to help.

Since this is a wasted spark ignition system a misfire's can and commonly happen in pairs...

I'd replace all the spark plugs with new Motorcraft SP500s and if it still does it replace the spark plug wires and if it still does it replace the coil pack.

Since this is a wasted spark ignition system a misfire's can and commonly happen in pairs...

I'd replace all the spark plugs with new Motorcraft SP500s and if it still does it replace the spark plug wires and if it still does it replace the coil pack.

Pulled all the plugs and they all look the same. Rechecked the gaps on them.

.53 on each plug

Plugs, wires, coil packs all done October of 19. All motorcraft parts.

I try and always use OEM parts when it's engine related.

I'll pull them all again and take pictures, maybe I just don't know what I am looking at.

This is the "family car" so I have to get it fixed asap. Can't have the kids missing dentist appointments or hockey practice.

It's been so reliable since I got it back in 2014 with 68k on it that I hate to give up on it.

Wow; you're really going in deep on this one; all manner of sensors and data!

It worked fine, and then suddenly didn't, with no knocking or smoke or overheating or other drama. That suggests (to me) an electrical failure or a computer failure. You also might look very closely at all vacuum tubes and hoses for splits.

Failing all that, I'd suggest that one of your timing chains has slipped/jumped/whatever somehow. Running normally at idle but abnormally on load / vice-versa is a classic indicator of cams out of time. The noise you're hearing might be timing chain slap: ot's not lifters, as your car has no hydraulic lifters. In your video, it sounds like it's coming from the forward end of the driver's side engine bank, which is precisely where the cam timing chain is for that side.

Unfortunately, the only way I know of to confirm is to time the camshafts. Not SUPER-hard, but it does require a special tool set, and once you get in there you will likely find that all the timing chain guides are trashed as well. Timing chain guide failures are a classic problem on these machines.

I've done this job many times, and my Explorer has exactly this engine. If you wanna tackle it, happy to help.

I started to strip down the top of the engine tonight and will finish tomorrow. I want to get that driver side valve cover off and see what is what.

Not finding plastic bits in the oil pan gives me some hope nothing is broken.

Not finding plastic bits in the oil pan gives me some hope nothing is broken.
That's good news really
I don't hear timing chains at all

Plugs from driver side. Like I said above they look ok to me but I don't know as much as you all do.

Also I did not use motorcraft plugs as I said earlier. I put motorcraft in my f150. I used the autolite plugs for the Explorer.

Attachments

• image0000001_01~2.jpg
    image0000001_01~2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 290

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plugs look good

Same plugs I use

Take care not to strip out the spark plug hole in the heads it happens easily

Back